Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

G'bye, Richie Porte!!!!

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

G'bye, Richie Porte!!!!

Old 12-29-21, 03:39 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
G'bye, Richie Porte!!!!

Richie Porte confirms no Tour de France return in farewell season - VeloNews.com
Old 12-30-21, 12:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
While I don't really have favorites riders that I cheer on, Ritchie has been a interesting cyclist to watch. He pulled a lot for Chris Froome before that bad crash on stage 9 in the 2017 TdF at the very time he was ready to go on to bigger and better things. His form after that crash just took too long to get back and he had a series of bad crashes to boot. I'd have liked to have seen what he'd have done if it weren't for that crash.

He's won or did very well in a lot of races though, so he still retires with more triumphs than many do.

Old 12-31-21, 05:02 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 445 Posts
We'll always have Wilunga. With his name in lights. Or at least chalk scrawlings.

Richie had more than his share of misfortune and of triumphs..
Likes For slcbob:
Old 01-02-22, 10:05 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
While I don't really have favorites riders that I cheer on, Ritchie has been a interesting cyclist to watch. He pulled a lot for Chris Froome before that bad crash on stage 9 in the 2017 TdF at the very time he was ready to go on to bigger and better things. His form after that crash just took too long to get back and he had a series of bad crashes to boot. I'd have liked to have seen what he'd have done if it weren't for that crash.

He's won or did very well in a lot of races though, so he still retires with more triumphs than many do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FMMjEcYcQ
I feel the same way about Evenepoel. I think that terrible crash on August 15, 2020 really took away from what he otherwise would have achieved. Hope I’m wrong, but how would we ever know?
Old 01-03-22, 03:11 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
We'll always have Wilunga. With his name in lights. Or at least chalk scrawlings.

Richie had more than his share of misfortune and of triumphs..
he was definitely auditioning for the talansky-menchov club. trifecta?
Old 01-03-22, 05:20 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Iride01
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I feel the same way about Evenepoel. I think that terrible crash on August 15, 2020 really took away from what he otherwise would have achieved. Hope I’m wrong, but how would we ever know?
+1 on "how would we ever know?" We won't. But I think they are very different crashes. Other than the fact that they were garish, in which case you could include Froome, Jens Voigt, Chloe Dygert, Jakobsen, Cav, et al. Too long a list.

Porte was in his 30s when he took that flyer. We had a lot of time to see what he'd have done. Remco was in his teens.

Sure, in that specific race/season, Porte was in top form, having a great season, sitting at 5th place, looking great for a top 10 and strong for a podium, huge lost opportunity. A lot of fans had to be thinking "if something bad doesn't happen, he could do pretty well here."

Remco was much more of the wunderkind exploding onto the scene. A lot of fans had to be thinking "if something bad doesn't happen, I wonder if he could do well here?"

Wait a second...
Old 01-03-22, 06:05 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
he was definitely auditioning for the talansky-menchov club. trifecta?
The trifukta?
Likes For slcbob:
Old 01-04-22, 12:59 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
+1 on "how would we ever know?" We won't. But I think they are very different crashes. Other than the fact that they were garish, in which case you could include Froome, Jens Voigt, Chloe Dygert, Jakobsen, Cav, et al. Too long a list.
It sux that the sport is so dangerous and that so many pros suffer career-altering crashes. Considering the risks they take, the incidence of these crashes isn't actually very high. But it's enough. Or too much.

As I write this I'm finishing a very nice vacation in Girona. The descents around here are nothing compared to those in the real mountains, but they are more than enough for me. Windy repeated hairpins, roads with sudden edges and steep drop offs, a little dampness here and there. Riding around these last few days, a few people passed me on the climbs, but EVERYBODY passed me on the descents. And most of them weren't pros. Admittedly, I lack skills, but I gain even greater awe at the combination of skill and daring that it takes to race in typical European terrain.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-05-22, 01:33 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by MinnMan
It sux that the sport is so dangerous and that so many pros suffer career-altering crashes. Considering the risks they take, the incidence of these crashes isn't actually very high. But it's enough. Or too much.

As I write this I'm finishing a very nice vacation in Girona. The descents around here are nothing compared to those in the real mountains, but they are more than enough for me. Windy repeated hairpins, roads with sudden edges and steep drop offs, a little dampness here and there. Riding around these last few days, a few people passed me on the climbs, but EVERYBODY passed me on the descents. And most of them weren't pros. Admittedly, I lack skills, but I gain even greater awe at the combination of skill and daring that it takes to race in typical European terrain.
lucky ducky
Old 01-05-22, 03:12 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
lucky ducky
Indeed. Even better, my wife (who doesn't ride and also would never want to be called Mrs. Minnman or Ms. Minnman) liked Girona for her own reasons. I floated the idea of partial snowbirding here when I retire (very soon), and she didn't object. Maybe she thought I was joking......

AFAIK, I didn't mingle with any famous pros on my rides, but Strava flybys indicate that I crossed paths with an Israel Start-up Nation neopro (Taj Jones). Anybody better known either wasn't there or doesn't have flybys turned on.
Old 01-06-22, 04:08 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Indeed. Even better, my wife (who doesn't ride and also would never want to be called Mrs. Minnman or Ms. Minnman) liked Girona for her own reasons. I floated the idea of partial snowbirding here when I retire (very soon), and she didn't object. Maybe she thought I was joking......

AFAIK, I didn't mingle with any famous pros on my rides, but Strava flybys indicate that I crossed paths with an Israel Start-up Nation neopro (Taj Jones). Anybody better known either wasn't there or doesn't have flybys turned on.
seriously nice. looking to make it to the onda, spain (se of barcelona, a little north of valencia) area this summer and do some riding in the foothills, beaches but mostly mountains.