Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 10-23-19, 08:48 AM
VictorYlap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've randomly stumbled across this pic. The frame is apparently the new Japan's national team secret weapon, but what about the bars? Haven't seen anything like this. Any ideas what can they be and if they're available to public?

Arghh, still not allowed to insert images.... here it is: imgur com/a/LHAGln8
Old 10-23-19, 09:18 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorYlap
I've randomly stumbled across this pic. The frame is apparently the new Japan's national team secret weapon, but what about the bars? Haven't seen anything like this. Any ideas what can they be and if they're available to public?

Purely from a stiffness and arm clearance point of view they seem the perfect solution for on the track....if you have the $$ to not care about needing to adjust stem lengths, widths and drops without replacing the whole thing
Old 10-29-19, 05:07 AM
Wargreymon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why I do not see low profile bike frame being used in sprint racing in recent years? Low profile is cool looking
Old 10-30-19, 12:11 AM
KrispyK

Bikes: Bianchi superpista and boardwalk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I'm having some issues on my trainer. I've started the Up! Up! Up! program and was doing the PG calibration session and the resistance felt super easy. I mean I was hitting 170+ cadence in the 50-11 on max resistance. It kinda threw off the intent of the ergo session.

I have a 2014ish Elite wheel-on trainer. Previously I have used my track bike on trainer for TT training and the only issue I had was some wheel slipping. I added some grip tape to the roller which eliminated the slipping but the resistance was fine.. My only idea to why the resistance is so easy is that I switched from a Continental trainer tire to the Vittoria one.
Old 11-07-19, 08:28 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a question about Flying 200 windups:

I returned for my first sprint event last week after injuring myself in January. I noticed that many of the riders taking part were heading to the rail after the first half lap and staying there for the entire wind up, rather than corkscrewing up the track as I was taught by coaches ( and also how its shown on Up!Up!Up! Save energy ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling)

I thought that the corkscrew windup was supposedly the best way to get up to speed without wasting energy etc, but many of the fastest riders were doing the "straight to the top" approach and are much more experienced than I am.

Is there a reason why this is now more popular - is there a benefit compared to the Up!Up!Up! line?

( this was on the Lee Valley indoor 250m velodrome if that makes a difference)
Old 11-07-19, 11:48 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorYlap

Old 11-07-19, 05:17 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaben
I have a question about Flying 200 windups:

I returned for my first sprint event last week after injuring myself in January. I noticed that many of the riders taking part were heading to the rail after the first half lap and staying there for the entire wind up, rather than corkscrewing up the track as I was taught by coaches ( and also how its shown on Up!Up!Up! Save energy ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling)

I thought that the corkscrew windup was supposedly the best way to get up to speed without wasting energy etc, but many of the fastest riders were doing the "straight to the top" approach and are much more experienced than I am.

Is there a reason why this is now more popular - is there a benefit compared to the Up!Up!Up! line?

( this was on the Lee Valley indoor 250m velodrome if that makes a difference)
The trend at the top level now is to have your holder basically push you up to the rail and give you a gargantuan push to get you going. You can see all kinds of photos of this on Instagram, the coaches seem to be having a contest who can give the most outrageous running push. I'm not getting that in my races, so I still do the corkscrew.
Old 11-08-19, 02:45 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
The trend at the top level now is to have your holder basically push you up to the rail and give you a gargantuan push to get you going. You can see all kinds of photos of this on Instagram, the coaches seem to be having a contest who can give the most outrageous running push. I'm not getting that in my races, so I still do the corkscrew.

Thats definitely an interesting take on it. I wish I had a pusher like that! None of these riders had a push though - we all left from the inner rail under our own steam, no pusher available.

It just seems to me that to get up to speed to comfortably / safely ride round the top of the track in the corners on a big gear you need to put a big initial effort in for that first half lap. Corkscrew seems more efficient but the fast boys all went to the top straight away......maybe they just have enough fitness/energy to waste haha
Old 11-08-19, 03:08 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Double post
Old 11-09-19, 07:27 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Quick questions. I'm a bit anxious about not being able to buy a wheel.

Flat disc (Zipp 900 series) okay? It's old, 8 or 10 years old. Track side looks unused. I'd have to source a track conversion kit. Figure $400 wheel, $200 kit. Focus on 500m and sprint/mass start stuff. I'm no time trialer.

Or buy a new Corima for about $1000-1100? Lenticular, no conversion kit necessary.

For outdoor use I have two TriSpokes for front wheels. If things get serious I'd get a second disc, but for now my budget is basics - rear wheel, frame, SRM trade in?, and TT/drop bars.

Unfortunately my Surly fix kit only works on 105/Ult freehubs, not the DA freehub in my rear TriSpoke, else that would be a neat rear wheel.

I'm splitting hairs with wheels here but I have two goals - first, to have a bike that I'm used to by June 2020. Second, to not buy equipment all over again, so buying one wheel now and a different, "better" wheel next year.

I'm on the fence with the Dixie Flyer. I think the top tube will be high (58 size has a 52 c-t ST - it's a full 2 cm higher than a 50 cm c-t, and I was skimming the 50 TT as it was). Other than possibly falling off my bike because the track has a "downhill side" (put left foot down, hit TT, etc), the bike should fit well. 12.5 HT (should be effectively shorter than my 12 cm due to raised BB), 58/74 TT (about 1 cm longer than my 56.5/75.5). Seems to be a good frame all around, within my price range, and the guy there Bobby seems just as enthusiastic about stuff as I am.
Old 11-09-19, 07:55 AM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Quick questions. I'm a bit anxious about not being able to buy a wheel.

