Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Climbing Bike?

Old 01-30-22, 09:54 AM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Climbing Bike?

Hi, I have my eye on a climbing bike, Aethos. Does it make sense to buy one, worth the investment, that much of a difference on climbs? I live in a hilly area with plenty of climbs. Current riding a great endurance bike, Sworks Roubaix. No plans to race, just have fun and do personal best times. In short, trying to justify a second bike, a climbing bike. Welcome the feedback.
Old 01-30-22, 10:09 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
The best advice I can give as an ex racer that was also a bike store owner for over 12 years is: Try one out. If you are looking for something lighter, always put yourself into the equation. I'll never forget the time I was riding with a group and this guy with a 80 lb basketball (at least) size belly was saying how he had last years (heavier) carbon wheelset, and how he was going to spend $2,000 on this years wheels that were 140 grams lighter. So, I always concern my own weight over my bike's weight (first).
Likes For headwind15:
Old 01-30-22, 11:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
1 kg = 1 min up Alpe d'Huez. Very roughly. Probably not worth the investment, but might feel a bit more lively than your Roubaix.
Old 01-30-22, 11:48 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
One thing you never have to do here is to justify a second bike....or a third....or fourth....
Old 01-30-22, 12:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I would never have thought to think of the Aethos as a climbing bike. But if it's lighter than what you have to do those climbs with currently, then I suspect you'll like it for climbing and if the difference in the position it gives you over the Roubaix is okay for you, then it'll probably be your goto bike and the Roubaix will just sit in the corner.

Geometry wise the Aethos is more like the Tarmac. So it's more aggressive. Which is good if you like that, and I do since to me my Tarmac is the most fun bike I've ever had. However if you don't like the lower handlebar to saddle position that it will give you over the Roubaix, then you might be tempted to do things that look ridiculous to me in an effort to get your bars higher.

In the grand scheme of things, if you want a new bike and can easily afford it, then just buy what you want, even if it's just the color you like.
Old 01-30-22, 12:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by TTron
Hi, I have my eye on a climbing bike, Aethos. Does it make sense to buy one, worth the investment, that much of a difference on climbs? I live in a hilly area with plenty of climbs. Current riding a great endurance bike, Sworks Roubaix. No plans to race, just have fun and do personal best times. In short, trying to justify a second bike, a climbing bike. Welcome the feedback.
If you want to be a better climber, skip the new bike and use the money for coaching, or to buy some time off from work that you can spend training. But buying a light bike to replace your current light bike will not make you a better climber.

PS: a bike is not an investment. It is a consumption good.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-22, 12:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

I think it depends on an individual and how long they keep their bikes...Some people including myself like to keep their bikes for a very long time. Anybody who keeps their bike for 15 years or 25 years is a investment....Then we have conspicuous consumption which is basically a bunch of insecure hot heads who feel a need to spend $ 10 000 every two years on a new bike, because they think it will impress random strangers.
Old 01-30-22, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think it depends on an individual and how long they keep their bikes...Some people including myself like to keep their bikes for a very long time. Anybody who keeps their bike for 15 years or 25 years is a investment....Then we have conspicuous consumption which is basically a bunch of insecure hot heads who feel a need to spend $ 10 000 every two years on a new bike, because they think it will impress random strangers.
That just sounds like jealousy.

If $10,000 is chump change to someone, then why shouldn't they buy what they desire? Better that they keep the economy moving spending some money than hoarding it in their net worth.
Old 01-30-22, 12:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
What does one need for "climbing"?

Light
Stiff frame
Not super aero (although you will also do descents).
Whatever gearing you desire.

