Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What was your most epic MTB ride?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-22, 02:47 PM
swordfish2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts

For me, it was this one, last year in July.
It was a great MTB experience, that I will never forget, with breathtaking landscapes, and very hard climbs.
I'll let the photos do the talk

Likes For swordfish2011:
Old 03-26-22, 08:00 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 285 Posts
No pics of the ride but, while living on Kauai HI, Waimea Canyon.
Fantastic downhill to a point overlooking the beach and ocean. A grueling grind back uphill.

A couple of representative pics snagged off the internet.....

Not me....

Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 03-26-22, 09:57 AM
swordfish2011

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts
Wow! That looks amazing! I would love to ride there at least once in this lifetime 😁👍🚴‍♂️
Old 03-26-22, 01:56 PM
somewhatfast

Bikes: 2007 26" Specialized Hardrock (currently being rebuilt) 2015 24" Giant XTCjr MTB turned dirt jumper.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me it was my ride on July 4th 2021. It was my first real trail ride and it had awesome views of the Sierra Nevada mountains and Truckee river, a few super long, steep, and rocky climbs, and some fun little floater jumps. No pics but it was pretty awesome.

Last edited by somewhatfast; 03-26-22 at 02:17 PM.
Likes For somewhatfast:
Old 03-26-22, 08:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The one that felt the most epic was riding my bike about 3 miles to junior high through state trust desert in northwest Phoenix. This would have been about 1990-91, my 8th grade year. I went through a pass that is now the terminus of Alameda Road. The area is now built up with tract housing bordering Thunderbird Park but at the time it was just a lot of ATV tracks and shell casings, with horsey exurbs on either side. To have that self reliance, what an adventure! The school was in the middle of nowhere built in advance of the sprawl. My bike was the only one in the rack. It was a year or two old but this was the first year of operation. Some weeks later, probably because it was hot, I decided I hated it and let the air out of my tires so my mom would have to come get me. The drive around on pavement was about twice as long and still is.

I've done plenty of other bigger bicycle rides in my adult life but none of them seemed that... consequential? Once I took my bike to high school (1993 or 4) but the pass in that range (now shown as N 47th Ave from Beardsley but then just dirt) was gated and definitely didn't seem like they wanted people using it. This was shortly after the 500 Golf Course and the AZ101 were built and the direct route started to feel like trespassing and jaywalking rather than adventuring. That was probably about the end of anything seeming epic on a bike.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-26-22 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-10-22, 09:47 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Late afternoon, late September riding Captain Jacks/Buckhorn trail, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 1992-ish. I was stationed at Fort Carson, and riding all the time. In the best shape I've been in my whole life. I'd just huffed it up a long climb and was enjoying the fruits of my labor. Spun around a tight corner clearing a rock outcropping, and the trail ahead was a long (ish) straight, through a grove of aspen trees. Most held their golden leaves, but enough had fallen on the trail to obscure most of it. That magnificent Colorado sun was shining through the trees at a low angle, filtering through those incredible leaves, and the air was golden. It made the leaves on the ground look like the trail was paved with gold. The whole scene looked like it was tinted gold/yellow. There was no one around, it was silent and still, and I had to stop and etch the scene in my memory because I knew I'd never experience anything as unbelievable as that moment in time again. I now live north of Salt Lake City, at the base of the Wasatch mountains, and have ridden every trail there is here to ride, in every season. There are some stunning rides I've taken here, but none have ever matched that moment in the mountains above Colorado Springs. Even if I had a picture it would not have come close to capturing what I experienced that day. Epic!
Old 11-10-22, 10:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
South Boundary Trail, Taos, NM, likely epic, but really and for distance and remoteness, it was a buddy and I going up Tesuque Peak in Santa Fe, 12,000 footer, then bushwacking down the ski area service roads, then hooking up with the legendary Winsor Trail, epic downhill for miles, then a slog up the Chamisa Trail, running out of water at this point, fortunately a car was parked on Rt 475. Long way. Mid 1990's when ai was young and fit.
Old 11-11-22, 03:37 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
80km trail ride la boucle en seine done twice in 2017 and 2018 with some mountain bikers .I discovered some very nice trails not far from where I live and also in towns much far further where I have never been. My steel frame MTBs gave me comfort but also were and are a pleasure to drive. I was even riding much faster than the ones having 33 spd/22spd drive trains and 27.5 and 29 wheeled MTBs. We also had lunch in open air and good discussions. Never had a flat. One of the moutain bikers was riding a rare Merlin hardtail. The other ones were riding carbon full suspended Scott and Specialized bikes with disc brakes.
Old 11-11-22, 05:05 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I raced the Vermont 50 several times back in the aughts. It's 50 miles with 8,900 feet of climbing. (80km/2,700m) Good times. I've been on many 8+ hour rides with friends over the years. There was a couple routes we used to do that were 4 hours to a lunch spot, then 4 hours back to cars.
Old 11-13-22, 06:04 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
1978, Joe Breeze, Gary Fisher, Wende Cragg, Mike Castelli and I took our bikes to Crested Butte. The two day ride over Pearl Pass (12,700') was epic. Here is my story about the following year.

Likes For Repack Rider: