Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Lights do you Use?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What Lights do you Use?

Old 07-22-20, 08:36 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Did it look something like this? If so it is either a Bontrager Ion 100 R or a Bontrager Ion RT 200.

There is an optional Blendr mount that works with a standard GoPro mount.
This is the light I have, after recommendations from posters here. I have no complaints. Price was right, the light is light-weight, and does everything I need/want.

As others have stated, the light connects to my Garmin ANT+ network, although I prefer to turn the light on and off manually.
Old 07-22-20, 08:54 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
+1 for the Varia 510 or 515
Old 07-22-20, 12:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I've got a Blackburn USB-rechargeable tail light. Nice and bright, but it's not good for more than about 2 1/2 hours. I don't want anything larger, or brighter. I just want the same thing, but lasting 5 hr/charge.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-22-20, 08:14 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I don't use anything fancy, there's no need. I have a no longer made Phillips Saferide 80 front light that I use as my main light at night; on my helmet I put on a Lezyne Hecto Drive 400 XL which is on strobe mode; on the rear is a NiteRider Omega 300 on the seat bag that stays on steady mode, but on the helmet is a NR Sentra Aero 260 on alternating strobe mode. During the day though I put the Hecto Drive 400 on the bar and use it on the strobe mode, and I use the Omega 300 on the seat bag on strobe mode.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 07-23-20, 08:09 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I don't use anything fancy, there's no need. I have a no longer made Phillips Saferide 80 front light that I use as my main light at night;
I used to have a Phillips Saferide 80 light. Lost it somewhere along the way. Best light I've ever owned as far as putting usable light on the road. It really showed that beam pattern is at least as important as the light intensity. Most of the existing headlights are pretty worthless once you aim them to not blind other road users. I really wish someone would come up with a bike-sized Li-ion powered LED projector light with a sharp beam cutoff. But that would cost real money to develop, it's much easier to slap a high powered LED in a cheap parabolic reflector and call it a day. /rant
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-26-20, 07:08 PM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
This is the light I have, after recommendations from posters here. I have no complaints. Price was right, the light is light-weight, and does everything I need/want.

As others have stated, the light connects to my Garmin ANT+ network, although I prefer to turn the light on and off manually.
Yeah, the Ion/Flare RT kit is a really nice set, they're compact, easy to use, bright as 'be seen' lights, and the battery life is good for their size. If you don't connect them to your computer, I recommend turning off the BTLE to save battery. Also, I learned it's possible to override the light sensor / automatic brightness setting on both the Ion and Flare RT.

That said, I use a brighter light on the front to see (the Ion is used for 'being seen'), and I also use another light (in addition to the Flare RT) on the back for redundancy because you can't tell when your rear light dies for whatever reason, which is super dangerous at night.
Old 07-26-20, 07:25 PM
TSawyerLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This isn’t the light I was talking about, but it seems like a nice one. My light has came off twice while riding. The light I asked about is square and there is a box/skeleton/quart that the light snaps into.
Old 07-26-20, 08:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts
Cygolites are great products. So far on this thread, people have talked about the Hotshots. I like the Hotrods. One on each seat stay gives me high visibility. They hold a charge for a long time and they are very bright.
Old 07-27-20, 09:02 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooderson
I recommend turning off the BTLE to save battery. .
Oh, good tip. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Cheers,
Old 07-27-20, 11:22 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
For daytime riding, I use a Cygolite Dice (front) and Hotshot (rear), both blinking.

At night, Cygolite Expilion 850 (usually on a medium setting) and Hotshot on solid, along with a cheapo red blinky usually clipped to a back jersey pocket.