Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bony Butt & Ride a Racing Bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bony Butt & Ride a Racing Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 05:28 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Several things:

The fore and aft position of the saddle are important. That is also connected with the measurement of the pedal stroke. They're both related.

If you shove the saddle back or forwards it will affect your position and also will affect that "comfort". You need to try that. Or go to a professional fitter. But you might as well try that yourself.

Another thing, the shorts or the bibs. Both shorts and bibs have padding. Most padding comes from designers in Italy. I think there are very few pad makers out there, maybe except from the Far East. This means companies like Aerotech buy their pads from the Italian makers. The kind that you want is the padding that has a density amount "denser" than other areas of the pad, namely the sit bones. The more expensive shorts will have that kind of multi-density pad.

The other thing is "bibs". When you ride for longer periods of time, the shorts will tend to "ride" and the pads don't really "stay in place". Next time you ride and when it gets a bit uncomfortable, maybe at the 30 mile mark, and not wait till the 40 mile mark, get off the bike and "reposition" the shorts so that the padding moves more towards the back where the sit bones are. This is a two hand thing. One hand at the front and the other hand at the back. You actually "pull back" the entire padding.

Bibs, on the other hand (no pun intended), keep the padding "in place" better. That means the padding does not "ride" forwards or backwards.

Another thing - sometimes shorts don't fit right to begin with. They really need to be tight fitting. Bibs too, but maybe not to that great extent.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 04-19-22, 10:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
I did have two bike fits - the last one was far more professional than the first where the PT was basically going by text book. I have bibs as well as bike shorts. Being tall the bibs tend to REALLY stay in place. Have a collection of about a dozen bike shorts from hyper expensive (Swiss) to cheap and have found some mid-priced ones better than the expensive. Have been riding a Terry mens seat for the last week and no discomfort so far on shorter rides (20-25) but will see on the long hauls. Only issue with the Terry is that it weighs a ton, butt if that is the trade-off, I’ll take it.

Old 04-20-22, 07:42 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by rsbob
I did have two bike fits - the last one was far more professional than the first where the PT was basically going by text book. I have bibs as well as bike shorts. Being tall the bibs tend to REALLY stay in place. Have a collection of about a dozen bike shorts from hyper expensive (Swiss) to cheap and have found some mid-priced ones better than the expensive. Have been riding a Terry mens seat for the last week and no discomfort so far on shorter rides (20-25) but will see on the long hauls. Only issue with the Terry is that it weighs a ton, butt if that is the trade-off, I’ll take it.
Get someone to ride behind you. Take a close look at your pedal stroke...the length.

Some riders go for a long pedal stroke where, during the downstroke, the knees are not bent (enough). As you age, that pedal stroke needs to "shorten up".

As the pedal stroke "shortens up" the rocking motion of your hips will lessen and that will translate to less movement on that saddle.

While you're at it, that rider behind you, see if he can detect your foot and pedal relationship. Some riders have a "bad habit". One or both feet tend to be "Pidgeon toed" They turn inwards instead of straight. That motion translates into the hip as well. It's common for the Pidgeon toe riders to ride as if they're on their "tippy-toes"...also not a good habit.

Bad habits are hard to break and invites injuries, sooner or later.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 04-20-22, 12:37 PM
Garfield Cat

rsbob

Of all the things, the first thing I would look at is the "fore/aft" position of the saddle. Just by some movement front or backwards may make a difference. I mean sit bone pains. This assumes the saddle has a "wide-enough" area where the bones meet the saddle. Even though there are ways to measure the distance between left and right sit bones, it doesn't somehow "match-up" with that width on what the saddle makers put out there.

Besides, that's the least expensive trial. I know, you might have spent lots of $$$ on a bike fit. Me too and the best fitters are the most experienced fitters.
Old 04-20-22, 02:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
rsbob

Of all the things, the first thing I would look at is the "fore/aft" position of the saddle. Just by some movement front or backwards may make a difference. I mean sit bone pains. This assumes the saddle has a "wide-enough" area where the bones meet the saddle. Even though there are ways to measure the distance between left and right sit bones, it doesn't somehow "match-up" with that width on what the saddle makers put out there.

