Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Dilemma what to get

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike Dilemma what to get

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 08:01 PM
Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Dilemma what to get

Hi all. I have an old 1981 chromoly bike. It weighs 30 + pounds. It has older components (like suntour for example) shifters on the downtubes etc. I am hoping to start commuting about 30 miles round trip 2-4 times per week the road can be somewhat rough in places. I also like to ride for fun on weekends and am going to enter some triathlons this summer for which it would be nice to have a fast bike. I can only afford one new bike. So I could get a new touring bike for my commute such as the Trek 520- won't be fast for racing but would be durable. Or I could commute on my old bike and purchase a racy carbon frame bike for racing and fast training rides. So what would you do if you were me? I assumed that you would not commute on a carbon frame (such as the trek Madone) but on another forum someone claimed that they commuted on a carbon bike (seems nutty to me). Thanks in advance for any wisdom that might be offered.
Old 03-07-07, 08:11 PM
wneumann
Weapons grade stupidity

Bikes: Univega Sportour & Cadillac RLE 1.8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's your budget like?

One of my bikes is much like your current bike (it's a '79 Univega), and my commute is a lot like yours (28-32 miles round trip depending of construction), and it works plenty fine for that commute. I do about 35% of my commutes on it, with the other 65% going to an Al bike with carbon fork/stays (I like the zippiness).

Anyway, if I were you I'd lean towards commuting on the steel and getting a sexy new bike for the tris.
Old 03-07-07, 08:25 PM
Mukluk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This all started when I located a used Trek Madone 5.2 WSD (it's all carbon) for a good price- I'm going to test ride it this weekend. I have been told by various bike shops that it isn't too worth it to attempt to upgrade my 1981- the shifting is a little sluggish but I'm used to it (folks at bike shops say, well you'd be better off putting the money into a new bike). I was able to get a new chain for the old bike last spring and I did pretty well in my first tri with the old bike (even passed someone on a Cervelo-though they later passed me back). I like the idea of a Women's specific design because I have the long legs and short torso that they are designed for. So the choice seems like new nicer bike for commuting (but not geared toward racing), or use my old bike for commuting and get the carbon one for racing. What to do.... If I could afford it I would get two new bikes but that's not an option. Also does anyone here commute on a carbon bike? If so what is that like? I'm not thinking a carbon bike would be strong enough to carry panniers etc- or doing so would be bad for the frame. Obviously I am lost and need some wisdom here.
Old 03-07-07, 08:43 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, what's your budget like? The 520 is 1200 dollars and the Madone is 8200... even used I'll assume it's over 2000 dollars. That's a big leap. Frankly there is no reason to go so far up the ladder on the road bike level if you're just starting in racing. For your needs a trek 1000 and some upgrades to your crMo bike might do you fine and be relatively easy on your wallet.

Also, a touring bike can be more easily modified to a regular road bike than you may think. A change of tires, a lowering of the handlebars, and a removal of the granny ring might be just fine as long as you're not a professional cyclist, which I'd assume you aren't (How many of us are?)

Last edited by M_S; 03-07-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 08:46 PM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mukluk
Also does anyone here commute on a carbon bike? If so what is that like? I'm not thinking a carbon bike would be strong enough to carry panniers etc- or doing so would be bad for the frame. Obviously I am lost and need some wisdom here.
Dont own carbon. But no way would I commute on it. For a commuter you want something that you can reasonably feel safe about locking it up on the street. The time will come when you have to do this and a reasonably fancy bike is not something I would lock up. A commuter should look basic so it is not too much of a target and not be too expensive so if it does get stolen you won't feel completely stuffed.

I would probably keep the old bike and do the maintennance required and buy something to race on.
Old 03-07-07, 10:44 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think that there's anything wrong with commuting on a carbon bike.
But for the price of a carbon bike you could probably have two steel or aluminum bikes.
One that is ideal for commuting and one that is ideal for racing.
Don't worry about durability. Aluminum, steel, carbon, all good. Buy a reputable brand from a bike shop. They honor their warrantys.
My suggestions.
Commuting - aluminum cyclocross in the $1000 range. Cyclocross bikes can take fat tires that can handle rough roads and provide a comfortable ride.
Racing - aluminum road bike in the $1200 range. Clip on an aero bar for triathlons.
If I could have only one of these it would be the cyclocross. It can take the skinniest tires as well as the fattest and the geometry is nearly the same as a road bike.
Old 03-07-07, 11:40 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
A new Madone 5.2 is $3500 not $8200. A couple years ago, they were selling for $3000. I got a new - last years model for $2000 about 16 months ago.

Read through some of the old post and you will find there is a huge range of bikes that people here commute on. A lot of different preferences!

I do use a modified Trek Ultimate to commute on. Same basic OCLV carbon used in Madone 5.2. The roads here are bad, so a modified mountain bike or cyclecross are preferred bikes for commuting here. The OCLV carbon will likely last longer than an Al frame and about the same as steel or Ti frames (depending on care). My backup commute is either a single speed cyclecross style bike or a Madone 5.2 depending on weather and what I need to do for the day.

