Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much more comfortable is an Endurance Bike vs. Hybrid?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 01:47 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon & 2020 Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 28 Posts

I currently have a Specialized Sirrus 6.0, so more of a flat bar road bike than a Hybrid, but still classified as a Hybrid. I have been looking at getting a Canyon Endurance CF 8.0 and was just wondering how much more comfortable it would be on long rides. I currently ride between 400 and 500 miles a month with a handful of days with 50-55 mile rides but that is my max so far. I do get some numbness in my hands on occasion but still feel decent after a 50 mile day, although I am rather slow, usually average ~14mph but want to build up to complete some centuries. Does anyone have any personal experience making the switch to an Endurance type bike with drop bars from a flat bar road bike and can comment on comfort levels compared to the two?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-22, 01:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I have a Sirrus 4.0 and a Domane SL5, and have had both for a little over two years now. Both are 2020 models, and both have been modified with some better components than stock. I much prefer the Domane for anything over about 15-20 miles, but I find them both comfortable. The big difference to me is that the Domane covers ground faster since it puts you in a position with less wind resistance.
Old 08-02-22, 03:47 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
My experience from back when I made the transition from a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid to a proper road bike was that the availability of more hand and riding positions was the biggest improvement to comfort. I would say not to expect a radical difference in the way the bike feels from a comfort perspective, but you'll be able to move from the hoods to the drops to the tops which will change the pressure you feel both in the saddle and in your hands. I found that with the hybrid, when I started to push 40-50 miles, I would start getting numbness in my hands. With the road bike, those small changes in position throughout the ride meant I never experienced the same as I progressed past 50 all the way to beyond 100 miles without any hand numbness. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but that was my experience.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 08-02-22, 04:23 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Agreed! Drop bars offer more possible hand positions — which also changes your body position — allowing opportunities to reduce hand fatigue and pain. It also offers easier ability to ride more areo to more upright for speed, efficiency and comfort considerations.

Happy cycling!
Old 08-02-22, 04:49 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
But I would caution that overall cycling enjoyment comes down to a lot of intangibles like personal fitting preferences, experience, skill, health, fitness and personal expectations. Many, many bike packers and touring cyclists ride incredible distances day after day on flat bar bikes. So, a new drop bar endurance bike in and of itself may or may not make more riding more comfortable for you.

I only bring this up because your OP seems hesitant. If you have the opportunity, do many test rides on bikes you like before you buy. That way you’ll be sure.

Happy cycling!
Likes For Sapperc:
Old 08-02-22, 05:08 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceA78
Does anyone have any personal experience making the switch to an Endurance type bike with drop bars from a flat bar road bike and can comment on comfort levels compared to the two?Thanks!
When I first got into "road cycling" I switched from a Specialized Sirrus flat-bar hybrid to a Ribble 7046 drop-bar road bike.

Both were alloy frames, both rolling on Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels and GP4000 tyres. The Ribble was 0% more comfortable BUT with the lower position (and more choice of hand positions) I was able to cycle faster and further. That was my goal and a road bike was a tool to achieve that. For you, a road bike may be more nimble and lighter and give you more position options, but it may not improve your overall ride experience.

Your switch will likely not be any more comfortable, but that's very personal. Will it be a "better" ride? I think so, but that's purely personal too.

Are you able to test ride one? Or test ride a drop-bar road bike of any sort?
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 08-02-22, 05:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
My experience from back when I made the transition from a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid to a proper road bike was that the availability of more hand and riding positions was the biggest improvement to comfort. I would say not to expect a radical difference in the way the bike feels from a comfort perspective, but you'll be able to move from the hoods to the drops to the tops which will change the pressure you feel both in the saddle and in your hands.
This nails it.
Old 08-02-22, 06:21 PM
BruceA78

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have a Sirrus 4.0 and a Domane SL5, and have had both for a little over two years now. Both are 2020 models, and both have been modified with some better components than stock. I much prefer the Domane for anything over about 15-20 miles, but I find them both comfortable. The big difference to me is that the Domane covers ground faster since it puts you in a position with less wind resistance.
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
My experience from back when I made the transition from a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid to a proper road bike was that the availability of more hand and riding positions was the biggest improvement to comfort. I would say not to expect a radical difference in the way the bike feels from a comfort perspective, but you'll be able to move from the hoods to the drops to the tops which will change the pressure you feel both in the saddle and in your hands. I found that with the hybrid, when I started to push 40-50 miles, I would start getting numbness in my hands. With the road bike, those small changes in position throughout the ride meant I never experienced the same as I progressed past 50 all the way to beyond 100 miles without any hand numbness. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but that was my experience.
Originally Posted by Sapperc
But I would caution that overall cycling enjoyment comes down to a lot of intangibles like personal fitting preferences, experience, skill, health, fitness and personal expectations. Many, many bike packers and touring cyclists ride incredible distances day after day on flat bar bikes. So, a new drop bar endurance bike in and of itself may or may not make more riding more comfortable for you.

