Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Strapping a bike pump to my frame

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 06:43 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I have a 2015 Canfield Balance. The water bottle mount holes are underneath the downtube. I'd like to NOT carry a backpack hydration system on my shorter rides. So I picked up a hip pack with a water bottle. Now I got one problem solved. The hip pack holds some basic tools, water bottle and my iphone. But not a pump.

I bought a little pump that sort of fits in my hip pack but it's a snug fit. The mount bracket for the pump leaves the pump close to my pedal stroke. Pretty sure my foot will get caught up on the pump at the worst possible moment.

How and where would you strap this pump to the frame?

Pics of the pump, bike and hip pack attached.

Old 03-02-22, 08:47 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Never understood why bike companies designed FS MTBs that don't fit a water bottle. A while back Yeti bikes were the same as your Canfield. Then they re-designed the frame and one of their selling points they advertised was that the new design will fit a water bottle. I'm thinking enough customers complained.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-02-22, 10:09 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
given images of your bike frame - I would get one of these : Two Fish Bike Block Pump Holder.
I would strap it on the underside of the toptube - everything is frame and pump size dependent...
2condary location might work on backside of seattube - depending on linkage travel and any dropper post travel...
... Personal issue... I don;t understand why some frame pumps of all kinds don;t come with a pumphead plug/cover.
many of my frame pumps can be covered with a small section of old tire tube ... but not all. annoying when the pumphead can't be blocked from road/offroad debris/dirt.
still looking for 'plugs' which can slip into the pumphead offrice...
Bueller?

Ride On
Yuri
Old 03-02-22, 10:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
... Personal issue... I don;t understand why some frame pumps of all kinds don;t come with a pumphead plug/cover.
many of my frame pumps can be covered with a small section of old tire tube ... but not all. annoying when the pumphead can't be blocked from road/offroad debris/dirt.
still looking for 'plugs' which can slip into the pumphead offrice...
Bueller?

Ride On
Yuri
Look at the Topeak "Rocket" series pumps. They all have a cover. And so do the Lezyne. I have pumps from both brands.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...216-Mini-Pumps

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/hand-pumps
Old 03-04-22, 09:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
if that's not a dropper post how about the back of the seat post?
Old 03-06-22, 03:05 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Slightly off-topic consideration: dust and dirt will shorten the lifespan of your pump. I’d suggest a jersey pocket.
Old 03-08-22, 05:16 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
So i was wrong - with the pump installed in the mount on the underside of the downtube - there was zero interference with my pedal stroke. I think I'm going to wrap my pump in a plastic bag or plastic wrap to protect it from the mud.
Likes For lyle.coop:
Old 03-08-22, 08:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I got tired of losing pumps in the woods so I started to use double sided velcro straps in addition to the supplied mount. I strap the velcro to the frame first, and then wrap the straps around the pump. That way the straps stay attached to the frame when I take the pump out.
Likes For unterhausen: