Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Why is full suspension so controversial?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Why is full suspension so controversial?

Old 02-18-22, 08:29 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I'm perfectly willing to keep listening if people want to try to convince me that I should buy an MTB with suspension instead of a rigid fatbike and cyclocross bike for trail riding, but I'm willing to let it go too.
I don't think anyone here is going to try and convince you. It's something you need to find out on your own.

Plus we don't know your situation:

-Maybe you are younger and your body can take a beating on a rigid bike?
-Maybe you ride all machine built trails that are all buffed out?
-Maybe you never ride through rock gardens?

Maybe you've never taken a spin on FS bike...So you don't know what you don't know.

Too many factors at play for any of us to say what's best for you. Only you can decide that.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-18-22, 09:38 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I'm perfectly willing to keep listening if people want to try to convince me that I should buy an MTB with suspension instead of a rigid fatbike and cyclocross bike for trail riding, but I'm willing to let it go too.
I fully agree with prj71 on his answer to this question. heh, it would be amusing to have anyone try to talk a Canadian in your area that a fat bike wouldn't be good. Fat Bikes are not going to be for everyone though. Heck, for what I ride and am planning, I wouldn't waste my money on one and frankly, no one would ever be able to talk me into a fat bike. It would be a complete waste of my money.

I do enjoy my hardtail and it was nice how my teenage son and I worked on upgrades for fun of it. Great for nicely groomed trails and soon for bike packing. But I bought a FS to start tackling trails like this new one in my local state park:

Check out after the 6 minute time period. Yea, my son and I looked at this new trail with our hard tails and were like forget about it! Fat Bike on this, yea...no....

Other trails in this state park, yea fat bikes would be ok, heck, there are some true craziness from people using gravel bikes on some trails in this park......

Edit: Also bought the FS to start joining up some bike clubs in the local area to go riding with others in my age group.

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-18-22 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-18-22, 10:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
^^^Those rock features would so suck on a rigid. I've tried that stuff on a rigid already. Never again.

Nice video!!
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-18-22, 03:39 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you ride really smooth trails or you don't care about control at speed on rough ones.... guess I don't have much to say.
Old 02-18-22, 09:16 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I don't think anyone here is going to try and convince you. It's something you need to find out on your own.

Plus we don't know your situation:

-Maybe you are younger and your body can take a beating on a rigid bike?
I'm 43. Is that younger? Younger is relative.
-Maybe you ride all machine built trails that are all buffed out?
Never been on a machine built trail
-Maybe you never ride through rock gardens?
Maybe you've never taken a spin on FS bike...So you don't know what you don't know.
I'll put these two together - I do, and I have. That's actually what scared the bejesus out of me with suspension. I rented a full-suspension at Whistler 12 years ago, misread a trail map and ended up entering a rock garden at stupid speed. Was mentally ready for severe injury type speed. Went to full soft legs and arms to try to absorb everything - and the bike did it all. I feel like if I rode full suspension I'd kill or maim myself fairly quickly by taking things faster and faster or doing bigger and bigger things to keep interesting. Doing a blue MTB trail on a cyclocross bike is pretty challenging to the bike handling skills, very interesting, and pretty safe. Doing a harder trail at 3 times the speed on a super-capable modern bike - probably equally challenging, but consequences way higher.

The fat bike is new to me, actually, and probably going to bring me back to riding more trails, as it has enough squish and width to ride modern trails (CX bike doesn't for many of them), but still slow negotiation of some stuff.
Old 02-18-22, 09:52 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Gravel Bikes are just road bikes that just suck.
I'd flip your signature and say that gravel bikes are mountain bikes that don't suck. (Or squish maybe?)
Old 02-19-22, 06:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'd flip your signature and say that gravel bikes are mountain bikes that don't suck. (Or squish maybe?)
Well if you want to flip that around… Gravel bikes are mountain bikes that suck at being mountain bikes.