Flat disc (Zipp 900 series) okay? It's old, 8 or 10 years old. Track side looks unused. I'd have to source a track conversion kit. Figure $400 wheel, $200 kit. Focus on 500m and sprint/mass start stuff. I'm no time trialer.

Or buy a new Corima for about $1000-1100? Lenticular, no conversion kit necessary.
Spend the extra beans and get the Corima. The 900 track conversion axle is near unobtainium and anyhow the hub axle on these is not very robust in my experience. I finally got rid of mine but was replacing bearings often, and had a set blow up on me during a race two years ago. Go with the dedicated track wheel.
Old 11-09-19, 01:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Spend the extra beans and get the Corima. The 900 track conversion axle is near unobtainium and anyhow the hub axle on these is not very robust in my experience. I finally got rid of mine but was replacing bearings often, and had a set blow up on me during a race two years ago. Go with the dedicated track wheel.
Thx for tip, makes sense.
Old 11-09-19, 03:58 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
As BP said, the conversion kit for old Zipp discs is incredibly difficult to find. If you want to go old Zipp 900 route, I'd suggest sourcing the conversion kit first, then find the wheel. Or, you can look at an older Zipp or Mavic track disc. Lots of people still run those. Just make sure they aren't dinged. I've been told that the aerodynamic differences between the best and worst rear discs isn't that big.
Old 11-11-19, 02:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
It's impossible to find.

I committed to buying a 900 disc from a VP at SRAM/Zipp (he posted to slowtwitch) on the condition that he find me a track axle. I paypal'd him the money and everything. He was like, "Sure. I'll pick one up at work tomorrow..." He couldn't find one.

If he can't find one, no one can.

I also contacted Rich at Wheelbuilder.com who has some really hard to find stuff (LOOK 496 seatposts and stems), but no 900 track axle.
Old 11-11-19, 08:09 PM
rustymongrel

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I can make 900 track axles. I have an original one on my disc to work off of and a machine shop in my garage. I'm supposed to do one for a friend soon... making more than one at a time is certainly more efficient time wise if anyone is interested.
Likes For rustymongrel:
Old 11-11-19, 09:14 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by rustymongrel
I can make 900 track axles. I have an original one on my disc to work off of and a machine shop in my garage. I'm supposed to do one for a friend soon... making more than one at a time is certainly more efficient time wise if anyone is interested.
I'm thinking you could probably make a dozen and sell them all at some good coin, to happy buyers.

That wheel sold pretty quickly so I'm in a holding pattern again.

My main purchases will be frame, bar (drop and TT), stem to fit bar(s), rear wheel. I think I'll do an SRM upgrade (I have a third wired SRM that is currently unused). Then get/build a rear training wheel for the trainer and actual riding.
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 11-11-19, 10:17 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
If you can make the heat treated locknuts that always crack on them, I know a few guys looking.
Likes For MarkWW:
Old 11-11-19, 10:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Those are great discs that are easy to find for cheap. It's "old tech" that still fast.

Originally Posted by MarkWW
If you can make the heat treated locknuts that always crack on them, I know a few guys looking.
Yup.

Between the lack of inventory of track axles and the broken long locknut/spacers, the 900 has fallen out of use.

I know Zipp can't support every product indefinitely, but I wonder why they didn't keep these small parts on hand after the life of the product.

The fatal flaw of that locknut was that it was thin-walled and easily cracked when someone like me was gorilla-fisted with it. You can simply make it beefier. Who cares if it doesn't look great or be as light. It works.
Old 11-11-19, 10:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hell, while you are at it, make a front axle for the 900 as well. Those would sell like hotcakes.

Everyone in their right mind who owns a 900 disc in their right mind would buy one.
Old 11-12-19, 07:44 AM
Baby Puke

Flawed product in a couple of ways, lack of factory support makes it worse. Avoid if you can. I spent waaaaaayy too much time fettling mine. Corima/Mavic/Campy/FFWD, the new Walker Bros stuff probably all way less hassle.

Incidentally the Campy disc I have now is noticeably stuffer laterally than the 900 was.
Old 11-12-19, 09:07 AM
Morelock

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Also worth mentioning RENN makes a flat disc (like the 900) that isn't terribly expensive. Most folks don't realize they offer a track option as they primarily make Tri stuff.
Some of the best customer service out there as well.
Old 11-13-19, 06:56 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Morelock
Also worth mentioning RENN makes a flat disc (like the 900) that isn't terribly expensive. Most folks don't realize they offer a track option as they primarily make Tri stuff.
Some of the best customer service out there as well.
I asked them (him). No longer does track stuff, although the option is still in their drop down menu.
Old 11-13-19, 08:01 AM
Morelock

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I asked them (him). No longer does track stuff, although the option is still in their drop down menu.
ahh darn I guess they didn't sell (m)any. Too bad, always had good luck with Renn
Old 11-15-19, 05:57 PM
1kosmos1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great theme!
Old 11-17-19, 07:38 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
What do you all put for grip on your aero bars (handlebar tape, grip tape, hockey tape) and why?

I just purchased my first set of aero bars.

Last edited by AmahlAmahlAmahl; 11-18-19 at 10:26 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.