Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Free ‘73 Cinelli Speciale Corsa

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Free ‘73 Cinelli Speciale Corsa

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 08:42 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
NOOOOOOOO!

That water bottle cage is an early style, period correct (maybe even purchased at the same time as the bike, so it could be "original" to it?) Hi-E cage, and what looks to be an original clamp. Lightweight (about 30g w/o clamp), and that clamp is the specified way they secure to the frame, as in there wasn't some other kind of fancy way to secure them.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...a-67f6bb1e45d5
https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=6016
https://www.flickr.com/photos/speedp...als/5431859723

This is very interesting to me as I also have an early 1970s Cinelli that does not have any drillings for water bottle cages and I thought maybe the frame was custom.

When did CInelli start drilling water bottle bosses into their frames?

Gorgeous bike, I wish mine looked as nice

Is the stem period correct or is it perhaps a newer addition?
Old 10-31-22, 09:02 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I ordered the two pairs of hoods. I'm deciding between red cotton tape or maroon/burgundy. Or maybe red with a couple coats of amber shellac for something between the two. The bottle cage is a bit loose where the tubing attaches to the body so we'll see how long it lasts. As far as I know, the stem is original, says Cinelli on the top. The bike also came with an extra 3T stem of the same period.

Pulled the bottom bracket apart today to clean and grease things. It spun so smoothly before that; I doubt I needed to open it up. The fixed cup wasn't budging, so I left it in during the overhaul. The cranks spin just as well as before. I degunked the chainrings, crank arms, and front and rear derailleurs, and finally the freewheel. Threw on a chain I had laying around and got the derailleurs shifting again. The old brittle tubulars are off. The rims will need to be cleaned and the wheels trued before new tires can go on. The headset still needs an overhaul but that's tomorrow work. The pedals could probably also use overhauls, and the brake calipers still need to be cleaned. I guess its time to order some brake housing as well.
Old 10-31-22, 10:25 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts
What a gorgeous bicycle and an incredibly generous gift. I think you're doing a great job with it so far.

EDIT: does this one qualify as the 'you suck' of the year?
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 11-01-22, 08:25 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
I ordered the two pairs of hoods. I'm deciding between red cotton tape or maroon/burgundy. Or maybe red with a couple coats of amber shellac for something between the two. The bottle cage is a bit loose where the tubing attaches to the body so we'll see how long it lasts. As far as I know, the stem is original, says Cinelli on the top. The bike also came with an extra 3T stem of the same period.

Pulled the bottom bracket apart today to clean and grease things. It spun so smoothly before that; I doubt I needed to open it up. The fixed cup wasn't budging, so I left it in during the overhaul. The cranks spin just as well as before. I degunked the chainrings, crank arms, and front and rear derailleurs, and finally the freewheel. Threw on a chain I had laying around and got the derailleurs shifting again. The old brittle tubulars are off. The rims will need to be cleaned and the wheels trued before new tires can go on. The headset still needs an overhaul but that's tomorrow work. The pedals could probably also use overhauls, and the brake calipers still need to be cleaned. I guess its time to order some brake housing as well.
Pretty soon you'll be riding a piece of history...
Old 11-01-22, 08:58 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Front is serrated, rear is not.

Don't think I've ever seen a serrated tubi rim.
I have a Nisi tubular rim that is serrated. (But the decal is wing shaped). Makes sense that the front rim will have been replaced due to greater braking wear on the original front.

Last edited by cranky old road; 11-01-22 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-01-22, 09:10 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
As far as gearing , the 26 would probably be OK and 42 up front . The NR derailleur likes this set up and shifting is fantastic. I have since gone to a 41 chain ring on a 144 BCD NR/SR crank ( TA Specialties made them and they are out there) plus a 28 low on the FW. What I did was move the dropout screws all the way back as far as possible and it shifts great. The sacrifice is sometimes "big to big" is hard to get but rarely needed any way. I need the extra help on climbing now a days and every little bit helps! One year at Eroica Ca. I was talking to Wes about it and he claimed that a 30 will work if you remove the screws altogether, but I am not sure...never tried it. I would imagine you would need a few extra chain links , but I dunno. I am going to change the RD on my Motobecane to a 1st generation Cyclone GT(long cage) from a Campagnolo NR unit so I can run a nice touring FW and maybe a different crank but that would not be appropriate for this Cinelli .
Old 11-01-22, 09:55 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
I have a Nisi tubular rim that is serrated. (But the decal is wing shaped). Makes sense that the front rim will have been replaced due to greater braking wear on the original front.
Yeah, never been a tubi guy so don't really pay attention that much.

Was basically spitballin that it likely wasn't original, I think they are fairly obscure, rare, etc.
Old 11-01-22, 05:06 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Did some online shopping. On the way are some brake hoods, grey housing that's supposed to be a close match for the original without the absurd prices, and red newbaums.

I work at a bike shop, so I'll put an order in for some tubulars and tubular tape (I've glued tubulars before and have little interest in repeating that performance). The brake pads have plenty of meat left, I'll rough em up a little, and they should do just fine. Maybe I should've been more strict with my purchases so I could enter this in the next $100 clunker challenge
Likes For Rooney:
Old 11-02-22, 12:21 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Front is serrated, rear is not.

Don't think I've ever seen a serrated tubi rim.
Yes, that is odd and out of character.

I've seen vintage NOS tubular rims from time to time. I wonder if a pair of Fiamme Red or Gold Labels is available. If you get the proper rims, you could re-use the spokes.

ETA - I took a quick look and found a 36 hole Fiamme Red Label rim for $45. They also had a Gold Label (Ergal). That it is used means it will fit right in to the restoration. They also had a Gold Label (Ergal).

South Salem Cycleworks

Last edited by Bad Lag; 11-02-22 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 11-02-22, 01:16 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
I picked the bike up on Tuesday, and had a family matter to attend to this week, so I hadn’t done proper research since getting it. I did some reading today and saw that 6spd freewheels were only just being introduced around the time this bike came out, so I’ll leave it at 120 w/ a 5spd. As one poster mentioned, I do have a Trek 710 spread to 130 to fulfill more modern desires.

It came to me by way of a family friend of my girlfriend’s and I was clear about its worth. The owner is happy that it is being looked after and restored. It may be slightly small for me, but we’ll find out. We were actually also offered dinner when we went to pick it up, talk about a deal!

Serial number is 2199, which after checking online, seems to make it a ‘73. The Nuovo Record RD has a 72 Pat. as well, and the Strada crank arms have a 3 inside a diamond which I also found correspond to ‘73.

The front rim is certainly not original. There’s residue from the sticker that looks like an oval, so maybe a Weinmann or Rigida? All of the spokes also appear to be double butted. The rims also both seem to have a bit of wear so I’m wondering if new rims make sense, along with new tubulars. Im very open to recommendations as both are beyond my knowledge. I measured about 35-38mm of clearance between the chainstays, which has me thinking a 25mm tire would be a good bet.

I got some cleaning done on the frame this afternoon, then our friend came over to watch the Mexico GP. I’ll clean parts after work during the week. Gearing-wise, the 14-24 freewheel intimidates me. I’ll hold off on changing the freewheel or chainrings (there was a box of spare parts which included an extra 52t chainring as well as a 57t ring!) until the bike is up and running again tho. I plan to do red newbaums tape and white Campagnolo toe straps (but am again open to suggestions). The shield hoods seem more common on eBay but I’d definitely prefer to find some globe ones if I could. Seems like more hunting will be in order.

If that serial number corresponds to a 1973 build date, it is almost certainly a coincidence. Cinelli serial numbers seem to have been randomly assigned - if there was any rhyme or reason to the numbering system, the secret died with Cino. I have two mid-1960s SCs. One is serial number 14xx, the other is 85xx. If there are other known 1973 frames with a close serial number, that's a decent sign, but it is hardly conclusive.

The best way I have found to date a Cinelli frame is to consult the Velo Retro Cinelli timeline and compare your frame's attributes to it. For example, the timeline says that Cinelli started including braze-ons for bottle cages c.1974-75, which would support your 1973 estimate. Based on the history of the bike, the date codes on the components also support your estimate. I would trust those factors much for dating the frame than the serial number.

