Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The official Rodriguez & Erickson velophilia thread.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 01:49 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts

With so many "show me your xxx" threads, I figured it appropriate to do a search on the forum here for Rodriguez & Erickson custom bicycles to see what others have ordered or customized. Lo! There isn't such a thread to be had. So come on people show what you have, & if possible, please share what special details or requirements the guys at Rodriguez were able to make happen to make your custom build a reality.

My bike was at the top of the queue last week. We finalized a few details & it's being welded up as I post this. If anyone is interested, I can share what makes my bike special, but mostly I want to know what makes your Rodriguez or Erickson special.

Show your pics!
Old 04-11-19, 03:40 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 83 Posts

Old 04-11-19, 06:22 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
You are a super fan
Old 04-11-19, 08:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
2018 Rodriguez "Shiftless" set up fixed-gear for road riding. I ordered the frame and built it up myself.
- True Temper S3 tubing with internal brake cable routing
- Enve fork, seatpost and SES Aero bar.
- Extralite stem
- Fabric saddle
- Dura Ace drivetrain and brakes
- H+ Son wheels with 25 mm Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed tires and Continental Race Light tubes.
- XPEDO M-Force 8 Ti pedals.

My advice is to get everything in writing. The only thing I didn't get written on the order was that a Dura Ace crank must clear the chainstay. I said it verbally - "The chainstay has to have clearance for a Dura Ace 7100 track crank." - at least a dozen times and even offered to ship them the crankset for fitting. Even so, the crank hit the chainstay and I had to grind the back of the crank spider with a dremel. Sram Omnium and Campy Record Pista cranks also hit.

Don't let them smooth talk you. Anything you want must be in writing on order or don't put down the deposit. That's my advice.

Also keep in mind that when the bike is finally built they will ship it and hit your credit card for the balance without telling you. The bike will arrive by surprise and your card will be debited. No phone call or email saying that the bike is done or letting you know that UPS will require a signature. That left a bad taste in my mouth but the crank hitting the spider was enough that I won't order from them again. For that much money I expect better.

Nothing else bad can be said about the bike though. The welds are amazing and it is a joy to ride. 15.9 lb including pedals, cages and GPS mount. I rode it 110 miles @ 17.7 MPH two weeks ago. I could ride it all day if my legs agreed.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-11-19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 01:42 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
2018 Rodriguez "Shiftless" set up fixed-gear for road riding. I ordered the frame and built it up myself.
- Extralite stem
- Fabric saddle
- H+ Son wheels with 25 mm Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed tires and Continental Race Light tubes.

My advice is to get everything in writing. The only thing I didn't get written on the order was that a Dura Ace crank must clear the chainstay. I said it verbally - "The chainstay has to have clearance for a Dura Ace 7100 track crank." - at least a dozen times and even offered to ship them the crankset for fitting. Even so, the crank hit the chainstay and I had to grind the back of the crank spider with a dremel. Sram Omnium and Campy Record Pista cranks also hit.

Don't let them smooth talk you. Anything you want must be in writing on order or don't put down the deposit. That's my advice.

Also keep in mind that when the bike is finally built they will ship it and hit your credit card for the balance without telling you. The bike will arrive by surprise and your card will be debited. No phone call or email saying that the bike is done or letting you know that UPS will require a signature. That left a bad taste in my mouth but the crank hitting the spider was enough that I won't order from them again. For that much money I expect better.

Nothing else bad can be said about the bike though. The welds are amazing and it is a joy to ride. 15.9 lb including pedals, cages and GPS mount. I rode it 110 miles @ 17.7 MPH two weeks ago. I could ride it all day if my legs agreed.

-Tim-
Looks nicely made. I thought about choosing them, but didn’t love the process and they didn’t have many examples of what I wanted - 2 maybe. I found it a little strange they needed my size/measurements to give me a very rough estimate. I had a detailed list of parts available. So I chose differently.
Old 04-12-19, 07:12 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by TimothyH
- Extralite stem
- Fabric saddle

-Tim-
Reading between the lines...You ordered a frame via email/web/telephone & they did not have the crankset you intended to use but assured you that the one you wanted to build up the bike with would fit?

That does seem an honest mistake on their part. One of many potential pitfalls of custom anything ordered over the phone. Any chance a wider bottom bracket would've helped?

