Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need super stable road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-18-22, 11:56 AM
yesroh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 56 and ride a Specialized Roubaix. I've been cycling since 1979 but have always been weak on handling--very nervous rider, can't stand pack riding or having a lot of people around me. I used to compete, actually did 40K in under 57 minutes, about 60 races in my lifetime, maybe more, but the older I get, the more nervous I get. The only time in my life I could ride no-handed was with my 40 pound rusted Schwinn.

I get nervous on downhills and crosswinds and sometimes have to sing to calm my nerves, although I do about 3000 miles a year.

So I'm thinking about replacing my Roubaix with something like a Trek Checkpoint or some road bike style that is super stable. The trail on my Roubaix is 59mm and I think the Checkpoint may be 72mm. When I look for bicycles for nervous riders I come up with fat tires, upright handlebars but I just want a super stretched bicycle that is light and fast enough to be competitive in hillclimbs.

I noticed a marked loss of confidence in 2000 when I traded my 53cm Klein Quantum for a Trek 5200. I don't know if there's a point where I can get my confidence back or if 72mm of trail will be noticeably more stable than 59mm.

I would also like a long wheelbase. My first good bicycle was a Klein Performance with a 41.1inch wheelbase and I had plenty of room to carry a full size frame pump.

If I can't find a bicycle that will be noticeably more stable, there's no point in spending the money because my current bicycle is fine. I almost ordered a Checkpoint two weeks ago but the backup is almost a year.
Old 05-18-22, 12:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
I think you are on the right track by looking at a gravel bike like the Checkpoint. Have you looked at other gravel bikes? How about a longer stem?
Old 05-18-22, 12:23 PM
yesroh

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the Giant Revolt but it doesn't have the suspension like the Checkpoint. It does have an even longer trail, up to 84mm.

Honestly, I don't think anything will really fix the problem. But putting a longer stem on my old bike helped and when I bought this Roubaix second hand in 2013, I put the same stem on it. They normally have a shorter stem. I've never had a new bicycle and I thought if I was going to do it and get the disc brakes (although I heard they are more sensitive in cross winds) and the fancy e-shifting, I might as well try to get a super stable frame. The kind of racing I do doesn't need nimble handling--I was only good at time trials and hill climbs so although I need a fast bike, I don't need a quick bike. Right now I use it mostly for cross-training for my running, but I like to race Pikes Peak or Mt. Washington or Mt. Evans, and I'd love to give Haleakala a shot.

I picked the Checkpoint because the suspension on the Treks was rated as good or better than the Roubaix suspension, and since the new Roubaix has gone with more aggressive geometry, I probably should go for the Trek. I think a heavier bike would help, but then I'd suffer on the climbs. I have lighter wheels I use for climbing. I think improving my ability to train without nerves would more than make up for any extra weight.
Old 05-18-22, 12:45 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Rather than the Checkpoint, why not the Domane? It'll have the front IsoSpeed in addition to the rear IsoSpeed and I would think that the other the Checkpoint additions (larger tire clearance, additional mounting points for touring, etc) would actually be welcome omissions, in your case.

I found my old Domane to be super stable, I could ride no-hands on it for days, and it was very sure-footed over rough/bumpy surfaces, which was particularly noticeable when cornering. I actually moved away from my Domane because I wanted something a little more snappy in the handling department, though I briefly considered keeping it around for long, solo rides.
Old 05-18-22, 12:47 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by yesroh
I'm 56 and ride a Specialized Roubaix. I've been cycling since 1979 but have always been weak on handling--very nervous rider, can't stand pack riding or having a lot of people around me. I used to compete, actually did 40K in under 57 minutes, about 60 races in my lifetime, maybe more, but the older I get, the more nervous I get. The only time in my life I could ride no-handed was with my 40 pound rusted Schwinn.

I get nervous on downhills and crosswinds and sometimes have to sing to calm my nerves, although I do about 3000 miles a year.

So I'm thinking about replacing my Roubaix with something like a Trek Checkpoint or some road bike style that is super stable. The trail on my Roubaix is 59mm and I think the Checkpoint may be 72mm. When I look for bicycles for nervous riders I come up with fat tires, upright handlebars but I just want a super stretched bicycle that is light and fast enough to be competitive in hillclimbs.

I noticed a marked loss of confidence in 2000 when I traded my 53cm Klein Quantum for a Trek 5200. I don't know if there's a point where I can get my confidence back or if 72mm of trail will be noticeably more stable than 59mm.