If you want to use a rack and panniers for the commute, then the Madone 5.2 would require a special rack which attaches with bands to the seat stays. I used racks on steel frames, but on the carbon frames - I have used messenger bags or CamelBaks just fine.

So the key is, decide what your preferences are. Ride several bike styles and frames and choose the ones that fit your needs. THEN GET THE BIKE IN THE RIGHT SIZE. Then set the bike up for your needs.

If the Madone 5.2 fits and you really want it, consider using it as your race bike with the upper end wheels it comes with, get a lower end set of wheels for it with the commute gearing you want and keep the old 1981 chromoly bike as your bad weather day commuter / beater bike.
Old 03-08-07, 08:32 AM
walterk46
Electro-Forged

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for using your existing bike as a commuter and getting a new bike for weekends/racing. I have a 30 mile RT commute. I run fat, puncture-resistant tires on the commuter. I also have installed fenders, rack, lights, a lock bracket, and cross brake levers. I don't have to haul all that stuff around for a weekend ride. I have a second bike for the weekend fun rides with lighter tires/wheels, no fenders, rack, or lights. It feels great to switch to that bike. The downside is that I end up putting about 3X as many miles on my loaded down commuter than I do on my "fun" bike.
Old 03-08-07, 09:49 AM
Mukluk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But of course, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

With regard to my budget tops is $2000 and that's if I can find an investor (which I think I can). The used Madone 5.2 WSD is a little under $2000. Other bikes I have been thinking of.

Definite Commuter Bike (I would have to race triathlons and do weekend rides on it too)
Trek 520 (new is $1200)
Trek Portland (new is $1699)
(neither is a women's specific frame)

A new carbon bike (would race on this and use my old clunker to commute)
Trek 5000 WSD (new is $1979)

A new aluminum bike/ carbon fork (Would race on this, not sure if this would be suitable to commute on )
Trek 2100 WSD (new is $1649)

These are all treks but I certainly am willing to try something else. Thanks for the feedback so far. Any other ideas?
Old 03-08-07, 12:22 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get a fast new bike, like the Trek you're interested in, and just use a seatpost rack. 15 miles is a decently long commute, and it will be nice to have a quick and light bike.

Rather than a cyclocross bike, a second alternative would be something like a Trek Pilot (you like Treks, apparently) that has rack eyelets and fender clearance.

Speaking of fenders - are you going to ride in the rain? Cause that changes everything, in my mind.
Old 03-08-07, 12:28 PM
Mukluk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it's likely that I would be riding in the rain sometimes so I would plan on having fenders on the bike that I use for commuting.
Old 03-08-07, 01:38 PM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better to make the steel bike the commuter, then.
Old 03-08-07, 01:57 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My idea for my new race bike will be as follows:
Use the old bike as the primary commuter but on nice days ride the race bike when you have nothing to haul. Then park it in winter.
My touring bike will be used to haul clothes and other items to work and back.
Old 03-08-07, 03:49 PM
voileauciel
Wildman in the Sky

Bikes: Bianchi Bergamo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my 2¢ here:

The Bianchi Bergamo is a good deal. Comes with the SRAM DualDrive setup, rack and fenders right out of the box. I've got almost 2300 miles on mine now and I use it to commute almost every day.

Mos important, however, as has been posted on here countless times, is to find something that fits and is within your budget. I believe that the Bergamo goes for about $699 or so. If you want a step up from that, with traditional gearing, the Volpe is also worth a look. I just picked mine up last week and the saying "steel is real" certainly applies!

Cheers!
C
Old 03-08-07, 11:07 PM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
My idea for my new race bike will be as follows:
Use the old bike as the primary commuter but on nice days ride the race bike when you have nothing to haul. Then park it in winter.
My touring bike will be used to haul clothes and other items to work and back.
+1

Why not go for the mid-level Trek now to race with, then if you still have a passion for it a couple years from now go for the carbon race machine.
Old 03-09-07, 06:26 AM
Mukluk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well actually I'm not worried about having the passion- so I think I can jump right in and get a speedy bike to start with. Although triathlons are relatively new to me, I am a life long rider with an appreciation of speed. Thanks for the alternate bike suggestions as well. I really do appreciate everyones input. I'm going to go look at the trek tomorrow but will also check out some other bikes as well.
Old 03-09-07, 10:17 AM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get a fast bike, you can always pop on a seatpost rack or wear a backpack for a quick commute, if the weather's good.
Old 03-09-07, 10:23 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute on my 80s univega daily. no problems at all. I would keep your old bike for commuting and get a newer one for the racing/triathalons. I had to clamp my rack onto the older frame as it had no way to attach, but it works fine.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 03-09-07, 11:01 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mukluk
I have been told by various bike shops that it isn't too worth it to attempt to upgrade my 1981- the shifting is a little sluggish but I'm used to it (folks at bike shops say, well you'd be better off putting the money into a new bike).
This is bullcrap, and you've been told it because, guess what? They want to sell you a new bike. You can pick up good used parts for cheap on eBay, and upgrade easily.
Old 03-10-07, 06:14 AM
dtipton

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've heard good things about surly crosscheck and commuting.