Besides, that's the least expensive trial. I know, you might have spent lots of $$$ on a bike fit. Me too and the best fitters are the most experienced fitters.
Really appreciate your advice. I will try some adjustments on my trainer bike and when I find what works, will use those measurements on my road bike. Thanks

Old 04-20-22, 03:19 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
Go to a bike shop that knows how to fit a persons butt for the saddle they need.
It is possible you are on a saddle that is too narrow and your sit bones are not being supported evenly.
Old 04-22-22, 06:05 AM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Go to a bike shop that knows how to fit a persons butt for the saddle they need.
It is possible you are on a saddle that is too narrow and your sit bones are not being supported evenly.
This made all of the difference for me. I was going through saddles quickly - luckily selling as I went so I wasn't taking a huge loss. But once measured and fit at a bike shop - I was steered towards a couple saddles I would have never considered for myself. It was a neat process - I sat some memory foam/gel pads at different angles and they would measure the imprints of sit bones. I ended up with a fizik alliante and it was great. I now ride all brooks - but they fit me perfectly (I don't consider them a fits all saddle as many do - but they at least fit me).
Likes For kstephens:
Old 04-22-22, 01:05 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
When i was super fit, I almost levitated above the seat.
No almost, you did. One of my main markers for being in riding shape - never super fit any more and my butt got bony too - is I am above my saddles. From there it can’t hurt.

It is all about pedal action. Try to find the pedal action you once had. Undoubtedly you are going slower. So use lower gears. Dance on the pedals. Someone above said lower the saddle. Yes. From a high saddle with a big gear you can’t avoid leaning against the saddle and pushing back on it.

You sound like you are basically fit. Just keep at it. Early season it is not at all surprising to have a little saddle discomfort. It is only April. Expect it to get better from here.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 04-22-22, 01:46 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Sounds like you need a bike fit. A good bike fit will fix this issue. Finding the saddle that will your sit bones is the answer to your problem.
Old 04-22-22, 07:40 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Do something to build up your butt muscles. I find that if I am out of shape and have lost my butt then riding is not comfortable for me except on some bigger gel seats. Once I started doing a lot of hard uphill work, spinning up steep hills and grunting up steep hills in higher gears while pedaling standing up, I got some muscle down there, and a lot of places period, and then seat choice quit being an issue. I am 60 years old and have always been tall and never got to being obese, I just lose muscle when I don't workout, and gain it back when I do workout. I have also been trying to do some squats and toe-raises, and some running on grass, things I did a lot of when I was younger but now have to fit a lot of those activities in between aches and pains. Good luck....
Old 04-23-22, 08:33 AM
Mr Sir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just use a padded seat I hate bibs meself
Old 07-09-22, 11:23 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Finally found a really good solution. Bought a pair of Endura FS260-Pro shorts with gel inserts. Took them out yesterday for a 50 miler and it was the first time after trying multiple shorts that I wasn’t hurting and had bruised sit bones (actually the skin where my sit bones hit the saddle) after the fact. I believe it had to be the gel inserts that did the trick. I tried all the recommendations but these worked. The only real issue is price. The bargain priced shorts may work for the majority but my truly bony butt liked these.

Old 07-09-22, 12:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
I once saw a Touring Cyclist over at the state park camping. There was Wheel Chair Gel Pad siting on top of his seat. I asked him about it and he said after about 50 miles he puts it on top of his seat and it helps him make it to the end of the day.

He was about 60 years old and was going from Tucson Az to Florida and averaged 50 to 70 miles a day camping each night. I am always impressed by people who can do this at any age and if he wants a goofy looking pad to do so be it...
Old 07-09-22, 12:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Go to the Touring/Randonneuring threads and see what they use.