Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting the most out of your chemical warmers

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-12-21, 10:47 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts

We've had a pretty good stretch of sub-zero weather in my neck of the woods. Along with the wind picking up, i have had to bust out the chemical warmers to suppliment my mittens on my commutes. While this works nicely to keep my fingers from freezing, i don't like wasting a consumable product that is designed to last for hours on my half hour ride to work.
I know many of you are aware that these hand and toe warmer packs need oxygen to keep the chemical reaction going which creates heat. This can be snuffed out by starving the oxygen again after use. I have heard of people using ziplock bags and other ways to do this. I thought i would share my success of using mason jars to stop the reaction and store partially used packs for later use. Seems like most households already have at least a few jars lying around, and they work great. I have gotten 5 or 6 usages out of a pair of warmers, and they seal up so well that you can even save them for next winter season (I have stored them for a couple years and they heated right up when removed from the jar).
I am sure many of you already use similar methods, but this works so well and it is so easy to seal and store, I thought i would share and maybe save somebody a little cash.
Old 02-12-21, 10:49 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Dang. Good tip.
Old 02-12-21, 11:34 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
I just got these today, haven't used them yet. They heat up to around 110F, 3 settings. Charge is supposed to last 6 hours on low and take 500 recharges. Maybe a bit thick to keep inside the glove unless you wear then oversized a little, but pretty light weight. I am planning on keeping them in my pockets, if my hands start getting cold just stop and put my hands in my pockets for a minute. At the current temp of 15-20F that works even without the heaters, but heaters will make the warmth last longer. For the distance I am riding at these temps that's all I should need. Probably don't get much colder than that very often around here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just tested them, they do fit inside both my lightweight and heavyweight gloves.
Old 02-14-21, 09:59 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Good tip on the Mason jar. I've sealed them in zip lock bags and get about three uses out of them,, my commute being about an hour long. The hand warmers are suppose to last up to 8 hours and the smaller toe warmers up to five. The toe warmers dont work as well as there probabaly isn't enough O2 inside my socks, shoes, and neoprene covers to power the reaction.