I would also like a long wheelbase. My first good bicycle was a Klein Performance with a 41.1inch wheelbase and I had plenty of room to carry a full size frame pump.

If I can't find a bicycle that will be noticeably more stable, there's no point in spending the money because my current bicycle is fine. I almost ordered a Checkpoint two weeks ago but the backup is almost a year.
It sounds like you're really looking for "a bike that won't fall over" - and such a bike doesn't exist. Outside of bikes so poorly designed or set up that they're impossible to keep upright, all bikes exists within a spectrum of somewhat more or less stable than others - but it really comes down to the rider to keep it upright - even the twitchiest bike is rideable, and even the stablest bike is crashable. Yes, you can make life easier for yourself with a nice stable machine with a long wheelbase, a slightly more upright position etc, without sacrificing weight and performance (eg gravel or endurance geometry), but you really have to figure out how to get out of your own head - that's where the problem is, and no bike is going to solve it.
Old 05-18-22, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Since you mention you ride in groups too, then I'd be on the opposite side of very stable.

I'd want something that is responsive and let me quickly dodge any hazards that those in front of me failed to point out or for times wheels are about to touch. And that is going to be a sporty handling bike which some refer to as twitchy.

If you truly are only going to be a solo rider, then stable is okay. But the last bike I had that I'd call really very stable was from 1991. And the most stable bike a 46 pound Schwinn Varsity from 1979.

How 'bout a recumbent trike?

Last edited by Iride01; 05-18-22 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-18-22, 02:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
It sounds like you're really looking for "a bike that won't fall over" - and such a bike doesn't exist. Outside of bikes so poorly designed or set up that they're impossible to keep upright, all bikes exists within a spectrum of somewhat more or less stable than others - but it really comes down to the rider to keep it upright - even the twitchiest bike is rideable, and even the stablest bike is crashable. Yes, you can make life easier for yourself with a nice stable machine with a long wheelbase, a slightly more upright position etc, without sacrificing weight and performance (eg gravel or endurance geometry), but you really have to figure out how to get out of your own head - that's where the problem is, and no bike is going to solve it.
Definitely agree with most of what you've posted except the upright position comment. The more upright you sit the less weight on the front end, the less 'stable' the bike will be. I agree 100% w/ the problem not necessarily being physical but much more mental. No bike will help that much.
Old 05-18-22, 03:05 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
What about a Cervelo Caledonia? You could also consider a touring bike.
Old 05-18-22, 03:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
My Giant Defy is about as stable as reasonably fast road bikes go. Long wheelbase and fairly slack steering. It's rock solid on fast descents.
Old 05-18-22, 03:26 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Buy something old for $40.
Old 05-18-22, 07:32 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell
What about a Cervelo Caledonia? You could also consider a touring bike.
I have a Cervelo Caledonia and a Specialized Diverge. I can tell you that the Diverge is much more stable than the Caledonia.
Likes For Random11:
Old 05-18-22, 07:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Since you mention you ride in groups too, then I'd be on the opposite side of very stable.

How 'bout a recumbent trike?
No, he stated he cant stand riding in packs.

@OP, I'd be looking for longer wheel base bikes, they will handle slower, feel less twitchey. Gravel bikes can be that, you can always get a 2nd wheel set with skinny, 32mm tires. Gravel bikes tend to weigh more though. My aluminum Topstone is 22 lbs vs. my carbon road bike at 17.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-18-22 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-18-22, 08:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
This is weird advice but whenever I test ride a new bike I try standing up while taking my hands off the handlebars. It takes a while to learn, but once you can its really easy to tell when there is some stability issue with the bike. Normally indicates something wasn't installed perfectly or has since come out of adjustment, but some bikes are just more stable than others. A stable bike will mostly correct itself even in gusts of wind, while some bikes will buck like a bronco. A shop owner taught me this
Old 05-18-22, 08:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Honestly, I don't think anything will really fix the problem.
Can you rent some road and gravel bikes and see how they feel under you? Before coming to any decision?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-19-22, 08:26 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
My vote.