As far as the credit card/shipping thing, yeah, a phone call or an email with a tracking number is standard e-commerce practice. I wonder if it slipped through the cracks or something. <Thinking out-loud>I wonder if they assume you ordered it because presumably you wanted it, and they are avoiding the chance you might chicken out come shipping day after they built it, leaving them with a custom machine & no customer...</Thinking out-loud...>

When I ordered mine, I wrote things on the build sheet & handed it back to them. Every iteration became more accurate. Red this, silver that, etc...& I brought them various parts I intended to use. We will see & your experience is duley noted.

In any case, you are pleased with the bike itself & that is the important part. It does indeed look beautiful.

Last edited by base2; 04-12-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 05:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

I was cleaning out my car this afternoon & found this. I'm posting it as a teaser on what my bike will eventually look like. Two-tone sea-foam green with red accents.

Yes, I realize the crankset is on the left side. I assure you it will be on the proper side when it's built.

Rodriguez by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-14-19, 06:07 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
R+E has some nice stuff and I find myself looking at their "6-Pack" travel bike but it's very expensive for a folding bicycle at $5k. It also has an 11-21 week lead time, which I suppose is not unreasonable for a busy custom shop. R+E is fortunate to make some nice bikes, have a pretty good reputation and be located in a part of the country where there are a lot of people with a bunch of money to spend on nice things like custom bicycles. I'll bet they a pretty full order book.

Last edited by honcho; 04-14-19 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 07:02 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Originally Posted by jade408
You are a super fan
We have a fifth Rodriguez, another Dutch frame with electric assist to help my lovely wife in hilly Seattle. I have no pics of that one though.

Obviously, i have been very pleased with the quality of the bikes and the help I get from the staff. R&E is where I go when I have mechanical problems I can’t figure out, too. Just a great shop.
Old 04-14-19, 07:50 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by Aubergine

That bike is very sharp, well coordinated, and very well artistically balanced. Two tone paint between the ht/st/fork blades & main tubes. Very classic.

Are those Vittoria Pro-slicks? Great tires. I had a pair that were yellow. They were fast & lasted a long time.

The black/silver block lettering on the downtube match the rims quite well.

...And lugs too? That is unusual in this day & age.

Stylistically I give it an A+.

Last edited by base2; 04-14-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 08:12 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Originally Posted by base2
Are those Vittoria Pro-slicks?
Thank you! The tires are Vittoria Tubulars, the 28 mm wide Paris-Roubaix model. The bike is by far the best ride I own.
Old 04-14-19, 09:56 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
All these bike are sweet and I’ve seen the website with what Rodriquez offers.The Tandem 2 or 1 was just amazing.
Old 04-27-19, 09:22 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Rodriguez braze on head badge by Richard Mozzarella, on FlickrRodriguez seat tube by Richard Mozzarella, on FlickrRodriguez Downtube by Richard Mozzarella, on FlickrRodriguez Frame by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Old 04-28-19, 04:38 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Wish I could afford a Rodriguez Outlaw RL, but I live in California, and the taxes I pay keeps me from having something that highend.

So all you Rodriguez owners, I can safely assume that with such a light weight steel frame there has been no issues with it? I thought they may be stretching the limit of steel with frames that light but I can't find one report on the internet of a frame failing. Also is the frame flexy? or flexier then other bikes you have?
Old 04-28-19, 05:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Mine is True Temper S3. The tubes are shaped to add strength. For example, the top tube is teardrop shaped and the downtube is ovalized where it meets the bottom bracket shell and head tube.

It is not flexy or bouncy at all. I'm not saying that it is uncomfortably stiff but I also own a Bianchi Pista which bounces like a spring compared to the Rodriguez. The Rodriguez S3 frame is a stiff, sporty ride.

I'm not worried about the frame failing. They make mountain bikes out of S3 tubes. S3 is amazing stuff.
Old 04-28-19, 09:34 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by greatscott
Wish I could afford a Rodriguez Outlaw RL, but I live in California, and the taxes I pay keeps me from having something that highend.

So all you Rodriguez owners, I can safely assume that with such a light weight steel frame there has been no issues with it? I thought they may be stretching the limit of steel with frames that light but I can't find one report on the internet of a frame failing. Also is the frame flexy? or flexier then other bikes you have?
To dovetail with what Tim said, ThermLX tubing is aviation certified double (triple?) butted steel tubing. It's like 12,000ksi rated, or something. So nearly twice as strong as Reynolds 725. ThermLX tubing saves about a half to 2/3 of a pound or so depending ...So even with the weight savings, you still get a much stronger frame.

