Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keep getting dropped

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Keep getting dropped

Old 08-05-22, 11:23 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Keep getting dropped

Hey guys, yesterday I got dropped 4 times in two separate group rides. One of them dropped me 3 times, they kept dropping me then pulling off of the main road to do a hill or something and then come pass me again. Getting dropped on these rides is normal and not something to be ashamed about, but its kind of disheartening to get wrecked like that. The most egregious was when they passed me on a false flat and I wasn't even able to grab onto the tail of the group, should have saved more to put out an effort when the last guys passed I guess. Some French cat 2 dude also got dropped there and he said lots of people got dropped on that ride and I shouldn't feel bad. Maybe I shouldn't even bother with the groups that I know are faster than I can handle, but its so convenient, they are on my way to and from work. Have any of you experienced getting chronically dropped from faster groups?

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 08-05-22 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-05-22, 11:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Have any of you experienced getting chronically dropped from faster groups?
how bizarre. I can't imagine how that could happen.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-05-22, 11:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Weren't you just talking smack in another thread about how great and strong you are as a cyclist?
Old 08-05-22, 11:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Hey guys, yesterday I got dropped 4 times in two separate group rides. One of them dropped me 3 times, they kept dropping me then pulling off of the main road to do a hill or something and then come pass me again. Getting dropped on these rides is normal and not something to be ashamed about, but its kind of disheartening to get wrecked like that. The most egregious was when they passed me on a false flat and I wasn't even able to grab onto the tail of the group, should have saved more to put out an effort when the last guys passed I guess. Some French cat 2 dude also got dropped there and he said lots of people got dropped on that ride and I shouldn't feel bad. Maybe I shouldn't even bother with the groups that I know are faster than I can handle, but its so convenient, they are on my way to and from work. Have any of you experienced getting chronically dropped from faster groups?
You need to find a slower group until you're doing the dropping.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-05-22, 11:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
I don't suppose you started with them so they knew and trusted you did you?
Old 08-05-22, 11:42 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Weren't you just talking smack in another thread about how great and strong you are as a cyclist?
Perhaps either that post or this one is satire. I really can’t tell until the OP points it out for us.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-05-22, 11:46 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
"Maybe I shouldn't even bother with the groups that I know are faster than I can handle.."

Well, there's an epiphany.

(You get dropped here daily and sadly you keep returning.)
Old 08-05-22, 11:46 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by seypat
You need to find a slower group until you're doing the dropping.
As far as I know there are 15 group rides a week near where I live and its the same dudes for the most part (two of the groups are a bit different) just some of the rides are a lot faster while others are "recovery." That being said I know the routes and if im riding in the general vicinity of one of these rides I feel compelled to atleast show up and try.
Old 08-05-22, 11:49 AM
LarrySellerz

I was talking smack to that Australian dude who rides in dirt, id be impressed if he could keep up here. Im not a great cyclist by any means but im decent
Old 08-05-22, 11:54 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Did you try dialing it up to 400 watts?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-05-22, 11:57 AM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
The problem is not getting dropped, it's not trying!! I had to laugh at myself more than once for jumping out with the young hammer heads only to get dropped within about 5 miles and to recover as the older group caught up and I jumped into the back to finish the ride. Heck, once I was dropped on a 60 mile ride by the hammerheads and the last guy in the fast group was riding and e-bike, too funny. I might be slow but still lapping the guys on the couch!
Old 08-05-22, 12:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You need Carbon Wheels Optimized for 28mm Tires!
Old 08-05-22, 12:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I was talking smack to that Australian dude who rides in dirt, id be impressed if he could keep up here. Im not a great cyclist by any means but im decent
I'm talking about -