Trek Domane

Ritchey Outback or Road logic
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 05-19-22, 11:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
This is weird advice but whenever I test ride a new bike I try standing up while taking my hands off the handlebars. It takes a while to learn, but once you can its really easy to tell when there is some stability issue with the bike. Normally indicates something wasn't installed perfectly or has since come out of adjustment, but some bikes are just more stable than others. A stable bike will mostly correct itself even in gusts of wind, while some bikes will buck like a bronco. A shop owner taught me this
I can't see the OP being up for this "test"
Old 05-19-22, 11:18 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I ride a 2018 Domane SL 5 and have nothing but good things to say about it. With 32mm tires it can take some gravel and bad roads. That said, I just bought a 2022 Chedkpoint SL5, not because of any problem with the Domane but because I'm 74 and wanted a new bike to add to the stable. Either way you'll love either of the two. I would think that the Checkpoint would offer more stability. You have to look around the country to find a shop that has either bike in stock. The Trek site will help you do this. I visited my son in Houston two weeks ago and both bikes were available. I live in Montana and neither are available here with the exception of the Checkpoint AL. I'm sure that there are other endurance and gravel bike options available from other companies.
Old 05-19-22, 12:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Huh. My 5200 is the bike I'd vote as "mostly likely to continue going where I point it." Very smooth and comfortable on crowded rides. Stable, no wobble ever, up to 60 mph. I'd say something's wrong with yours. Headset? Replace with Chris King. If it has the original 1-bolt stem, they were recalled. Replace with a threadless adapter and a forged stem. Or I wonder, is it the bike?

I remember thinking when I first had mine, "No wonder Lance won his first TdF on this frame. It's so effortless to handle."
Old 05-19-22, 12:30 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Huh. My 5200 is the bike I'd vote as "mostly likely to continue going where I point it." Very smooth and comfortable on crowded rides. Stable, no wobble ever, up to 60 mph. I'd say something's wrong with yours. Headset? Replace with Chris King. If it has the original 1-bolt stem, they were recalled. Replace with a threadless adapter and a forged stem. Or I wonder, is it the bike?

I remember thinking when I first had mine, "No wonder Lance won his first TdF on this frame. It's so effortless to handle."
So right! I actually had both the Quantum Race and 5200 simultaneously, as first owner for each of them. The 5200 felt like it was on rails, and more locked in than the Klein, so there seems to be more to this story. I held onto the Klein longer, because of this very difference.
Old 05-19-22, 12:41 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
have always been weak on handling--very nervous rider, can't stand pack riding or having a lot of people around me. ...
the older I get, the more nervous I get...
I get nervous on downhills and crosswinds...
The new Checkpoint is definitely longer than your Roubaix and will probably feel a bit more stable, but the Roubaix isn't exactly a twitchy bike to begin with, and I'm doubtful that 13mm difference in trail geometry alone is going to suddenly give you a ton of new confidence for pack riding and fast descents with crosswinds, etc.

The obvious answer is to go test ride one, if you can find one in stock.
Old 05-19-22, 12:52 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
FWIW - the trail measurement on the Domane is only longer than the Roubaix in certain sizes:

52cm frame: Domane=59mm and Roubaix=59mm.
54cm frame: Domane=59mm and Roubaix=61mm.
56cm frame: Domane=61mm and Roubaix=55mm.

I realize there's more to a bike's overall handling than this one measurement, but the OP specifically noted increased trail as something they were looking for.
Old 05-20-22, 01:42 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Surly Disc Trucker.
Heavy, long, and more stable than an aircraft carrier.
Can ride it for a week no-handed.
26 lbs of real sweet steel.
Old 05-20-22, 04:27 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Surly Disc Trucker.
Heavy, long, and more stable than an aircraft carrier.
Can ride it for a week no-handed.
26 lbs of real sweet steel.
Is riding no handed the test for stability? If so, the R3 and Aspero must be incredibly stable.

To the OP, agree with the others that the Domane would work.
Old 05-20-22, 05:22 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Is riding no handed the test for stability? If so, the R3 and Aspero must be incredibly stable.

To the OP, agree with the others that the Domane would work.
It is not the only test for stability but it is one measure of stability.
That’s not why I referenced it though. I referenced it because the OP equated it to handling/stability. Either way the OP is pretty much looking for a unicorn as he also wants something light and fast(but not quick)for hill climbs?
Please try to keep up though

Last edited by downhillmaster; 05-20-22 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-20-22, 05:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
OP, did you put wider tires on your bike? It's definitely worthy of consideration if you have the clearance.
Likes For datlas:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.