While the frames may vary by a few grams, a major portion of weight will be the group set and components.
Old 01-30-22, 12:53 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think it depends on an individual and how long they keep their bikes...
We are off-topic, but a bike is quite literally not an investment.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-22, 01:01 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I have always been pretty conscious of equipment weight. I do not race but love climbing. But then I saw a detailed study of the effect of bike weight on speed on "cyclingabout.com" and it cut me a lot of slack on bike weight in non-competitive riding.
Old 01-30-22, 01:22 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
The first time I rode a Specialized Roubaix it was an SL3. I remember being scared out of my wits on a very fast descent as it handled like a truck to me. Jumped on a Tarmac right after that and felt at ease. Body position and weight distribution make a difference. You should notice a difference not only on the climbs, but also in sprinting and cornering.
Now, if you are satisfied with the body position and handling of the current ride, just get a top of the line set of wheels to cut a few oz of rotating mass and save some money.
Old 01-30-22, 01:33 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Now, if you are satisfied with the body position and handling of the current ride, just get a top of the line set of wheels to cut a few oz of rotating mass and save some money.
OP has an S-Works Roubaix, which comes with a top-of-the-line wheelset.
Old 01-30-22, 01:45 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
What does one need for "climbing"?

Light
Stiff frame
Not super aero (although you will also do descents).
Whatever gearing you desire.

While the frames may vary by a few grams, a major portion of weight will be the group set and components.
Ya, what is a climbing bike?
Old 01-30-22, 03:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The first time I rode a Specialized Roubaix it was an SL3. I remember being scared out of my wits on a very fast descent as it handled like a truck to me. Jumped on a Tarmac right after that and felt at ease. Body position and weight distribution make a difference. You should notice a difference not only on the climbs, but also in sprinting and cornering.
AND put on some low rolling resistance tires inflated properly.

Old 01-30-22, 04:06 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
We are off-topic, but a bike is quite literally not an investment.
I get the gist of what you are saying.
However, health, fitness, QOL, less medical expenses, positive lifestyle and enjoyment, cycling friendships, sense of well being and accomplishments and more , cannot be tightly measured by $$$$ unless your spouse is an accountant or financial whiz.

If you want to get rid of the desire to buy a climbing bike, first buy an old rigid dumptruck of a MTB and slog that around in the hills for a few months.
That Tarmac will then seem to be a great climber.
Ask me how I know?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-30-22, 04:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
1 kg = 1 min up Alpe d'Huez. Very roughly. Probably not worth the investment, but might feel a bit more lively than your Roubaix.
really? I can do the zwift version in under an hour. So if I can manage to lose only 60 kg...I
Old 01-30-22, 04:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
If you want to be a better climber, skip the new bike and use the money for coaching, or to buy some time off from work that you can spend training. But buying a light bike to replace your current light bike will not make you a better climber.
Yeah, I had a coach for several years and he did more for my climbing than any bike would have. As a bonus, his connections got me such big discounts on bikes, wheels, etc. that the coaching was essentially free.
Old 01-30-22, 06:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
really? I can do the zwift version in under an hour. So if I can manage to lose only 60 kg...I
Unfortunately it's not a linear equation, lol. It's just a very rough calculation I made for my own use. Actually when I look now it's more like 45 sec per kg over a 12.2 km climb with 8.5% av gradient. 75 kg rider + 9 kg bike @ 250W.

So really it's not all about the bike.
Old 01-30-22, 08:03 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It comes down the whether I can justify a second bike. I love my Roubaix, which may be become part time IF the Aethos lives up to everything printed and YouTube’d.
I kinda wish I had kept my Tarmac SL6 but it beat me up and wore me out each ride. Could have made this my 2nd bike.
Old 01-30-22, 08:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
One thing you never have to do here is to justify a second bike....or a third....or fourth....
You very clearly are not a sock-puppet account for my wife.
Old 01-30-22, 08:45 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Why not just another rear wheel with better climbing gears on it? That’s what I do, same when just different gearing.
Old 01-30-22, 08:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
The climbing bikes I have looked at, eg Trek Emonda, are very lightweight, like two large full water-bottles lighter than what I have. Unfortunately, their gearing is so unforgiving I would fail and/or die trying to ride up my local 21% grade hill.

Shouldn't a climbing bike have lower gearing, not higher?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-30-22, 09:47 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
+1. If I'm riding it, it will be the worst climbing bike out there.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-30-22, 10:01 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Any bike I'm riding uphill.
Likes For Koyote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.