Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions needed to fix heal of cycling shoe

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-16-22, 10:38 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

After just under 40,000km my cycling shoes have developed holes where the back of my achilles tendon hits the shoe. I suspect I have some funny movement in my foot b/c my running shoes all wear out in pretty much the same location. As this is the only part that is wearing out on my shoes, I am look for suggestions on how to repair my shoes. I went to my tailor who is jack of all trades. She suggested just putting duct tape on there. Not a terrible idea, but I am worried that a) the rubbing of my foot - which has caused the hole in the first place - will just rub on the tape causing the tape to slide sideways leaving b) a gummy and gooey residue. Especially during the heat when combined with sweat.

Any suggestions? Here is what the problem is. Thank you.

Old 05-17-22, 03:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Don’t worry what it might do. Try it and see what it does do. Although I might try clear packing tape first.
Old 05-17-22, 03:36 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
A thin layer of Shoe Goo or a similar epoxy will seal the damage and help prevent further deterioration. That same thing happens to my shoes, occasionally. I used Shoe Goo for many things, it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Repair-Adhesi.../dp/B002L9AL84
Old 05-17-22, 04:27 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I had to convert km to miles, but IMHO you got pretty good life out of those. But if you are going to try to mitigate any more wear, I would use something that will wear easier than your socks to avoid potential blisters and such. Perhaps a cloth tape.

Old 05-17-22, 05:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
I don’t think there’s anything unusual about that type of wear… My MTB shoes are wearing in that manner after about the same mileage. I notice it when I look at them, but they still work just fine. One of my pairs of road shoes is far more worn in that area, but still works just fine.

So here is my question for you: is this causing you any actual problem?
Old 05-17-22, 06:53 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
My Shimano touring shoes have similar but more extensive damage. I used denim-type iron on patches to bridge the gaps. It has held up well for a couple years so far and is not noticable in feel.
I have also had to sew the tongues back together and used plastidip on the outside of the toes, but they still function fine after countless miles on (and off) the bike.

Old 05-17-22, 08:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I concur with the Shoo Goo suggestion above. But…just wondering if that’s your sock rubbing there, or your bare skin? If it’s bare skin, depending on how smooth/rough the Goo is applied…it might cause skin irritation. You might consider a sock that covers the area if it is bare.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-17-22, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
In the spirit of Red Green up in Possum Lake, Canada, the correct fix should be duct tape.

Not sure about that location though. Might make your heel slip. But I've used it inside the upper part of the toe box to keep my big toe from poking through.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-17-22 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-17-22, 09:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've used moleskin to fix similar problems before. Hadn't thought about duck tape!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-17-22, 09:58 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've used moleskin to fix similar problems before. Hadn't thought about duck tape!
I'm a big Duct tape guy, but not in this case.
too slippery - creates more 'movement' which is the opposite of what is preferred. and it will certainly 'crease' when you tried to bend into a curve.
moleskin would be my preferred repair - used same on a particularly favored pair of hiking boots.
But did have to replace every 15-20 hrs of hiking... moleskin adhesive is not intensed to be permanent.
maybe some other adhesive fabric with soft surface - cordura would be to rough/abrasive for me. Denim as someone suggested - worth a shot, as what 'feels' and works without creating irritation is likely a very personal thing.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-17-22, 11:51 AM
Koyote

I'd still like to know of this normal wear and tear has any practical effect on the shoe's functionality.
Old 05-17-22, 12:59 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'd still like to know of this normal wear and tear has any practical effect on the shoe's functionality.
It is not that the shoe doesn't function, but the worn area will abrade and prematurely wear holes in the back of the wearer's socks.... and I hate worn out socks!
Old 05-17-22, 02:27 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
It is not that the shoe doesn't function, but the worn area will abrade and prematurely wear holes in the back of the wearer's socks.... and I hate worn out socks!
Has that been your actual experience, or are you speculating? Because my socks are all just fine:

Old 05-17-22, 06:37 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
If'n you wanna HEAL the HEEL use the Goo not the DUCT tape

gm
Old 05-18-22, 05:04 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Leather seat repair kit?
Old 05-18-22, 08:41 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by seypat
Leather seat repair kit?
Uh, what? Link, please!
Old 05-18-22, 08:47 AM
seypat

Uh, what? Link, please!
Also found in auto parts stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Upholster...ir+Kit+Leather

Last edited by seypat; 05-18-22 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-18-22, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Looks like I need to stay up later at night to watch TV.

