Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mounting Wahoo Roam on handlebars with my Cygolite Metro 800 light

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 04:28 PM
geepondy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hi. I recently purchased a Wahoo Roam and like other's I'm sure found it interferes with the light which in my case is a Cygolite Metro 800 when using the Wahoo handle bar mount as shown below. It makes it difficult to press the computer side buttons as well as the light creating glare on the computer screen. I only use the light in flashing daylight mode. In researching online solutions, I see there are after market adapters with a Go Pro mount to attach a light on the bottom side and the computer on the top but I'm sure my light is not Go Pro compatible. In another, a youtuber uses a small Topeak light that he mounts to the bottom of the supplied Wahoo mount using the round rubber bands. This is a small light, also only mostly suitable for daytime use. I guess this might do but would rather keep the same light i only just bought last summer if possible.

Any suggestions on how I can use both is appreciated. Right now I have the computer mounted on the stem which is not going to be a permanent solution for me. I want the light placed for less neck/eye movement between the computer and the road in front of me. I wonder how people manage this with big night time lights?

Old 04-08-22, 04:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
With a light from a big brand like Cygolite, you should be able to find a commercial GoPro adapter so that you can mount it under your Wahoo. With smaller brands, you might need to resort to a Shapeways model/print, but I don't think you'll have that issue.
Old 04-08-22, 04:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
The solution is easy and free: swap their locations.
Old 04-08-22, 05:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
Flip the light to hang under your bars. I do that on one of my bikes, works like a champ. I planned to get a camera mount so I could hang my light for it, but decided this worked find and it saved me some money.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-08-22, 05:49 PM
geepondy

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The solution is easy and free: swap their locations.
I did try that but because the mount puts the light to the left, it overhangs the handle bar and my hand position, so moving my hands around which I tend to do is more awkward.
Old 04-08-22, 05:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
- Move the GPS unit to the left a bit so it isn't in the exact middle of the stem. Now you have more room.

or

- Mount the Light on the underside of the bars. There is no law it needs to sit atop the bars. You use it to be seen in the day so it doesnt need to be at the perfect downward angle...just mount it upside down and be done.
I run my cygolite upside down because i dont like lights perched atop the bars.
Old 04-08-22, 05:52 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by geepondy
I did try that but because the mount puts the light to the left, it overhangs the handle bar and my hand position, so moving my hands around which I tend to do is more awkward.
I'm not really sure what you are describing. The light sits dead center on it's mount. Are you trying to say that the computer would intrude into your hand position when holding onto the bar tops, if mounted to the right of the stem?
Old 04-08-22, 05:54 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Flip the light to hang under your bars. I do that on one of my bikes, works like a champ. I planned to get a camera mount so I could hang my light for it, but decided this worked find and it saved me some money.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Move the GPS unit to the left a bit so it isn't in the exact middle of the stem. Now you have more room.

or

- Mount the Light on the underside of the bars. There is no law it needs to sit atop the bars. You use it to be seen in the day so it doesnt need to be at the perfect downward angle...just mount it upside down and be done.
I run my cygolite upside down because i dont like lights perched atop the bars.
I don't know about this light, but sometimes that exposes the charging socket to rain. If not true in this case, it's a good option.

There's this, too, if the fork has an appropriate mount.
Old 04-08-22, 06:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't know about this light, but sometimes that exposes the charging socket to rain. If not true in this case, it's a good option.

There's this, too, if the fork has an appropriate mount.
Yep, would agree with that. In my instances, the charge socket is on the end, so it works in either mode.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-08-22, 06:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
GoPro adapter is 10 bucks -

https://shop.cygolite.com/product.sc...&categoryId=31

I don't recall if the stock Wahoo mount includes a quarter turn GoPro mount, but they should be available if you want to continue to use the Wahoo mount. I opted to pick up this out-front mount for 17 bucks -

https://www.amazon.com/Dymoece-Exten.../dp/B07SSXGZ1H

It'll clean up the cockpit considerably. This is my bike with that mount and a (much larger) Cycliq camera/light -

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-08-22, 06:44 PM
jaxgtr

The stock wahoo mount does not include a camera mount, but for $15, I think I will pick that up.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't recall if the stock Wahoo mount includes a quarter turn GoPro mount, but they should be available if you want to continue to use the Wahoo mount. I opted to pick up this out-front mount for 17 bucks -

https://www.amazon.com/Dymoece-Exten.../dp/B07SSXGZ1H

It'll clean up the cockpit considerably. This is my bike with that mount and a (much larger) Cycliq camera/light -

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-08-22 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 07:24 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Cygolite Go-Pro adapter is available from Amazon too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cygolite-Li.../dp/B07NLWS8VG

I use it with my Cygolite Streak. Should work with Metro light as well.

Old 04-09-22, 02:05 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
if flipping it is not something you're wanting to do, you could install a bracket extension:
https://www.amazon.com/UPANBIKE-Hand...9&sr=1-20&th=1
Old 04-09-22, 09:38 AM
geepondy

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I flipped the light. It will do for now but cable clutter gets in the way of the light a bit and I'm not in love with the light mounting post screw sticking up. I like the idea of the Dymoece mount with Cygolite Go Pro adapter and the way it cleans up the cockpit area but from pictures below, do you think cable clutter will get in the way of the light? Also I assume with the Go Pro adapter, the light is still able to be removed from sliding it out of the adapter (not having to remove screw where adapter screws into mount)?

My you guys have nice hover bar cable layouts! I like my Specialized Roubaix but not in love with the Hoverbar (it's big for small hands) or the cable layout although not sure what else could have been done.

Old 04-11-22, 09:03 PM
Koyote

I’m still trying to fathom why you couldn’t just switch the two devices’ locations. Your explanation of it made absolutely zero sense.