Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Unsure if autism will be an issue.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Unsure if autism will be an issue.

Old 09-22-20, 06:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by LilyHeeler
Hi! I might also try looking for a bike online, and then going to a local store to have them help me assemble it - I've heard that's an option right now with the stores being so picked-over. I like your last sentence, and you're absolutely right. I will have to keep that in mind. Thank you for offering advice and your perspective (:

Unfortunately, the pickings online are also pretty slim. If you can find something, do you have any idea of what kind of bike you'd like to ride? People on this forum are often good at ferreting them out if we have some idea of what you're looking for.
Old 09-22-20, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Hi everyone

Fair warning - this will be long and pedantic. I want to make sure I thoroughly explain my situation so I can see what everyone has to say.

I’m a 19 yr old college student who’s interested in cycling. There are several factors in my life that are causing concern for me.

Right off the bat, I have Aspergers (the diagnosis is now “autism” or “high functioning autism”, but people seem to be able to understand my capabilities and limitations better if I use the term Aspergers) I’m unsure if this would cause any problems?

I am semi-autonomous. For the moment, I live with my parents, and my mom is still very active in helping me manage certain aspects of my life such as doctor appointments or grocery shopping. I can do the majority of daily tasks without assistance. I also have worked summers and effectively completed short paying jobs like dog sitting before. Right now I’m not working in order to focus on school.

I can drive a car on familiar routes (although I don’t prefer to) and can handle some city driving if I absolutely have to. I understand the rules of the road, sometimes I need them explained in a different way, but I can still grasp them eventually and with sufficient practice (all supervised and in a controlled environment, Ex, an empty parking lot.) problem is, these rules are not followed to the dot. Speed limit and blinkers and everything in between. I can follow the rules very well, but it throws me off when others do not because I don’t know what to do in that situation.

Along with Aspergers*, I have a lot of anxiety over how I appear to other people. I’ve had extensive therapy (everything from OT to swimming to behavioral therapy and back) since I was young, so I’m quite good at looking and being regular. Still, I’m anxious about going into a bike store, talking to the employees, getting a bike fitted, etc. I’m anxious about riding on the road itself where other people will be driving by because I don’t want to be.... harassed for not appearing like a typical cyclist. My posture is a bit abnormal and my motor skills are a bit twitchy. I’ve been made fun of in the past for almost all aspects of my being, and I’d really prefer not to invest time into learning a new skill if it only leads to me learning nothing except that people suck, because I already know that.

I understand that with learning any new skill, there will be a bit of anxiety, and I accept that. I’ve worked a lot on techniques to alleviate anxiety and still participate in activities that I enjoy despite feeling nervous. But for this? It’s something completely new and while I’d be excited to learn, the anxiety outweighs the excitement. I’m afraid I will be mocked for even trying to learn.

TLR I have Aspergers and anxiety that I expect will interfere with me integrating into the world of cycling.

Should I even attempt buying a bike? Would it be safe for someone like me? Are there any strategies to combat anxiety over going into a bike store as a complete beginner? Should I try to find someone who I can ride with?

I am unsure how to proceed. For those of you who choose to answer, I’m grateful that you are taking time out of your day to respond to me. I appreciate it.
I have several friends on the autism spectrum one has Aspergers* in addition to about a billion other things he is a major cyclist and has been since the 70s-80s

I wouldn't worry about it, if people become jerks then leave and write a letter to the manager and hopefully they will get the staff to shape up or ship out. However most folks in bike shops are damaged goods in some way (and I don't mean it in a bad way) we are all a bit eccentric, odd, weird what have you. Normal for us is not the normal for others. This is not anything against you nor is it a jab at my fellow workers in the industry. We know who we are, and we wouldn't want to be anything else (aside from maybe being a bit wealthier, bike parts ain't cheap)

I would certainly go into the bike store with some knowledge of what you want. What kind of riding are you doing, how often, where do you plan on riding...? If there is a particular style of bike that appeals then talk about those. I find having a little knowledge can be good but you don't have to go crazy (as it can be tough sometimes) However don't let the knowledge cloud you too much. Some folks in the industry are young and inexperienced but many know a lot about these bikes and see a lot of people and can certainly help guide you to the better bike for you.

