Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dogs

Old 08-05-22, 02:21 PM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Dogs

Had a large one charge my front wheel at about 12MPH, balled his paws up in my spokes, he let out a pretty good yelp, and the owner came out and de-tangled him. No damage to me, my rim not so good. Be careful out there, they come out of nowhere.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 08-05-22, 02:58 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Just heard of a friend of a friend having a very serious accident with bike and bodily injury involving a dog. I love dogs but if outside where they can run free and are not enclosed in a secure area, they should be on a leash. We have 2 small dogs and they would love to chase a bicycle, but we have leashes on them. Some neighbors have been visited by animal contol a few times due to their dog being out loose, and it has gone after 6 that I know of. Hard to think it hasn't been taken away. If a person can't be a responsible dog owner, they have no business with one.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-05-22, 03:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-05-22, 06:47 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
Had a large one charge my front wheel at about 12MPH, balled his paws up in my spokes, he let out a pretty good yelp, and the owner came out and de-tangled him. No damage to me, my rim not so good. Be careful out there, they come out of nowhere.
Wow he stuck his paw in your spokes, bet he want do that again. Of all the contingency plans I have for dealing with dogs I never considered that one.
Old 08-05-22, 07:03 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom
Wow he stuck his paw in your spokes, bet he want do that again. Of all the contingency plans I have for dealing with dogs I never considered that one.

He was stuck good, both of them in the small spaces near the axle, I'm glad I was not at 15-20 MPH, it would have been over the bars. I have been chased on my electric bike before by a pit, I hit the throttle and outran it. A lot of times people are just walking around their house with the dog next to them, they see you on the bike, and start chasing. If you ride bikes long enough in suburban, or urban areas, you are going to have a run-in with a dog.
Old 08-05-22, 07:55 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
We're going to need more popcorn.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 08-05-22, 08:30 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
Welcome to rest of the world, where loose dogs are to be seen anywhere you turn your eyes, and are the bane of cyclists, motorcyclists, runners, small kids, and old people. I learned to play “dodge’em” with dogs while cycling from the age of 6. If you want to become a good sprinter, few things motivate you more than a big dog with big white teeth coming after you at a full run.
Old 08-05-22, 08:41 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
those leash laws are a relatively new phenomenon and I don't disparage someone who ignores them.
Leash laws are nothing new. Anyway. I don't knock anyone for letting their dog roam off leash, if trained. I also don't relinquish them from financial responsibilities if a loose dog causes physical or other damages.
Old 08-05-22, 08:51 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
so is the owner picking up the tab for your trashed rim, or are you paying for his negligence? If the latter, this is some ********

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 08-07-22 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Why go around the censor?
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-05-22, 09:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
OFFS🙄
you think dogs don’t run out onto the street?
survival of the fittest. Some people want indoor cats too. dodge the dogs
Old 08-05-22, 09:49 PM
CVT

Bikes: Old school Specialized Stumpjumper, Vilano Blackjack, Burley Road Bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
That could cause seriuos injury to you and the dog, I was in a narrow trail one time and 3 dogs came of the opposite side I was lucky they ignored me, their owner was way behind. I carry dog spray just in case.
Likes For CVT:
Old 08-05-22, 10:17 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm starting to agree with the folks who think that this is a parody account.
^^^ THIS^^^
Fed the troll twice...lesson learned.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 08-06-22, 05:06 AM
indyfabz

survival of the fittest. Some people want indoor cats too. dodge the dogs
A few years ago my ex was tackled from behind by a dog who ran off a property. She never saw the thing coming. Suffered a brain bleed and fractured collar bone. Spent more than a month in the hospital and rehab under constant watch. She was not even allowed to use the bathroom alone. The property owners paid dearly and where charged criminally.

There are some subjects you should not troll about as they can have serious consequences. It’s a shame BR lets you get away with the stuff it does.

Old 08-06-22, 05:10 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kaos joe
We're going to need more popcorn.
I figured that punk would show up.
Old 08-06-22, 05:25 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
In the land of litigation I cant imagine why someone would dare not leashing their dog? You era one bite or bike chase away from bankruptcy.
Old 08-06-22, 05:52 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
In the land of litigation I cant imagine why someone would dare not leashing their dog? You era one bite or bike chase away from bankruptcy.
I have two fang scars in my left calf, nothing more. From a Great White Pyrenees bite. The electric dog fence was down and no one knew it. The owners paid for my modest out of pocket cost and I let it go.
Old 08-06-22, 05:54 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Where I live in SC, the county has ordinances in place to keep dogs restrained. This can be a leash, fence, or electric fence. Owners are responsible for the actions of their dogs.
We used to have two large dogs that would chase our riding group. We got video of them and turned it over to the authorities, who talked to the owners and warned them. Warnings were ignored, and finally, one of the dogs knocked a woman off her bike, which resulted in a broken wrist.
All of a sudden they are in a fenced in yard.
No one was bitten, but the average lawsuit for dog bites in SC isn't cheap for the owners - Average Dog Bite Settlement in South Carolina (peacelawfirm.com)
Old 08-06-22, 06:32 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
those leash laws are a relatively new phenomenon and I don't disparage someone who ignores them.
Would you disparage the owners that allowed this:https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jacquel...dogs-lawsuit/?

Texas college student loses her ears, nose and lips after being attacked by dogs.

Old 08-06-22, 06:37 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I dont think dogs should be on leashes, its honestly kind of weird to leash another animal like we do to dogs. Its on the rider to slow down and dodge the dog similar to how you have to behave around children. Honestly this is a MUP issue and I would just tell any rider complaining to ride in the street like an adult.
I got bit riding a few weeks ago. I was on the street. Every dog chase I’ve experienced has been on the street.

it’s not a mup issue. Cougars are a mup issue.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-06-22, 06:45 AM
indyfabz

Thats terrible, sad to hear. I still don't think dogs should have to be on leashes, humans do some horrible things but im sure youd feel bad if someone put a leash on you.
You’re ignorant when it comes to dogs, and a lot of other subjects, to state the obvious. Do some reading on the evolution of the domesticated dog if you’re not engaging in more trolling. And hope you don’t suffer as a result of one.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-06-22 at 06:51 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-06-22, 07:07 AM
sourdoughT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been attacked several times by dogs while riding back in the day of newspaper route. Twice I returned the favor with a solid kick to their nose with them behind me. I now carry a flashlight and pepper gel with me.
Old 08-06-22, 07:27 AM
CVT

Bikes: Old school Specialized Stumpjumper, Vilano Blackjack, Burley Road Bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I think whoever refuse to leach their dog, the dog should be taken away from them and given to another responsible person, doing so will reduce the chances of broken bones and other injuries to people and the dog, and I don't mind putting bad dog owners on leach as a punishment if the dog attacked a person.
Likes For CVT:
Old 08-06-22, 07:37 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I dont think dogs should be on leashes

The law in most jurisdictions requires leashes so it really doesn’t matter what you think.
Old 08-06-22, 08:19 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I know my terrier will chase anything. It's genetic instinct and no amount of training will curb that instinct.
Don't fool yourself into thinking a trained dog will obey you 100% of the time.
My boy is always leashed on walks or in the park. He is scrappy and loves to chase and fight.
Know your dogs so you can protect him and others.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-06-22, 09:45 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
The law in most jurisdictions requires leashes so it really doesn’t matter what you think.
The problem with Larry is that he doesn`t care about laws. It`s pointless to reason with him.
Likes For wolfchild:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.