Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Audio recording bike ride

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 11-01-21, 04:56 AM
SquiggleCat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere. I did have a look. 2 of us are wanting to create an audio book with our tales of cycling in North Devon and beyond. Not sure what equipment to use. Any ideas would be gratefully received. I do have a Presonus Audiobox to process it but not sure how to record the actual ride to include 2 voices in discussion. Many thanks.
Old 11-01-21, 05:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Like This One.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-01-21, 06:33 AM
SquiggleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=10 Wheels;22291163]Like This One.

Hi 10Wheels [on my wagon?]

Yes but we were thinking audio only for an audiobook.

I guess this is with a GoPro or similar. Maybe we should use a GoPro and ‘extract’ the audio. Not used one so don’t quite know what is possible.
And where to attach it on a bike to film 2 riders.

Many thanks.

Warm wishes from across the pond

Old 11-01-21, 06:41 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Ed and Paul have worked at it for over Four Years.

Old 11-01-21, 06:46 AM
SquiggleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Ed and Paul have worked at it for over Four Years.

What equipment do they use please? Or should I message them? I assume they are doing audio and video?

We are just wanting audio to release as an audio book.

Many thanks again.
Old 11-01-21, 08:54 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
In the 90s, my then-girlfriend and I were working on a bike-touring book, and we wanted to record cues and mileages as we rode (obviously this was way before consumer GPS). I mounted dictation recorders on our handlebars using a couple of hose clamps and rubber sheeting to dampen shocks a bit. These days you could get a utility handlebar mount from Minoura and rig something onto that.

I don't think it would be realistic to try to record two people on one device while riding—I just don't think the technology is there. There are voice recorders with timecode support, so you could import tracks from two devices into audio-editing software and sync the tracks there.

You'll probably want a "windjammer" (one of those fuzzballs that fits over the mic). Ideally, there would be a wireless lav mic with a push-to-talk button so that you could stick the recorder in a back pocket, but as far as I can tell, wireless lav mics that don't require a lot of supporting hardware are uncommon (I've seen exactly one that uses Bluetooth), and they never have PTT buttons anyhow.
Old 11-01-21, 12:23 PM
SquiggleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
In the 90s, my then-girlfriend and I were working on a bike-touring book, and we wanted to record cues and mileages as we rode (obviously this was way before consumer GPS). I mounted dictation recorders on our handlebars using a couple of hose clamps and rubber sheeting to dampen shocks a bit. These days you could get a utility handlebar mount from Minoura and rig something onto that.

I don't think it would be realistic to try to record two people on one device while riding—I just don't think the technology is there. […]

You'll probably want a "windjammer" (one of those fuzzballs that fits over the mic). Ideally, there would be a wireless lav mic with a push-to-talk button so that you could stick the recorder in a back pocket, but as far as I can tell, wireless lav mics that don't require a lot of supporting hardware are uncommon (I've seen exactly one that uses Bluetooth), and they never have PTT buttons anyhow.
Many thanks for all the info. Not quite as easy as I had hoped.
Old 11-01-21, 07:26 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Check out the Rode Wireless Go 2. Might be what you're looking for, but do note one very important caveat that this particular product requires clear line of sight for best results.
Likes For atwl77: