Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Accessories

Old 12-21-21, 08:51 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Accessories

I bought a new '21 Salsa Warbird this past Saturday. Thinking of a few upgrades/additions that I want to do and would appreciate input from the experienced folks here.

A) Ritchey Comp Ergomax handlebars - tried a set on a Jamis Renegade and they felt great, so I have a set on order to try out.

B) I want a top tube bag that screws into the mounts on the top tube - suggestions? I plan to do some 50-100 mile dirt road rides going into this new year and want something quality that will hold up over time.

C) What's a recommendation for 700c carbon wheels in the $1,000-$1,250 range? I'll be riding dirt roads a *lot* and I'm a big guy - 230 lbs.

Thanks in advance - love the wisdom on this site!

Gary
Old 12-21-21, 09:57 PM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
B) https://www.jpaks.com/shop-1/top-tube-storage
email him direct. He has bolt on packs.
Likes For Gravel Rider:
Old 12-21-21, 10:20 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Reynolds ATR carbon gravel wheels are in your price range and they are one of the few that have an unlimited weight rating. I have about 5,000 miles on a set and still running like new, I weigh 220 lbs. and I am not very nice to them. They still roll like a fine set of road wheels.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 12-21-21, 10:21 PM
Gravel50

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Just ordered some Sturdy bike bags. One of which screws down in the top. These are some of the best bags I’ve ever purchased. Highly recommend.
Likes For Gravel50:
Old 12-22-21, 09:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Spinergy GXX wheels at $1.1k are probably worth a look at if a deep aero section is not a priority. Their big advantage is the smooth ride of the PBO spokes; I roll the aluminum GX version, and have been very happy with them with regards to performance, weight, and value. I’ve been at 245lbs since I’ve had these, which has only been since the past spring, so I cannot meaningfully comment on durability, but they feel responsive.

If you’re interested, give them a call before you order and ask if they have a sale upcoming; it’s frequently that these can be had for $999.

https://www.spinergy.com/products/gxx
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-22-21, 11:39 AM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
I use Revelate Designs top tube bags - they do a bolt on bag with a magnetic clip, thats really easy to open with 1 hand.
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde.../MagTankBoltOn
Likes For SquishyBiker:
Old 12-28-21, 03:56 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
A) I am currently on the handlebar search myself. I hope yours you ordered turn out well.

B) The Salsa proprietary bags I have tried I like, but I've read many people that don't. I would recommend checking out there bag HERE

C) I'm a clydesdale also, and when I buy I look for a good warranty. The BONTRAGER wheels and SANTA CRUZ Reserve carbon wheelsets both have lifetime replacement warranties.

Good luck with your search!
Old 12-30-21, 07:48 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by SquishyBiker
I use Revelate Designs top tube bags - they do a bolt on bag with a magnetic clip, thats really easy to open with 1 hand.
This right here is the answer. I had a set of Sturdy bags and sold them, they are nowhere near as good as Revelate unfortunately.

The mag closure is a game changer.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-30-21, 08:41 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I had a waterproof Revelate top tube bag and thought it was great until I spent a day riding in heavy rain with it. The bag is waterproof, but the zipper is not. It slowly let water in the bag through the zipper and it filled up like a soup bowl and none of that leaked out. I reached on for a tool late in the day and found out the darn thing had over half a cup of water sloshing around in it. Now switching to Apidura like my wife uses...
Old 01-01-22, 11:23 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
fixed/removable top tube bag

I hacked a relatively inexpensive Rockbros toptube bag to make it both screw on and easily removable. I also added a lightweight shoulder strap for carrying when off the bike. I typically carry my wallet, small first aid kit, maybe a covid mask and all the essential energy bars. The base is a Topeak bottle cage mount and I added a side release buckle to the steerer tube strap.
As I posted elsewhere I had GRX hydraulic CX levers installed on Spank Flare 25 handlebars.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Likes For Western Flyer:
Old 01-04-22, 09:43 PM
Cal398

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
I bought a new '21 Salsa Warbird this past Saturday. Thinking of a few upgrades/additions that I want to do and would appreciate input from the experienced folks here.

A) Ritchey Comp Ergomax handlebars - tried a set on a Jamis Renegade and they felt great, so I have a set on order to try out.

B) I want a top tube bag that screws into the mounts on the top tube - suggestions? I plan to do some 50-100 mile dirt road rides going into this new year and want something quality that will hold up over time.

C) What's a recommendation for 700c carbon wheels in the $1,000-$1,250 range? I'll be riding dirt roads a *lot* and I'm a big guy - 230 lbs.

Thanks in advance - love the wisdom on this site!

Gary
The Specialized Roval Terra are really great at $1,100. Esp. if you can convince the shop that you bought the bike from to give you a small discount for upgrading!