Does it also work on the fabric heel liner down lower in the shoe?
Old 05-18-22, 09:34 AM
seypat

Looks like I need to stay up later at night to watch TV.

Does it also work on the fabric heel liner down lower in the shoe?
I don't know. I haven't tried it there.
Old 05-18-22, 09:29 PM
NoWhammies

Great suggestions everyone. Thank you!

Leading _ForceD_ The rubbing is a sock. Not bare skin.

SalsaShark where did you get your iron on patches?

The shoe goo suggestion is a simple solution too. I'll have to see about picking some up.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-22, 09:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
I rub in plain white glue to saturate the foam and shape it a little before it dries. After drying I cover the area with smooth tape so its not rough on my socks. Thing is to catch it as soon as possible. After repairing you can also place an inverted heel cup to cover the rough edge of the shoe.

Old 05-18-22, 11:01 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
Does no one sew anymore? It's fabric, sew a piece in, or stretch what is remaining and sew it closed. Five minute job. If you want to get fancy, learn how to darn and darn it like you do socks.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-19-22, 12:01 AM
SalsaShark

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
SalsaShark where did you get your iron on patches?
Thanks!
I purchase my patches at a local JoAnn fabric store. I imagine if your local Wal Mart has a craft section, they would have a similar product, but any fabric or sewing shop should be able to accommodate.
I used an iron and hair drier to install. Now that I think about it, heating up a piece of iron pipe or something similar might have made installation a bit easier in an area not conducive to using a flat iron.
Old 05-20-22, 10:06 AM
NoWhammies

SalsaShark Thank you. I will check out Walmart. Although I am going to give the Shoe Goo a go first.

phughes I did try that option first. I went to my tailor - who is a master of all things fabric - and her suggestion was to use duct tape.

I think I am going to give the Shoe Goo a go first. Now here is my second question...

How does the Shoe Goo work? I have a bit of stuffing protruding from the whole on each side of my shoe. Do I just stuff that back in and then apply the Goo? Do I shave that foam off and then apply the Goo? Other?

Thank you.
Old 05-20-22, 01:55 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
SalsaShark Thank you. I will check out Walmart. Although I am going to give the Shoe Goo a go first.

phughes I did try that option first. I went to my tailor - who is a master of all things fabric - and her suggestion was to use duct tape.

I think I am going to give the Shoe Goo a go first. Now here is my second question...

How does the Shoe Goo work? I have a bit of stuffing protruding from the whole on each side of my shoe. Do I just stuff that back in and then apply the Goo? Do I shave that foam off and then apply the Goo? Other?

Thank you.
I wouldn't go to a tailor, I would do it myself in about five minutes. I once wanted a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers shoes, but I have two toes on both feet that are webbed. There is a local shoe repair shop I have used for years for new soles on boots, and other shoe repair, they are very good at what they do. I asked them to open the two toes and sew them up so I could use the Vibram Five Fingers. They agreed. About a week or so later they called and shirt they couldn't do it. They recommended buying a pair of water shoes. I took the Vibrams home and did them myself. It took me about and hour. That was probably 15 years ago and I still have them, and the modification held up. People don't generally want to do anything that is outside the norm for their business. The tailor generally hems pants, dresses, and takes in pants, or dresses, sews buttons on, that sort of thing. They are probably clueless when it comes to thinking outside their little world. I grew up with a mom that taught us to sew, because she grew up needing to in order to have clothes. I am thankful she taught me that skill. I'm not great at it, but I can make small repairs when I travel, or repair things like the shoe you have.

Duct tape would be a really poor way to repair them. I love Shoe Goo, and use it for repairing soles, but I wouldn't use it on that. Good luck whatever you try. If you can eek out more miles from the shoe whatever you do will be worth it.
Likes For phughes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.