Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I bought a small handlebar bag

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-22-21, 01:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

I have firmly been in the 'no handlebar bag' camp, even though they look neat on some bikes. A couple years ago i was also firmly in the 'no fanny pack' camp. This is mostly based on a totally irrational roadie perspective.
But I broke down and bought a 1.5l handlebar bag, ironcally enough, for RAGBRAI which is road riding.

I dont like large wedge bags that swing and sway, so that isnt an option for storage. And one of my jersey pockets always holds a zip pouch with my phone, card and ID, plus $.
I do RAGBRAI with a bunch of teens so there is always need for something random and a bit more storage is helpful. Broke down and bought an REI bag since it was available right away.

- for how popular handlebar bags are, its crazy that they seem to all be boutique/online brands.
- I have had a moosetracks feed bag for a couple years now(no idea why thats been acceptable to me, yes a small handlebar bag isnt) and moving forward this will probably replace the feed bag on my gravel bike.

The REI bag has mixed reviews, but it seems like most who gave it negative reviews dont understand how to attach at bag with velcro. If its terrible though, maybe Ill try one from roadrunner / orucase / leadout / etc.
Its a whole new world!
Old 07-22-21, 02:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,386 Times in 2,733 Posts
Jandd has a nice small handlebar bag that is not boutique/precious. I've used one for years and have another in reserve.https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBB-2nd-CO

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-22-21 at 03:02 PM. Reason: link
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-22-21, 03:46 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
This one is good!
https://banjobrothers.com/collection...bar-bag-medium
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-22-21, 04:07 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Not sure if there is a question here, or if you are looking for suggestions.

As for suggestions, I like smaller handlebar bags. I have a Road Runner Burrito on my main bike, and a few Speedsleev Diego Small across my other bikes. The Burrito feels nicer and has a better zipper pull, but the Diego is cheaper. All of my Diegos have replacement rope zipper pulls as the metal rattled and drove me crazy. Other than that, I have no complaints with either. I just use them to carry the phone, wallet, keys, maybe a snack, etc....
Old 07-22-21, 04:30 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Jandd has a nice small handlebar bag that is not boutique/precious. I've used one for years and have another in reserve.https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBB-2nd-CO

I have some really nice bags from Revelate, and funny enough, the humble 'lil Jandd is my "daily driver". I got mine on sale for $14. For my shorter rides, it holds just enough. My Revelate Egress pocket is a great standalone handlebar bag, but feels a bit big, like overkill for just a small multi-tool, tire lever, and my keys and phone. But it wins if I need to bring more than that--jacket, food, etc. My only issue with the little Jandd--not really a complaint 'cause it was $14--is that it doesn't have a way to attach it at the bottom--to the fork, headtube, whatever. So it does tend to bounce around on rough terrain. I intend to mod it somehow--add a strap or cord to it.
Likes For pbass:
Old 07-22-21, 05:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by katsup
Not sure if there is a question here, or if you are looking for suggestions.
Ha, yeah the post was some rambling with no real point.
I forgot about speedsleev as I saw that a couple months ago since I have their wedge bags on all my bikes.
​If this rei bag is a bust, I'll heavily look at a burrito or diego.
Old 07-22-21, 05:57 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont like large wedge bags that swing and sway, so that isnt an option for storage.
Same applies to bar bags. for me anyways.

And then for a super sturdy bag it becomes about the weight.

Have you tried fork mounted anything cages and dry bags?
Old 07-24-21, 09:41 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've never understood the resistance to bar bags, fanny packs, etc. If having the ability to carry things on a bicycle violates some fashion rule, so should a jersey pocket stuffed to its limits.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-24-21, 11:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I have a randonneuring front bag for my gravel bike because I sometimes use it for randonneuring on the road. I like it, don't have to worry about leaving something behind. I have my spare tire in there usually.

Maybe if I was doing a ride where the weather might swing a lot during the day, I would put a seat bag on with the spares/tools.

The thing I like best about it is having empty jersey pockets.
Old 07-28-21, 08:38 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I absolutely agree that feedbags are very handy. I have an Alpkit feedbag on each side of the stem behind the bars. On last week's bikepacking trip it held all my lunch food, trail mix on the left and bars on the right. I keep them (and the top tube bag) on my bike for commuting, as they so handy for keys, gloves, wallet, etc. My Olympus TG6 camera lives in the top tube bag.

Old 07-28-21, 05:58 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
FWIW

Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-29-21, 06:22 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Pretty nice for a small bag.
Old 07-29-21, 10:26 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I have the basic REI Coop handlebar bag on my gravel bike - it is fine. The zipper is probably not water proof, but I put anything that needs protection in a ziplock anyway. It holds a couple of tubes, co2 cannisters, levers and a multi-tool quite easily. For normal rides on smoother / less technical gravel, I carry my phone and gels in it with one tube / co2. For longer, tougher rides, I add a frame bag.

I know several people with nicer handlebar bags - I can see the appeal. But... a few of the ones I looked at were unavailable whereas the REI one was in store, and given the cost, if it wears out quickly I won't be overly depressed.
Old 07-29-21, 11:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
bought an REI bag & I have had a moosetracks feed bag for a couple years
when do you get it? if you've tried using it how do you like it? I like feed bags even tho I use a rear rack trunk. it's nice having an empty pocket right up front where I can chuck stuff as necessary, like sunglasses when I stop, but also other things, like actual food items
Old 07-29-21, 08:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
when do you get it? if you've tried using it how do you like it? I like feed bags even tho I use a rear rack trunk. it's nice having an empty pocket right up front where I can chuck stuff as necessary, like sunglasses when I stop, but also other things, like actual food items
I bought the bar bag in store last week. I'm on ragbrai now and it's been really good. I can access both zippers while riding, even with my out front garmin mount.
With that said, I would only use it for the road because it doesn't have a lower tether. The bag would probably bounce a lot on gravel.
Old 07-31-21, 03:55 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I run tubulars and my spare tire gets strapped under my saddle. I carry a 2oz bottle of Stan's, a multitool and Co2 and I don't like carrying all that in my jersey pockets. I had my ESS sand goggles from my army days and they have a soft case which works perfect as a small handlebar bag. My rain jacket can fit in there if I need it. To me it looks like it was made to be a handlebar bag.

I like how it forms against the bar and stem, that keeps it from flopping around.

https://www.copquest.com/ess-soft-go...se_78-1664.htm

Last edited by Lazyass; 07-31-21 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-11-22, 05:53 PM
noirwest

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It wasn't my intention but I found a way to violate both of your rules in one fell and cheap swoop. I blanched at the cost of a well made decently sized bar bag so have been stubbornly using a pack for ages. I was digging through the closet for a bigger pack for a longer ride when I discovered a really old, like 90's Mountainsmith waist pack. Remember those guys? They kind of reinvented waist packs and turned them into day hiking bags. Long story short, I now have a big old waist pack mounted to the front of the bike that holds just about everything I want to carry. The straps fold up behind it so it could serve double duty out in scenic country.
Old 01-11-22, 06:06 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
I used the under seat bags until just recently and found I prefer these speedsleev bar bags for the easier access
https://speedsleev.com/products/spee...-handlebar-bag
I have both the large and small size bags and use the one needed based on my trip and bike choice
Old 01-11-22, 06:38 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I have firmly been in the 'no handlebar bag' camp, even though they look neat on some bikes. A couple years ago i was also firmly in the 'no fanny pack' camp. This is mostly based on a totally irrational roadie perspective.
But I broke down and bought a 1.5l handlebar bag, ironcally enough, for RAGBRAI which is road riding.

I dont like large wedge bags that swing and sway, so that isnt an option for storage. And one of my jersey pockets always holds a zip pouch with my phone, card and ID, plus $.
I do RAGBRAI with a bunch of teens so there is always need for something random and a bit more storage is helpful. Broke down and bought an REI bag since it was available right away.

- for how popular handlebar bags are, its crazy that they seem to all be boutique/online brands.
- I have had a moosetracks feed bag for a couple years now(no idea why thats been acceptable to me, yes a small handlebar bag isnt) and moving forward this will probably replace the feed bag on my gravel bike.

The REI bag has mixed reviews, but it seems like most who gave it negative reviews dont understand how to attach at bag with velcro. If its terrible though, maybe Ill try one from roadrunner / orucase / leadout / etc.
Its a whole new world!
i won one years ago and never used until few weeks ago.
​​​​They rock, super useful but not very cool but as i age and needed storage it just works well.
Old 01-11-22, 08:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts

Have had one for 15+ yrs ? at least...
great little bag, fits just enough for those variable weather, all day rides. + phone, snacks, reading glasses (LOL!)
yes, no attachment points other than the two strap connectors for the bar. But well made and durable.
prolly can McGiver something, if you find it too floppy. I don;t find it an issue, cause the bar straps snug down enough for it to resist being floppy.
But then, I don;t really carry any heavy stuff...
does the job, haven't really had a need to get something else.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 01-11-22, 10:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Back in the early fall I ended up getting a Lead Out! mini handlebar bag for my gravel bike to mostly replace a feedbag I've had on the gravel bike for a few years.

I got it since it was 25% off so it was cheaper than the other 20 different yet identical options by other brands..
It's easy to open/close with 1 hand while riding and hasn't broken, so it fulfills my very low expectation level.
Old 01-11-22, 11:38 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
bought the topo designs (colorado) one about 3 years with the intentions of doing a century ride in/through/around the carrizo plain national monument nw of los angeles in late winter/early spring. that ride hasn’t happened yet altho a smaller version did. bag is large enough to fit a small water bottle, windbreaker/rain jacket, two inner tubes, 2-3 power bars, small pump and phone/keys/cards/wallet. area is in one of those zones where a skullcap, cap, arm warmers and neck gaiter may or may not be needed. could also use it in an all-day, mountains foray but haven’t deployed yet.

Old 01-12-22, 09:57 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I have been eyeing this bag from Alpkit. It seems to get positive reviews. I haven’t pulled the trigger though, so no firsthand knowledge.

https://us.alpkit.com/products/gravel-handlebar-bag
Old 01-12-22, 11:11 PM
darrellc

Bikes: Specialized Expedition, custom TI Cycles road, Trek Checkpoint, Salsa Timberjack

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Orucase

I have the orucase smuggler hc and I think it is great. Waterproof and the mounting (if u use the pads and get longer straps) leaves room between bag and bar for fingers.
Old 01-13-22, 09:15 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Jandd Bar Bag

Have the same bag. Fits nearly everything you would put in a larger wedge. I can just barely fit my better portable pump in there, but, it does fit. Fairly easy to move from bike to bike, and doesn't have hardware that will scratch the bars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.