Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Anything allows to ride through Google Streetview?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Anything allows to ride through Google Streetview?

Old 05-20-22, 03:48 PM
IndianaBlues

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happytrochoid
I made an account just for the purpose of replying =) This is exactly what I am searching for at the moment - an app where I can create a custom street view route to follow along on my spin bike. I've trialed Fulgaz and Rouvy so far and I'm happy with both of them, but it would be so awesome if I could virtually travel through old neighborhoods and where I used to live throughout the years. I will bookmark your page and see how it works for me. Cheers!!
I too have just registered to reply. I bought a ProForm Tour de France training bike back in 2016, the main draw being the streetview integration and the automatic incline tilting of the bike, so it's eminently possible. Unfortunately the bike's on board tech and the iFit subscription service it uses have slowly been deprecated over the years. The built-in screen was actually an Android 2.0 tablet, which Google stopped supporting for Streetview a couple of years later. Ifit produced a workaround that allowed users to stream their rides over the Internet directly to their personal tablet or smartphone screen via their website, but as of this year that too has been disabled, leaving me with a bike that I can still plot a ride anywhere in the world on, but which can't show me that ride as I'm doing it. I'm tempted to get the most recent version of the Tour de France that tilts, but that's already a couple of years old and once bitten, twice shy.
What I really signed up to say was that if you do find a bike with ifit integration and that still can support streetview natively, quite often Amazon have ifit 2 year subscriptions significantly reduced. I'm in the UK, but in the past I've bought 2x 2 year memberships for just over £30, which works out at about 65p a month, compared to £11-15 a month directly from ifit.
Old 05-22-22, 01:32 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Here is a video of the screen on my NordicTrak S22i doing a ride defined by Google Streetview. This is kind of a peloton type indoor bike more oriented towards outdoor rides (most typically high quality/predefined rides) and they do have a custom ride (via Google Streetview) option. I just used my phone to take a video of the screen while I pedaled for about a minute. The device had me going somewhere in the low 20's mph. I have Garmin Vector pedals on this bike and that level of effort would probably been in the 19-20 mph range on those roads on my Trek Emonda. The noises that you hear are either my breathing or my fan.

The Google Streetview rides are not nearly as good as the high quality video rides, but not bad (or horrible - you can decide).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pctuqiayr...rFarm.mp4?dl=0

dave
Old 05-24-22, 10:08 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
i don't know how you can ride with that video. when i first read this thread a couple of years ago i envisioned a very choppy video. your dropbox link proved that. try rouvy or fulgaz if you want video.
Old 05-24-22, 12:00 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i don't know how you can ride with that video. when i first read this thread a couple of years ago i envisioned a very choppy video. your dropbox link proved that. try rouvy or fulgaz if you want video.
I guess it depends on your expectations. I am quite happy with how this works but I am not expecting this to be an 'immersive experience'. I am mostly curious as to 'just what is out there' and I like being able to define a ride about anywhere and have it show on a decent sized screen that is conveniently mounted. Of course the 'normal rides' on the IFIT platform are far superior in that regard - just a ton less flexibility. It serves my purposes and may not serve others. Rouvy/etc presents a different issue as (in my case) I am stuck on my 11 inch tablet screen.

dave
Old 01-29-24, 03:01 PM
Alan_Peery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tobias74
You might want to check out "drumuri.bike" (I am not allowed to post URLs)
On drumuri.bike you can connect your smart trainer and ride virtually using streetview.
Very nice. My test ride worked well, looking forward to using this to complete a 600 km virtual ride i started in TacX's older TTS v4 software. ;-)