"I don't want to argue with you about who is faster but I cycle a lot too, 300 mile weeks are not uncommon, I ride with cat 1s and former pros all the time, used to cycle delivering food for a living, dont own a car etc etc."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-05-22, 12:08 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
As far as I know there are 15 group rides a week near where I live and its the same dudes for the most part (two of the groups are a bit different) just some of the rides are a lot faster while others are "recovery." That being said I know the routes and if im riding in the general vicinity of one of these rides I feel compelled to atleast show up and try.
You either get dropped, or you don't. That's life, learn to deal with it. I'm a slow climber, and overall mediocre endurance athlete. It's really humbling to get smoked by a bent over old geezer with a limp, or a 11 year old kid in a 5-10k run. Several years ago I did a duathlon with a fellow BF member 6 or 7 years older than I. He'd been an elite runner BITD. He hadn't ran in a couple of years and didn't run any before the event. Still smoked me by 2 or 3 minutes on the 5k run. I think I was in next to last place at the first transition in front of an obese person. In March of this year as I was crossing the finish line of a half marathon, the leader of the full marathon that started a few corrals/waves in front came flying by. He collapsed about 50 yards from the finish line and had to receive medical attention. He ran the full in the same time I ran the half.

You either have the talent for a particular endeavor, or you don't. Deal with it.

Last edited by seypat; 08-05-22 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 12:08 PM
LarrySellerz

I'm talking about -

"I don't want to argue with you about who is faster but I cycle a lot too, 300 mile weeks are not uncommon, I ride with cat 1s and former pros all the time, used to cycle delivering food for a living, dont own a car etc etc."
Yeah I was engaged in a stupid pissing contest, all of those things are true but im still getting dropped
Old 08-05-22, 12:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
So, apparently being bigger than most of them didn't help on the flats?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-05-22, 12:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I'm talking about -

To be fair, this may still be true, even if it's only very briefly.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-05-22, 12:13 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Don't you have to be a part of the group to get dropped by said group?

Sounds like ole Lar was just tagging on without an invitation.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-05-22, 12:16 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
So, apparently being bigger than most of them didn't help on the flats?
I gained time on the group chasing them on canada and going down alpine but it wasn't enough to close the gap and catch the draft. On canada I was on the side of the road smoking weed and had to put my stuff away and on alpine they were up the road and I chased a long time, I thought I was going to catch them for a bit there
Old 08-05-22, 12:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Don't you have to be a part of the group to get dropped by said group?

Sounds like ole Lar was just tagging on without an invitation.
there is no invitation, and yeah they all know me. Sometimes a few of them get salty and try to bully me if I don't have a helmet but I try to bring one so its not often a problem. Its not one of those weird clubs with wavers and rules and freds who come out on the weekend.
Old 08-05-22, 12:23 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
If you keep it up you will find you get dropped less and less and soon you will be able to suck wheel for the entire ride. Then you will find yourself hanging mid pack and contributing to pulls. That is if you want to get faster but we all have our own goals. My other nic is "don't wait for me *** ".
Old 08-05-22, 12:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah I was engaged in a stupid pissing contest, all of those things are true but im still getting dropped
That's life on the road. They might not be riding more than you but their training is a lot more focused, and they're a lot lighter and riding better bikes. I'd guess you're burning matches just to hang with them on the flat, so as soon as there's any incline, you're falling back and as soon as you're even a little OTB, that's all she wrote.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-05-22, 12:30 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
You know, maybe if you spent less time smoking a J on the side of the road waiting for them, your lungs will be in better shape to help you get dropped less. Just a thought.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-05-22, 12:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Hi! What's the thread about??
Old 08-05-22, 12:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I gained time on the group chasing them on canada and going down alpine but it wasn't enough to close the gap and catch the draft. On canada I was on the side of the road smoking weed and had to put my stuff away and on alpine they were up the road and I chased a long time, I thought I was going to catch them for a bit there
They're riding along with the benefit of the draft and you're one guy who can't get very aero. Even if you burned enough matches to catch them, you probably couldn't hang on. You might catch them and immediately get spat out again. BTDT. Back in the early 2000s when I was riding with PenVelo, I was riding with the racer group and got split off on Portola. I chased them all the way to Willowbrook before catching them and instantly blew up. The bastard who'd been drafting me uninvited was able to catch them, though. At least he thanked me.

Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.