Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No gear markings on SRAM Eagle 12 speed shifter?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No gear markings on SRAM Eagle 12 speed shifter?

Old 06-22-22, 12:05 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Guys thanks for the feedback. I did not want to start a philosophical discussion here. All valid points brought up. I am going to use a simple approach and just use some paint or markers on my shifter. I really only want a visual gear indicator to make sure I am getting down to a good gear to start before I have to come to a stop. And there are plenty of them on my ride to work.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 06-22-22, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
No, he is not. It is everyone else who is over complicating this.

The OP wants a gear indicator. Some people like them. Pretty simple.

And rather than giving him useful suggestions, everyone is instead telling him he should not be wanting one.
I love the people who keep saying you should be able to feel what gear you're in. Have they never encountered a headwind?
Old 06-22-22, 12:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Guys thanks for the feedback. I did not want to start a philosophical discussion here.
Too late!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-22-22, 12:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I love the people who keep saying you should be able to feel what gear you're in. Have they never encountered a headwind?
Well, "What gear you're in" may mean simply how hard that gear is in the context of the gradient and the direction and speed of the wind. I rarely know without looking which cog I'm in, and sometimes I don't even know which chainring - sometimes I'm surprised to find myself trying to sprint in the small ring or climb in the big. Of course, this only happens on the bikes with 10 or 11 speeds in back.

I don't have a preferred gear for any particular situation. As I'm slowing down to a stop, I change gears so I'm in a gear that feels like what I'll need to start. Back when I was trying to get my kids into cycling, they had Grip Shift with numbers, and they'd ask me what number they should be in, which was impossible to answer, of course, since I wasn't riding their bike.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-22-22, 01:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
A thought - maybe we need gear indicators that work like CX bar-top levers when not in use. Say at the inboard end of our handlebar tape. Have a band that clamps round the HB with two cable housing stops. In between, an indicator clamped on to the cable corresponding to the gear. Done right, it could be small, barely noticeable, near friction free, simple and reliable.

I won't invent this. I'm still riding those easy to see DTs but those who feel the need should don their thinking caps.

Edit: I too was one who thought (and almost commented) "why no just look down?". Glad I didn't. (Now, a mirror could be set up in the right place to make that look easier, but I wouldn't. But I might scrounge the closet for that magic cap.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-22-22 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-22-22, 01:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
This is bike forums. When somebody asks "how do I do this?" the standard answer is "you're wrong for wanting or needing to".
Old 06-22-22, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This is bike forums. When somebody asks "how do I do this?" the standard answer is "you're wrong for wanting or needing to".

I propose Lycrasplaining as the term for "real cyclists don't..." type of correction.

How about Schwinnsplaining for the reverse snob "it's all market hype for suckers" kind of correction?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-22-22, 02:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Guys thanks for the feedback. I did not want to start a philosophical discussion here. All valid points brought up. I am going to use a simple approach and just use some paint or markers on my shifter. I really only want a visual gear indicator to make sure I am getting down to a good gear to start before I have to come to a stop. And there are plenty of them on my ride to work.

Enjoy! Now's the part of the thread where we goof on the people who went after you.
Old 06-22-22, 02:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Lower the blast shield as use the force.
Old 06-22-22, 03:28 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Enjoy! Now's the part of the thread where we goof on the people who went after you.
I'll get the popcorn.
Old 06-22-22, 04:15 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
It is not just 1-2 cogs. Going from start to 15 mph I guess I am going through 5-6 or more gears. Same the other way. Since I ride a recumbent it makes a big difference if I am starting on 2nd or 4th cog since I cannot use my body weight by standing up. Therefore it is important for me to know if I need to downshift 8, 5 or just 2 gears. Plus being on a recumbent I am constantly shifting up and down to get a similar spinning frequency in every gear. So I really don't know know what gear I am currently in without looking at my shifter. I may get used to it but for now I will mark my shifter. At least for the lower gears. It is my first bike in over 40 years which does not have gear shifters with markings on it.

This is obviously the sort of issue that demands managers be talked to.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-22-22, 11:45 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
it is most likely that SRAM believes that real cyclists don't need them and they want to differentiate their high end products from those SRAM grip shift type products sold on low end bikes.

That is most likely why SRAM leaves off a seemingly innocuous feature that few cyclists will use. It is almost SRAM's way of saying, "We know you are going to take abuse by just using these, so we are going to try to make them look more "pro" and keep them blank.