I only bring this up because your OP seems hesitant. If you have the opportunity, do many test rides on bikes you like before you buy. That way you’ll be sure.

Happy cycling!
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
When I first got into "road cycling" I switched from a Specialized Sirrus flat-bar hybrid to a Ribble 7046 drop-bar road bike.

Both were alloy frames, both rolling on Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels and GP4000 tyres. The Ribble was 0% more comfortable BUT with the lower position (and more choice of hand positions) I was able to cycle faster and further. That was my goal and a road bike was a tool to achieve that. For you, a road bike may be more nimble and lighter and give you more position options, but it may not improve your overall ride experience.

Your switch will likely not be any more comfortable, but that's very personal. Will it be a "better" ride? I think so, but that's purely personal too.

Are you able to test ride one? Or test ride a drop-bar road bike of any sort?
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated! I wouldn't normally have been looking but saw a really good deal on a used 2021 Canyon Endurance bike locally that piqued my interest! If I can get it for a really good deal may be worth it but based on most responses here I may wait until another hard to pass on deal comes my way. Thanks everyone!
Likes For BruceA78:
Old 08-03-22, 07:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
BruceA78 if you want to get a sense of how hand/body position changes may affect comfort over distance/time, it may make sense for you to try some SQ Lab Innerbarends:

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/i...rends-411.html

I ride both flat- and dropbar roadies all the time, and while I wouldn’t ascribe comfort per se to bar shape, I do often want the aerodynamic relief of bringing my arms in close to my body. Narrower flat bars are one way to do that, but come with compromises in some areas. The SQ Lab inner bar ends have the added value of not only reorienting your handholds for better, deeper elbow bending, they can be placed narrower than you could ever get a flatbar (with gears n’ brakes), so you get not only a new position, but also a more aerodynamic one.

On my distance flatbar bike, I use the Innerbarends, and really like them:

Classic, end-of-bar ends are an option, too, and while I find them comfy, the do sacrifice on the aerodynamic efficiency aspect.

There are hordes of clip-on aero extensions available as well as shaped handlebars which you could retrofit to your existing bike to experiment with and see how hand/body position changes affect your riding.
Old 08-03-22, 08:15 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
If youre having hand numbness problems maybe try and be conscious about not gripping the bars tightly. Nobody told me to be "loose" on the bike for a long time but its actually good advice.
Old 08-03-22, 08:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
If youre having hand numbness problems maybe try and be conscious about not gripping the bars tightly. Nobody told me to be "loose" on the bike for a long time but its actually good advice.
Did you disown your road rage thread after it was banished to A&S?
Old 08-04-22, 08:07 PM
BruceA78

Originally Posted by chaadster
BruceA78 if you want to get a sense of how hand/body position changes may affect comfort over distance/time, it may make sense for you to try some SQ Lab Innerbarends:

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/i...rends-411.html

I ride both flat- and dropbar roadies all the time, and while I wouldn’t ascribe comfort per se to bar shape, I do often want the aerodynamic relief of bringing my arms in close to my body. Narrower flat bars are one way to do that, but come with compromises in some areas. The SQ Lab inner bar ends have the added value of not only reorienting your handholds for better, deeper elbow bending, they can be placed narrower than you could ever get a flatbar (with gears n’ brakes), so you get not only a new position, but also a more aerodynamic one.

On my distance flatbar bike, I use the Innerbarends, and really like them:

Classic, end-of-bar ends are an option, too, and while I find them comfy, the do sacrifice on the aerodynamic efficiency aspect.

There are hordes of clip-on aero extensions available as well as shaped handlebars which you could retrofit to your existing bike to experiment with and see how hand/body position changes affect your riding.
Nice, I will have to look into those, I do have standard bar ends that came with my Sirrus 6.0 and I use those quite frequently but that puts my arms pretty far apart outside of my body so it makes me act more like a sail! Which is good if the wind is heavy from behind but otherwise makes me a bit slower!
Old 08-04-22, 08:09 PM
BruceA78

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I learned that lesson from years and years of riding motorcycles, I normally just reset my hands on the grips and/or bar ends and don't actually grip, just rest my hands on there but my core is pretty weak so my hands/wrists/arms end up holding up a good amount of my weight when I'm leaning forward.