Be yourself, because honestly that is the only person you can be. If people can't accept that then they aren't really people you want to associate with. It is not a bad idea to find other cyclists heck there might even be other cyclists on the spectrum. If you do ride alone be spatially aware and have a means of contacting someone else and maybe let them know where you are going especially if going longer distances.

One of my friends (who happens to be on the spectrum) decided he wanted to go to an event about 50 miles away and it was starting in the morning so he rode up at night by himself and did it. In that case he did bring some of his normal touring kit so he could camp out. He also traveled parts of the world alone.

Kudos on getting a bike and certainly if you need some help or advice feel free to send me Private Message and I can help out.

Rock on, ride safe and kick ass. You have many years ahead but live your young life while you can!

*I did not know the history of Aspergers, It is a shame that was named after a Nazi who sent children to die. I am very sorry I used the term and have for so many years without knowing the horrific history of the man it is named after. I do not know what to call it but I now know more about Nazi Hans Asperger.

Last edited by veganbikes; 11-09-20 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Learned something new.
Old 09-25-20, 12:43 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade. New bikes are scarce as was mentioned previously. REI is a great store but you probably will not find a bike there unless you have $$$$ to spend. I just looked at what is available in the two REI stores located in the Las Vegas area where I live. REI, has almost no bikes in the entry level price range for sale or available to be shipped to the store or your home. They list 16 road bikes with the least expensive $1,049. They have one Hybrid bike, a 9 speed Cannondale for $750. All the rest are over $1K. Their least expensive mountain bike is $1,300.
Old 10-11-20, 04:48 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I too have it. The forward momentum smoothes out my twitchiness.

1) super bright lights... >900 lumens on front, >300 on back. On the road, you’re a vehicle. Be lit like one.

2) instead of focusing on being not-weird looking, work at being awesome looking. Practice stopping hard enough that you feel the rear wheel come up in the air. It prepares your brain-body connection for emergency stops, and when you teach your body to do it with style soooometimes people will give you a thumbs-up which always feels kinda good. Practice sprinting, it sometimes is a very polite gesture in thick traffic to be at least trying to get out of the way of narcissistic drivers.

Also, I find riding a single speed bike with fenders makes the whole of maneuvering around/through road obstacles (potholes, debris, puddles, dead animals) and being mindful of traffic coming from all directions a lot less mentally taxing than dealing with gears. I can probably write three paragraphs about all of the potential explitive-inducing issues shifters and derailers yield.

Regarding being at the bike shop and getting fitted... if you make an appointment, they’ll appreciate that a lot- especially if it’s on a rainy Tuesday/Wednesday before 3pm. Show up thoroughly bathed and even if you’re like me and have a stutter that takes ten minutes to get two sentences out, they’ll be a lot less uncomfortable with you than they are with a lot of their regulars who tend to bring a strong aroma with them.

I often have to have all of my questions and priorities written down on a piece of paper when I go to the shop as I do get overwhelmed and quickly get wanting to leave within seconds of walking in- a feeling that grows the longer that I’m there.

Welcome to bike commuting! Have fun and be safe!