Wow. Out of thin air, you've somehow identified Sram's "most likely" reasoning, and presented it as though they actually thought it and said it. You have amazing powers of conjecture.
Old 06-23-22, 03:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Wow. Out of thin air, you've somehow identified Sram's "most likely" reasoning, and presented it as though they actually thought it and said it. You have amazing powers of conjecture.
I think he basically got it right.

They chose not to include something that some people might want that would pose zero downside and (for all practical purposes) no extra expense.

Really, the only explanation that makes a lick of sense to me is that they thought the cool kids would make fun of them.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-23-22, 07:51 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
If you're at a standstill, it is literally impossible to know by feel what gear you are in.
If you are at a standstill...you aren't shifting gears.
Old 06-23-22, 08:00 AM
prj71

How do you know you're in a good gear combination if you can't match that feeling in your legs and lungs with changes in your speed?
How could you not know unless your legs and lungs are numb? If I want a lower gear, I shift down. If I want a higher gear, I shift up. If I can't shift either direction, then I know I'm in my lowest or highest gear. I don't need a visual indicator to explain the obvious to me.

When I'm on a MTB trail there is no time to check the chosen gear (risk of crashing) and it is mostly irrelevant to have the gear displayed. There is only one chainring so just shift the gears for the given riding conditions...by feeling

When I'm on a road bike there is no time to check gears either cruising along at 18-22 mph. Again...it's easy to feel if you are in the right gear.
Old 06-23-22, 08:01 AM
prj71

...everyone is instead telling him he should not be wanting one.
That would be a correct statement.
Old 06-23-22, 08:04 AM
prj71

Have they never encountered a headwind?
Numerous times. 20 mph headwinds on my 51 mile ride this past Tuesday. Guess what...It felt hard to pedal...So I switched to an easier gear so I wouldn't blow up my legs and lungs for the remaining 25 miles home into the wind.. Pretty darn simple.
Old 06-23-22, 08:13 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
But then there is Di2. If someone is so inclined to go to Shimano’s electronic shifting system, you can add a digital display that prominently shows the gear.

I know Di2 is UCI compliant, although the digital display may not be, but it is somewhat ironic.

But there is some sense to it. The mechanical gear indicators are a bit funky, especially the inline ones. But with electronics it is not an issue; even if it is merely an unneeded convenience for some.

Maybe someday we can remove our feelings from the sport and just ride.

John
Old 06-23-22, 08:14 AM
prj71

Apparently this was covered here 7 years ago. The overall consensus back then (like now) is by feel.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...-shifters.html
Old 06-23-22, 08:26 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
If I’m unclear for some reason, I can just glance at my cassette.
NOT a safe thing to do.

By the time you put your eyes back to the road, your front wheel is about to roll into a giant pothole or there's big truck stopped right in front of you and it's too late to evade.

You don't really need to know what gear you're on if your drivetrain is shifting through the whole range including cross-chaining without any problems. Especially on 1x. Shift as you need. Downshift at least two gears when coming to a stop but that will depend on the gapping of your cogs and the size of your cassette. On a tight range cassette, you'll have to downshift a lot more.
Old 06-23-22, 08:44 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The mechanical gear indicators are a bit funky, especially the inline ones.
For gripshift, nothing could be simpler. Its just paint.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-23-22, 08:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by prj71
Apparently this was covered here 7 years ago. The overall consensus back then (like now) is by feel.

Consensus is utterly irrelevant, here.
Old 06-23-22, 09:12 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
For gripshift, nothing could be simpler. Its just paint.
Agree.

John
Old 06-23-22, 09:20 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
NOT a safe thing to do.

By the time you put your eyes back to the road, your front wheel is about to roll into a giant pothole or there's big truck stopped right in front of you and it's too late to evade.

You don't really need to know what gear you're on if your drivetrain is shifting through the whole range including cross-chaining without any problems. Especially on 1x. Shift as you need. Downshift at least two gears when coming to a stop but that will depend on the gapping of your cogs and the size of your cassette. On a tight range cassette, you'll have to downshift a lot more.
You have got to be kidding. Your assumption is that the rider will not look in front of them and make sure the distance covered while looking down at their cassette, which takes about 1 second, isn't occupied by a giant pothole and/or big truck.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-23-22, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by prj71

Here's where you all go off the beam. I don't use them, but I don't think I or anyone else is qualified to tell someone who finds them useful that they shouldn't. Why should any individual rider care about the consensus of people who aren't on the bike with him?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.