Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

what is "neutral start"?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

what is "neutral start"?

Old 06-30-21, 05:03 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
what is "neutral start"?

I hear that often when the cyclists line up for Le Tour de france. what does it mean - first come first served?

thanks
Old 06-30-21, 05:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
It's essentially just to get them safely out of the host start city and let them warm up a little before things are allowed to get crazy.

I think there is some loosely chosen line up for the cyclist based on standings and fame, but it's pretty much a small ceremonial parade type thing.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-30-21, 06:10 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Just to add to the above, it also means the riders roll out at a controlled speed behind an official vehicle that they cannot pass, at a certain point the control car gets out of the way and the attacks/breakaways can start. Similar to when a pace car is out in autoracing.
Old 06-30-21, 06:43 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
ah ok thanks all!
Old 07-01-21, 05:01 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
The related depart fictif is one of my favorite arcane terms. Also sleeping policeman, though unrelated to the roll out. Unless G is racing.
Old 07-09-21, 10:23 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Stage 12 was a textbook example for how to screw up a neutral start.
Old 07-09-21, 10:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I remember watching a TdF controlled Neutral start from Bourg d'Oisans. Greg Lemond stayed behind in town signing autographs for like 5 minutes, the fans were just orgasmic. His teammates kept trying to get him onto the road and he was like, don't worry we'll catch them. They shot out of town like the Disney's Rockn Rollercoaster at Hollywood Studios.
Old 07-09-21, 05:45 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It's essentially just to get them safely out of the host start city and let them warm up a little before things are allowed to get crazy.

I think there is some loosely chosen line up for the cyclist based on standings and fame, but it's pretty much a small ceremonial parade type thing.
That which I bolded up in the quote, I don't think warming up is intended at all even if that happens. It allows starting from a media and spectators attractive place in town, like some town square or memorabilia point of interest, but it can be a place totally unsuitable for any competitive riding.

The lineup order is supposed to be kept (I think even teams should keep to where they were placed initially) and it is kept more or less I think. Otherwise you would get some team trying to percolate through the field to the front behind the celebs in those tricots and that would almost certainly lead to accidents and bad blood among teams, so I think its not done.

I also believe (not having read the rules) there is a rule that bikes should keep behind the leading car's bumper or maybe up to its halfway point (?), since often they don't keep behind it, but likely there is a rule to keep to the rear bumper and they just don't make a big thing out of it when some ride pretty well alongside the car before the race is waved off.

Last edited by vane171; 07-09-21 at 05:57 PM.