Fantastic score. I. for one, would not have minded if you spread the rear from 120 to 126. I had one of mine spread to 130 to fit a Campy 10sp triple drivetrain (and have never regretted it), and have kept the other one at 120 (it is Eroica compliant although not period-correct). Different strokes, and all that.
Old 11-03-22, 01:20 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 441 Posts
The serrated rim is likely an Ambrosio. They are wonderful for braking. As long as the rims have no dings, and no eyelets are pulling out, they are fine. The mismatch is 'patina' if anything is.

And IMHO, the tubular wheels are much more than fine; they are essential to the character of the bike, and not just for looks.

With removable valve cores, sealant, and double-sided rim tape, sew-ups are a breeze these days. And nothing else will 'ride' as original, IMO.

As for spreading the rear, I would not unless this proves to be your main ride, and you're sure you really want to. For lower gearing, consider a triplizer (a 42 inner ring with arms extending inward to form a 74 BCD for a third chainring).

'triplizer' w/28T chainring

What a wonderful bike! Absolutely gorgeous and in such fine shape!

Congratulations.

Last edited by Fredo76; 11-03-22 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-03-22, 06:28 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
Did some online shopping. On the way are some brake hoods, grey housing that's supposed to be a close match for the original without the absurd prices, and red newbaums.

I work at a bike shop, so I'll put an order in for some tubulars and tubular tape (I've glued tubulars before and have little interest in repeating that performance). The brake pads have plenty of meat left, I'll rough em up a little, and they should do just fine. Maybe I should've been more strict with my purchases so I could enter this in the next $100 clunker challenge
Beautiful bike, Care to tell us where you found the grey housing?
Old 11-03-22, 07:08 AM
Rooney 

Bike Recyclery. I saved a length of the original housing. I’ll post a comparison when the new stuff arrives.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 11-03-22, 08:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
Ditch the water bottle cage, it looks like somebody just improvised that one.
Originally Posted by hazetguy
NOOOOOOOO!

That water bottle cage is an early style, period correct (maybe even purchased at the same time as the bike, so it could be "original" to it?) Hi-E cage, and what looks to be an original clamp. Lightweight (about 30g w/o clamp), and that clamp is the specified way they secure to the frame, as in there wasn't some other kind of fancy way to secure them.
Agreed, that's a Hi-E cage. Not home free yet, though; Hi-E water bottles were not standard size/shape, and a standard bottle may not fit securely.
Old 11-03-22, 08:35 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 78 Posts
I would still dump the cage: it looks like it was made by a 4 year-old, it's held on with a hose clamp, and it apparently needs a piece of foam-something to protect the frame.The Italians were extremely conservative with their racing bike aesthetics, and this needs a proper Italian cage. If the bike had Hi-E hubs, everybody would be clamoring to switch to proper Campagnolo.
Likes For kroozer:
Old 11-04-22, 07:43 PM
Rooney 

Brake housing arrived today. Top bit (w/ exposed coil) is what came off the bike, lower is what I received. The white balance isn’t perfect. New stuff is more opaque and grey vs. the more translucent take off. Plenty close enough for me. Hope this helps anyone else curious.
Old 11-04-22, 07:52 PM
Rooney 

Originally Posted by kroozer
I would still dump the cage: it looks like it was made by a 4 year-old, it's held on with a hose clamp, and it apparently needs a piece of foam-something to protect the frame.The Italians were extremely conservative with their racing bike aesthetics, and this needs a proper Italian cage. If the bike had Hi-E hubs, everybody would be clamoring to switch to proper Campagnolo.
Any recommendations for a more proper cage? I'm not attached to the Hi-E cage; though, I'm not terribly bothered by its attachment method. It doesn't require whatever that "protective" piece was either.
Old 11-05-22, 12:19 AM
Andrew_G

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Two suggestions:

1) Cycles Grand Bois (in Japan) makes reproduction Campy brake cable sets. Not cheap, but supposedly fully reverse compatible:

https://cyclesgrandbois-com.translat...n&_x_tr_pto=sc

GB also has 'Italian" style housing (not a full cable set), which you can probably get here in the USA:

https://cyclesgrandbois-com.translat...n&_x_tr_pto=sc

2) Specialties TA makes a modern alloy bottle cage, which is copied after the older style steel ones:
https://specialites-ta.com/porte-bid...458006965.html

