Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Bought by Middle East Oil Money

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Bought by Middle East Oil Money

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 11:01 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
IFrankly, I would rather see them do a model or two that gives a nod to gravel or all road capabilities.
I know they weren't known for that, but I would be very interested in a Colnago that could handle 700x50s.
Do they want to sell bikes or be a history lesson?
Check out the current Daccordi lineup. They have a few modern steel models in there, a couple of them definitely more comfort oriented (although I don't know the exact details).

Originally Posted by repechage
Near opening scene of Against All Odds- the 308 vs 911 on Sunset Blvd in LA. So, LA.
Who did not cringe when the Ferrari went into the pool in Ferris Bueller's Day off? (product splashment of a sort)
Haven't seen "Against All Odds," but just checked out the trailer and it looks good. Of course the "Cannonball Run" movies featured some great cars (and easy to look at actresses). The old Speed Channel also did a series a while back called "Victory By Design" featuring Alan De Cadinet driving some vintage cars at a good pace with some amazing audio quality. The episode on Alfa Romeo was outstanding.

Back in college I had a summer job one year as a valet at a country club. Got to "drive" a few nice cars and usually chat a bit with their owners. I was (and still am) a little judgmental, so if they were driving a Ferrari and didn't know who Michael Schumacher was (he was driving for Ferrari at the time), they got a look of disdain. Sad to say, that was almost every single one of them...

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I'm neither surprised nor saddened by the announcement. My respect for Colnago (both the man and the bicycle) started going downhill in the late 1970s and by the turn of the century, I considered Colnago the most over-rated of the high end Italian brands.. He shamelessly pursued free advertising by giving bicycles to high ranking religious figures, monarchs, head of state and celebrities. The flow of designs from his shop became prodigious and perplexing. It was like to throwing a handful of darts, hoping one would stick and become his next breakthrough. All the while, workmanship was getting worse...
Interesting take. Always nice to hear a counter point of view (not being sarcastic).

That said, celebrity endorsement isn't exactly scandalous.

Originally Posted by iab
God forbid marketing is used to keep a business in business.
See above. I don't think it's such a big deal, and it happens all the time. I think the watch world may be the prime example of this...

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I had been collecting bikes since the 1970's and had only had one red bike which happened to be my first Italian bike, a red Daccordi. The Daccordi was my daily ride for a number of years but then I traded it on a beautiful Pinarello in the late 1980's. I really missed the Daccordi, still do, and went without a red bike until I found a beautiful second hand, mid-eighties, red (re-paint) Colnago Superissimo frame in the late 1990's. On first seeing the frame I remembered Robert Millar's article as well as the many times I had drooled all over the Colnago's in my local bike shop. It wasn't my first Colnago but it was the one that was (up until then) the most satisfying purchase.

Now the news that Colnago company has been sold. I suppose I should have considered the prospect as Ernesto is getting on in years but it never crossed my mind. I suppose I thought Colnago, the man and the company would go on forever. How do I feel about this news? I really don't know? It's been about a week since I heard of the company's sale and I still can't mentally process this news. You see, for me Colnago more than just a bicycle brand, it's a feeling or state of being. It's a microcosm of all things Italian; brashness, flair, confidence, art and flavour with a splash of arrogance but with a background of real knowledge and experience.

Bicycle brands are always in a state of flux, they come and they go but as far as steel frames go, they can last forever. Colnago will always be there as long as the collective memory of those of us that care for the brand continues.
Also some interesting feedback, and it's always nice to hear personal bike background like this. I agree that red is a great color, and I have yet to own a red bike myself (stupidly missed out on a decent red Tommasini recently).

Which Daccordi model did you have? I know they didn't always put the model names on their bikes, but I'm dipping my toe into the brand so I'm curious...
Old 05-12-20, 04:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
When I passed through the LA metro area not long ago, I saw several nice cars like these mentioned. One was a relatively new BMW, that looked a lot like a Lamborghini in the next lane. I meant to look up that BMW, intriguing, to say the least. 🤔
Probably an i8. way before that was the M1.

The latest Ford GT gets noticed, most others, do not.
Old 05-12-20, 04:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Gumball Rally, 1976 - Ferrari Daytona Spyder vs. 427 AC Cobra

And of course the Jaguar gag - "Beautiful car. I wish it ran."
Always wanted to know the shunt the Cobra was involved in off camera near the end while driving through the LA river.
Best scene in the movie was the opening, NYC, you hear the Ferrari but do not see it, but you KNOW what is coming.

Best real life LA Ferrari audio/visual, riding my bike to work in Beverly Hills on Wilshire Blvd at the LA Country Club- I hear a V12, it is coming quick, also the noise of a V-8 with vacuum secondaries fully open, look back and sure enough, Daytona, with a co-worker glued to the rear bumper NASCAR style, driving a '73 Gran Safari wagon with a 455... When I got to work, he proudly advise, He is my Witness! Where else can you see that?
Old 05-12-20, 06:35 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Always wanted to know the shunt the Cobra was involved in off camera near the end while driving through the LA river.
Best scene in the movie was the opening, NYC, you hear the Ferrari but do not see it, but you KNOW what is coming.

Best real life LA Ferrari audio/visual, riding my bike to work in Beverly Hills on Wilshire Blvd at the LA Country Club- I hear a V12, it is coming quick, also the noise of a V-8 with vacuum secondaries fully open, look back and sure enough, Daytona, with a co-worker glued to the rear bumper NASCAR style, driving a '73 Gran Safari wagon with a 455... When I got to work, he proudly advise, He is my Witness! Where else can you see that?
I liked when both cars pulled out of the river and dragged. Quite realistic.
Old 05-13-20, 01:23 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo

Which Daccordi model did you have? I know they didn't always put the model names on their bikes, but I'm dipping my toe into the brand so I'm curious...
My Daccordi didn't have a model name on the frame but it was approximately built in 1978/9 and was made of Columbus SL tubing. It was built with a Nuovo Record groupset, Cinelli stem and bars with silver/white Benotto tape, Mavic GP4 rims and a Turbo (Bernard Hinault) saddle. I still do miss this bike and wish I didn't trade it on another bike. I often pour over the Daccordi offerings on ebay hoping to find a replacement.

I really liked the Daccordi and I commuted on it for about 4 years doing about 50km per day and a weekly 160km one-day commute. Before the Daccordi I commuted on a track bike. The Daccordi, with its higher gearing, did give me a much faster, more comfortable commute.

Good luck with your 'toe dipping'.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 05-13-20 at 02:17 AM.
Likes For Gary Fountain: