Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When should tires be replaced?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When should tires be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 05:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
For a few months, you say? Yes, either get new tires beforehand and bring them along as spares, or install the new ones and bring the old ones as spares. You don't want to gamble on the availability of replacements in Mexico if you need one on short notice.
Again, no "Like" button, but this is the smartest advice .... as it is what I would have said.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-30-22, 06:40 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
I replaced my 21mm (measured) Specialized Turbo R tires while they were still good. They had tread left, good sidewalls, took a dismount/remount after a flat with no problem, and I had put several hundred more miles on them even though they were maybe 35 years old. Yes, I read about bulges and explosions, but the reason I replaced them was to go to 28mm Specialized Turbo Cotton tires.

As financially limited teenagers riding sew-ups, we rode them until the tread wore through in spots. Some desperate riders would attempt to lay on some more tread, by coating the center with Barge, an old fashioned product used for glueing shoe soles together. It actually worked, kind of.

I can almost hear the heads shaking...
Old 08-31-22, 12:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Vern1
Am planning to take my bike to Mexico this winter (am based in Toronto) and expect there will be a combo of road and trail but will prefer mostly trail riding.My tires look ok but should they be replaced at this point due to mileage?
yes
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-01-22, 08:44 AM
gulencocuk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
For me, it's when the wires are visible or after 6 years. I have three road bikes and I regularly ride 150km each week, each bike gets a similar amount of use
edit: when the threads are visible

Last edited by gulencocuk; 09-01-22 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 09:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by gulencocuk
For me, it's when the wires are visible or after 6 years. I have three road bikes and I regularly ride 150km each week, each bike gets a similar amount of use
There are wires in your tires?

Old 09-01-22, 09:34 AM
gulencocuk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
There are wires in your tires?
Sorry, I wanted to mean the fabric
Old 09-01-22, 09:52 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by gulencocuk
Sorry, I wanted to mean the fabric
thought you might have some of the limited run Firestone Steel 500 bicycle tires from the 70's lol
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-01-22, 10:57 AM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Thanks, good advice as well.When I went back and really checked my tires the rear was significantly more worn than the front and the centre nubs are worn right down so new tires will be ordered

Also thanks for the tire suggestions so now I have a lot of reading up to do. Donnellys look good.I am sure they are all good tires and will be hard to go wrong with any of them. I do want a good rolling tire as most of my riding is pavement or hardpack. Don't need mud capabilities as don't hit the trails in the rain here and Mexico will be bone dry. Will take my spare front tire as well if I go with the Ramblers, prob doesn't make sense if I go with another brand

Cheers
If you haven't decided on replacements yet take a look at Continental Top Contacts (not the winter ones). Have a set of 28mm on my road bike and have been pleasantly surprised at how smooth they roll, plus they have great flat protection which is vital to me as I am in goathead sticker central. They make them from 28mm to 47mm.
Likes For Rotten:
Old 09-04-22, 05:05 PM
Vern1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. Had no idea that there were so so many tire options available, mind boggling!

Think i have narrowed it down to

1. Vittoria Terreno Dry
2. Panaracer Gravel King SK
3. Schwalbe G One RS
Old 09-04-22, 09:35 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Thanks. Had no idea that there were so so many tire options available, mind boggling!

1. Vittoria Terreno Dry
3. Schwalbe G One RS
I love my Schwalbe G One RS when I am trying to keep up with the kids but don't think they are in the same class as the Vittori or Panaracer?
Old 09-05-22, 06:54 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I love my Schwalbe G One RS when I am trying to keep up with the kids but don't think they are in the same class as the Vittori or Panaracer?
What do you mean by same class? All 3 seem to be fast running gravel tires with decent traction for off road (not for wet muddy conditions)
The RS are quite a bit more expensive as well
Thanks
Old 09-05-22, 07:24 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I help my son-in-laws with keeping their CX bikes together and they have just gone to the RS and rave about the wet handling. I put them (35c) on my gravel bike and as I said think they are faster than the Gravel Kings I had on but far from an expert. I probably should not have commented on the Terreno but having the word Dry in the name would turn me off as even in Southern Arizona we have plenty of mud.
Old 09-05-22, 07:47 AM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I help my son-in-laws with keeping their CX bikes together and they have just gone to the RS and rave about the wet handling. I put them (35c) on my gravel bike and as I said think they are faster than the Gravel Kings I had on but far from an expert. I probably should not have commented on the Terreno but having the word Dry in the name would turn me off as even in Southern Arizona we have plenty of mud.
Ah ok you are saying the RS are a class above the others. I am more concerned with speed and dry traction as I usually don't go out here in Toronto when it's raining and it will be bone dry for my 3 months in Mexico
The Terrenos actually got very good reviews for traction in the wet as well. Most saying the Dry in the name was misplaced
Thanks
Old 09-06-22, 03:42 PM
Vern1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1. Vittoria Terreno Dry
3. Schwalbe G One RS
Just going to close this out as I have ordered the Vittorias

It really came down to the Vittorias and the Gravel King which were available for about Cdn$40. The RS was $125!!! I did not look at price when I was narrowing the list and frankly pricing and availability seems to be all over the place (Amazon asking C$90 for the V's). The RS may be a (slightly) better tire but that price seemed a little nuts and doubtful I would ever feel the difference in performance.

Both the V and the GK seem very similar so doubt I could have gone wrong with either choice. Will change them up this fall and be ready for my 3 month trip down south!

Cheers