It depends on how badly you want to be 'period correct'. There may be steel TA bottle cages on eBay (eBay France?) as well as some european vintage shops:
a) https://www.renaissance-cycle.com
b) https://boutique.vintage-bike-shop.com/en/
Old 11-17-22, 05:43 PM
Rooney 

Haven’t had much reason to update this thread as I’ve been waiting on parts. Today, the hoods finally arrived from Italy! They feel very good and have the slightest bit of transparency to them.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to grab the bike from the storage unit until Saturday or Sunday. I’ll get the wheels cleaned up and trued, and set up the brakes and wrap the bars. Still need to order some tubulars too.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 11-17-22, 09:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Haven’t had much reason to update this thread as I’ve been waiting on parts. Today, the hoods finally arrived from Italy! They feel very good and have the slightest bit of transparency to them.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to grab the bike from the storage unit until Saturday or Sunday. I’ll get the wheels cleaned up and trued, and set up the brakes and wrap the bars. Still need to order some tubulars too.
those look good. I have had variable success with repro hoods.

leaving a Cinelli in a storage locker?!?
Old 11-28-22, 02:18 PM
Rooney 

A quick update: tires and toe straps finally arrived.

I installed the brake hoods (some wrestling required) then wrapped the bars, and installed the housing which will definitely benefit from some generous lubrication. The brake cables aren’t cut to final length yet.

I want to overhaul the hubs, true the wheels, then clean off the old adhesives. The Vittoria Corsa Controls are being stretched so final mounting will be easier. Once the wheels are done I’ll trim the brake cables to their finished length. I also need to cut the rear brake housing a teeny bit shorter to match the arc of the front housing.

Old 11-28-22, 02:37 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Lookin' good!
Old 11-28-22, 02:44 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 132 Posts
Agreed, looks really good, coming along nicely! You're going to love riding it.
Old 11-28-22, 02:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
@Rooney

I would encourage you to hit the saddle with oldschool black shoe polish and shoe shine. Put on sparingly and worked in a dab at a time will have it looking stellar.

And yes I know it can transfer but you wear black shorts, right?

After awhile it will burnish in and not transfer.
Old 11-29-22, 12:26 AM
Andrew_G

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
I similarly vote against spreading the rear end of the wonderful Cinelli SC frameset. To fit in a wider freewheel, you can use a thinner locknut on the left side, and add spacers to the right side. Then re-dish the rear wheel, if the nipples will still turn on the spokes. The original Campy Record rear hub locknuts are 8 mm thick, part number 33/8. Campy also made a thinner locknut for the Record rear hub. The 6mm thick locknut is part number 33/6. Distributor Euro Asia still shows both 8mm and 6mm locknuts available. Here's the 6mm Record rear hub locknut: https://www.euroasiaimports.com/prod...-966p21985.htm I'm doubt a 7 speed freewheel will fit within a 120mm rear end, but I believe that a narrow 6 freewheel will (while using a 6mm locknut on the left side). Or you could use an even thinner Campy Tipo locknut and add even more spacers to the right side. The Campy Pista rear hub locknut is also extra thin. I presume the threading of a pista rear hub is the same as a road hub:https://www.euroasiaimports.com/prod...-966p21987.htm You can find freewheels on eBay. I haven't checked for 5-6 speed lately. Some of the sellers don't know or care to state what the FW threading is (ISO, Italian or British). IRD is making new 5, 6 and 7 speed freewheels. My experience is that the IRD FW threading was originally ISO but later changed to English (British) thread. I'd check directly with IRD and confirm the FW theading. You can easily find English (British) thread rear hubs (and pairs) used or new on eBay, and then have a nice clincher wheelset built. I had to add a 1mm spacer under the IRD freewheel because the FW body wasn't deep enough to properly fit on a NR rear hub. Here's the IRD freewheel page: https://www.interlocracing.com/shop?search=freewheel The legacy Sachs (or Regina, if you can find them) freewheels are nicer than the IRD, in my opinion. BF members have commented in other threads about old style new manufacture clincher rims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.