Last edited by hsuBM; 10-11-20 at 04:59 PM.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 11-02-20, 07:44 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I would think that learning a new skill like this would build confidence and be very therapeutic. Like anything that causes anxiety, you probably want to identify achievable things and work your way up towards more challenging milestones (see exposure and response prevention therapy).
I have a friend in the spectrum and he rides his bike everywhere. There was a fellow on this forums that hung around on the commuting forum that was autistic and rode his bike everywhere (he lives in my city and I'd see him all the time).
Good luck and enjoy the growth that will come.
Old 11-04-20, 11:03 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
If you have a problem with make eye contact with other people, have no fear. When you are cycling on a path and you have other cyclists passing you in the opposite direction, wear sunglasses. No one can see your eyes, and many other cyclists wear them as well, so you won't be able to see their eyes.
Lily, I hope you are able to find the right bike and are able to enjoy one of the best hobbies known to humans. I don't know where you are in Arizona, but I know in some areas in Arizona are known for having a pesky plant called Goatheads. Goatheads plants grown sharp, thorny seedpods. And if these thorns fall off onto the road, they present a very potential problem for puncturing bicycle tires and causing flats. So when you choose a bike, also take note of the type of tire the bike will fit, and if that tire offers good protection from Goathead thorns. I would not want to see your enthusiasm ruined by constant flats.
Old 11-06-20, 11:55 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I try not to be too open about having Aspergers, because people treat me differently as opposed to not telling them. I do not want to be viewed the way most NT's view people with autism.
I know the feeling. About not being too open about disabilities. I have a brain injury. Due to being born with a brain aneurysm, that caused hydrocephalus. The brain surgeries I had as a child, caused epilepsy and learning disabilities. So, I know the feeling of being judged on account of my physical health.
Old 11-24-20, 04:41 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Fellow aspie here. First, know that it does not have to hold you back from doing what you want and having a good life. I'm sure you've heard that a million times but it always worth repeating. I've been married for 36 years, raised kids who've turned out well, been successful in business and have some good friends. Something I've learned with friends is that it takes a while for you both to get comfortable with each other. My best friends today all followed a similar path of friends > kind of awkward not sure if we like each other but still stay in touch > understanding > close friends. Environment can make a big difference. I found MN to be much more tolerable/accepting of aspies than the southeast for example. The ultimate though is Sweden & The Netherlands (where, interestingly, bicycling is the most enjoyable and safe). And I'm sure you're aware that some of the most successful people in the world are aspies. There are a lot of great bits that come along with it so it really balances out.

So, bicycling... Health is important for aspies (and everyone). Personally I've become a fan of Blue Zones. Some people, particularly aspies w/ ADD/ADHD, find that a proper upright bike (City Bikes | LocalMile) is much more comfortable to ride and better for dealing with sensory input since you are upright and 'natural'. It's easier to see cars and people around you and you're less surprised by stuff. And then ideally stick mostly to bikeways if you have any or very low traffic roads.

Fitness/Racing... One thought is to contact a local club (at your uni or elsewhere) and tell them what's happening and see if they have someone who'd be willing to ride with you for a bit to help you learn the ropes and get comfortable. I'd be surprised if there are not several people in any club who'd love to do that. There are a bunch of folks here who do that for XC skiing - mostly for sight impaired but also aspies and others.
Old 12-28-20, 02:42 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
If you took the aspies, the bipolars, and the alcoholics out of the bike clubs would there be anyone left?

There is a newer type of bike club dominated by ego, testosterone, and conspicuous consumption. Cycling is the new golf. If you meet one of those clubs you will smell it a mile off. The clubs that will welcome you are still around. The bipolars and alkies will see you as steady and dependable.
Old 12-28-20, 04:29 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
If you were from my area I would pull a bike from the store room and let you give it a go .
Isn't there a local member from your area that has an extra bike for you to try. Speak up members!
Old 12-29-20, 12:37 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I can drive a car on familiar routes (although I don’t prefer to) and can handle some city driving if I absolutely have to. I understand the rules of the road, sometimes I need them explained in a different way, but I can still grasp them eventually and with sufficient practice (all supervised and in a controlled environment, Ex, an empty parking lot.) problem is, these rules are not followed to the dot. Speed limit and blinkers and everything in between. I can follow the rules very well, but it throws me off when others do not because I don’t know what to do in that situation.
I was late seeing this topic. Have you made any progress?

In a sense, cycling can be very good for an introvert.

One thing, however, you can't just ride in a bubble whether it is on a bike path, or on the road.

Driving or riding is a constant give and take. You share the road with cars, and cars share the road with you. You don't have to ride down the center of the lane. They should recognize your right to ride on the road, but move over some and let them pass when safe.

Following the rules is good. But, also always expect the unexpected. With traffic lights, cars may enter an interchange early, or still be in the interchange as the light changes. I've also been short-cycled while riding my bike, so as a rule, watch for traffic to clear before entering an intersection.

If you see a car signalling, wait until you can ascertain that they are, in fact, turning before pulling out in front. Likewise, if a car should stop... make sure it IS stopping before pulling in front.

Look ahead, back, and to the sides. Try to figure out what will happen a few seconds before it does happen. If you see a car that looks like it might pull out, then give it a little extra space.

Always expect the unexpected. If you can do that, then you'll do well overall. You must have some flexibility. Some will signal, some won't. Or, perhaps signalling will indicate a driveway, rather than the road you're expecting.