Old 11-27-08, 06:52 PM
nickeleye

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody from Ventura?

The title explains it. I'm looking for a riding partner in Ventura. Due to the time change I'm mostly just looking for riding on the weekend for now since I can use the trainer a few times during the week. I've got a friend who I ride with now and then, but it's usually at a slower pace than I typically ride at and he also seems to be hit & miss on availability. As far as my skills go I'm not sure exactly what category I fit into. I'd say that I'm in shape and would at least fall into an intermediate category. To give some sort of idea I usually make a round trip from Ventura to Santa Paula and back (20 miles) in just over an hour usually and my speed range is typically 17-18 mph averaged out.

I have never looked for a riding partner before so this is all new to me.
Old 11-27-08, 07:39 PM
profkrispy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is an organized group ride that meets at 7:30 am on Saturdays and Sundays in front of the Juicy Juice and coffee bar across the street from the Ventura Theater on Chestnut street. You might consider giving that a go. You'll get to know the more popular ride routes around Ventura not to mention meeting a bunch a people. Just a thought.
Old 11-28-08, 09:40 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
www.cibike.org Lots of rides.
Old 11-29-08, 03:34 PM
nickeleye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd checked out the site before, but I'm curious about the overall demographics of the riders in the club. I'm hoping to find other riders that are in my general age bracket as well as experience level. I was considering joining the club, but I guess I just was looking for a little more info before spending money on a membership.
Old 11-29-08, 10:24 PM
awiner
1 Serving Per Container

Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also check out CVC. Caenjo Valley Cyclists. https://www.cvcbike.org/

Age group runs from 10 to dirt old. We have a pretty diverse group with a fit for everyone.
Old 11-30-08, 01:37 AM
nickeleye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@awiner - Thanks for the link. Checked out the site. Looks interesting.

In general, with these group rides, is it best to start with groups that you KNOW you can hang with or start with something you THINK you can hang with? For example, on the cvcbike site it mensions intermediate at 14+ mph avg. and advanced at 16+. I'd say in most cases I can definitely handle 16+ (unless it's all hills), but I'm guessing maybe I should start with intermediate and see what happens. If you start to fall behind, how likely is it that you'll get left in the dust and you'll just have to figure out the route on your own for the remainder of the ride?

Sorry for such noob questions, but I've never really ridden with anybody except the one friend of mine on just a couple of routes that I do regularly on my own.
Old 11-30-08, 10:03 AM
awiner
1 Serving Per Container

Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickeleye
@awiner - Thanks for the link. Checked out the site. Looks interesting.

In general, with these group rides, is it best to start with groups that you KNOW you can hang with or start with something you THINK you can hang with? For example, on the cvcbike site it mensions intermediate at 14+ mph avg. and advanced at 16+. I'd say in most cases I can definitely handle 16+ (unless it's all hills), but I'm guessing maybe I should start with intermediate and see what happens. If you start to fall behind, how likely is it that you'll get left in the dust and you'll just have to figure out the route on your own for the remainder of the ride?
As for CVC, if you start off with the GOLD group, you won't get dropped. They regroup often. Orange generally starts with gold as well so if you are feeling strong you can break off with orange at will as well.

You can also try out one of our all level Sunday Social rides which is a no drop ride. Someone always sweeps the rear to make sure we stick together.