As an added bonus the tubing is manufactured in Ohio...That matters. To me at least.

I got the ThermLX tubing to make up for the added weight of the S&S couplings, 500mm (20 inch) chainstays & the Rohloff hub. The frame is still lighter than carbon. About 3 pounds.

As far as flex, I don't have my completed bike yet, but the one I borrowed to confirm the test fit was very solid & sure footed. All I wanted to do was hammer the thing. It didn't seem flexy or springy at all. Nevertheless because of the extended stays and the anticipated loading with camping/touring gear, I opted for an oversized down tube. It's always better to have more capability than you need, right?

They have a 13 pound Outlaw in the shop for display. Seriously, it's unreal.

Last edited by base2; 04-30-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 09:32 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Didn't True Temper go out of business? I thought they had, so what happens with Rodriguez bikes when they run out of tubing?

I agree with the oversized down tube being perhaps more capability then you need but wise to have it just in case.
Old 04-29-19, 10:37 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Originally Posted by greatscott
Didn't True Temper go out of business? I thought they had, so what happens with Rodriguez bikes when they run out of tubing?
There are other tubing suppliers, you know. :-) My latest bike (the blue one) was made from Reynolds 725. And I know they found another supplier pretty quickly for their light bikes. Can’t recall the name but it should be on the web site.
Old 04-30-19, 03:54 AM
greatscott

Originally Posted by Aubergine
There are other tubing suppliers, you know. :-) My latest bike (the blue one) was made from Reynolds 725. And I know they found another supplier pretty quickly for their light bikes. Can’t recall the name but it should be on the web site.
I thought that True Temper made the lightest weight steel of all the other tube manufactures?
Old 04-30-19, 07:45 AM
base2 
I am potato.

ThermLX is made by Vari-Wall. In Ohio.

Our Vari-Wall THERMLX material has a unique chemistry that is a meticulous blend of alloying elements including molybdenum, vanadium, and chromium. Our material is designed to air harden as it cools from high temperature TIG welding. The alloy blend produces a fine grain microstructure with superior strength and toughness. Vari-Wall THERMLX is the ONLY steel in the industry manufactured to AMS Aerospace Standards. This means our raw material is inspected and certified to aircraft standards at every step, insuring the cleanest defect free steel on the planet. Maximum tensile strength up to 1200 MPa.
Old 04-30-19, 08:49 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by base2
ThermLX is made by Vari-Wall. In Ohio.
That's great info, I didn't know there was another player in the bike steel tubing business.
Old 01-06-20, 07:19 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
Reviving an old thread because this bike on the Pro's Closet is interesting: https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ad-bike-56-5cm

Does anyone have an idea of when the frame would have been built and/or what "model" it would have begun life as? Seems like that unusual seatpost clamp and the fork might provide clues to those in the know. With a change of chainring/cassette, this could be an incredible do-it-all bike regardless.

Last edited by dbhouston; 01-06-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 11:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Weiner Bike SL is finally complete.

16 pounds, steel frame, hydraulic disc, tubeless...With pedals & powermeter!

9 months in the back order queue. I could save 60 grams with KCNC oval chainrings.

When the Darimo Sub4 says it will tolerate up to 5nm of torque, it means it. Yesterday was the very first shakedown ride & the seat post had slipped down likely due to a light application of friction paste & 3nm of clamp torque. So I stopped at a bike shop, checked the clamp specs, (online) & borrowed a 5nm torque key. "SNAP!" 15 miles of riding with no saddle.

Maybe I can eat 10-15 grams for a stronger clamp.

The frame is 1946 grams & they tell me it is ThermLX I'm still not sure how I feel about that. The Ritchey Outback is a few thousand dollars cheaper & claims to weigh less and the rim braked S3 frame up thread weighs a whole pound less.

I have succeeded in beating the bike shop though. Their Bandito weighs 15.9 pounds with the additional $600 lightest frame treatment option in a smaller size & without pedals, power-meter, bottle cages or 120ml (4oz) of sealant.

Last edited by base2; 08-15-22 at 09:32 AM.