Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT forward-back rocking on descents

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-21-21, 09:53 PM
Pacme74 

Bikes: 2020 Surly Long Haul Trucker, Marin Larkspur, Motobecane 1981, Raleigh vintage road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just got a LHT and took her for a 40 mile ride today. I’ve modified from stock by adding VO’s 45 degree stem, but that’s it. On descent at a pretty good clip and on road, but not smooth road, I noticed forward-backward rapid rocking motion. The wheels look true, the brakes aren’t rubbing, all seems fine. What is this?? Doesn’t seem to be the same as shimmy. Bike was not loaded (no racks even) and I’m about 180. Thanks for any hints! Bike broken? Surly master-designed flex that I just don’t appreciate? Magic gremlins?
Old 03-21-21, 10:56 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I assume this bike has a threadless headset, and you said you replaced the stem. Did you properly adjust the bearing preload in the headset before tightening the new stem mounting bolts onto the steerer tube. It sounds like you have a loose headset. If this is the case, you will need to loosen your stem from the steerer, tighten the top cap properly to take slack out of the headset, and re-tighten the stem bolts onto the steerer.

Edit: I just looked at the VO stem design, and it looks like this stem eliminates the top cap, and replaces it with a new, longer bolt. This new bolt is what will be used instead of the top cap to add preload to the bearings in the headset.

Last edited by SalsaShark; 03-21-21 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 06:06 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I assume this bike has a threadless headset, and you said you replaced the stem. Did you properly adjust the bearing preload in the headset before tightening the new stem mounting bolts onto the steerer tube. It sounds like you have a loose headset. If this is the case, you will need to loosen your stem from the steerer, tighten the top cap properly to take slack out of the headset, and re-tighten the stem bolts onto the steerer.

Edit: I just looked at the VO stem design, and it looks like this stem eliminates the top cap, and replaces it with a new, longer bolt. This new bolt is what will be used instead of the top cap to add preload to the bearings in the headset.
+1

Before you/OP makes any adjustments. Squeeze the front brake and try rocking the bike forward and backward. If the headset is loose, you'll feel the bike/fork rock back and forth.

Check the web for proper tightening. You can load the headset too much.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-22-21, 06:10 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 92 Posts
As above, first thought was loose headset.

OP: If it turns out to be something else, do report back, would be good info.
Old 03-22-21, 07:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
When braking? My LHT with the model of tire I use can sort of “rock” at the front end with some braking if I’ve been lazy and haven’t checked tire pressure.

But I’m going with loose headset.
Old 03-22-21, 07:34 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 781 Posts
Go back to the bike store, that would be your best bet, internet unseen people's no really can help.
Old 03-22-21, 07:43 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When braking? My LHT with the model of tire I use can sort of “rock” at the front end with some braking if I’ve been lazy and haven’t checked tire pressure.

That's true..I forgot about that. If you've felt them both..they feel a little different..but you need to have felt them both first... If this makes sense, a loose headset feels more "discreet" rocking while the tire-induced feels more..spongy perhaps.

For the OP..still thinking a loose headset from the stem change.
Old 03-22-21, 07:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 1,119 Posts
I really do not understand what you describe as "forward-backward rapid rocking motion", are you saying that there is flexibility in how the handlebars and stem feel? Or are you saying the bike itself it rocking? Or something else.

If the headset issues do not solve this, please describe in more precise terms what the symptoms are.
Old 03-22-21, 07:53 AM
djb

My point is that with nearly all real life mechanics stuff, to learn actual real world "tightness" or "looseness", you 've got to be shown in real life what "good" feels like.

And you do have to have a certain amount of real life mechanical experience or at least inclination. I've shown people I know how to do stuff and it's promptly forgotten and or they continually repeat over or under tightening.
heck,I've screwed up doing stuff so many times it still makes me laugh.

all I'm saying is that interwebs mechanic teaching ain't really practical, have someone show you headset adjustment in person, it takes 10 seconds and hopefully you pick up on the feel for proper adjustment.
Old 03-22-21, 08:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
For the OP..still thinking a loose headset from the stem change.
Seems highly likely. Should be an easy fix, but don't over tighten. I agree with those wo say to ask someone to show you how if in doubt.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-22-21 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 08:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by djb
My point is that with nearly all real life mechanics stuff, to learn actual real world "tightness" or "looseness", you 've got to be shown in real life what "good" feels like.

And you do have to have a certain amount of real life mechanical experience or at least inclination. I've shown people I know how to do stuff and it's promptly forgotten and or they continually repeat over or under tightening.

all I'm saying is that interwebs mechanic teaching ain't really practical, have someone show you headset adjustment in person, it takes 10 seconds and hopefully you pick up on the feel for proper adjustment.
Sounds like it is time for someone to pick out the right Park Tools youtube video again.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-22-21, 09:26 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacme74
Just got a LHT....I’ve modified from stock.....I noticed.....What is this?? .....

could you maybe return to place of your new purchase,
ask the mech there to take a peek....?
Old 03-22-21, 11:08 AM
djb

Re headset tightness, a mechanic I trust was going over my bike wheels before a trip, checked out everything quickly and recommended I tighten the headset a smidge, I have lots of spacers, he suggested tight until you can't twist the spacers anymore. Said that for cartridge bearings and touring, that tight is better. I had adjusted it just a bit looser than he suggested, but still with no play with rocking.

just thought I'd mention this, I've ridden toured a lot on this bike like this, and it appears fine, no stiffness etc
Old 03-22-21, 11:39 AM
Pacme74 

Bikes: 2020 Surly Long Haul Trucker, Marin Larkspur, Motobecane 1981, Raleigh vintage road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark

thanks for the quick reply - based on your posted and all the concurrences, sounds like it’s the most likely culprit. I installed and am learning as I go, so I’m not surprised I didn’t quite get it right. I’ll definitely report back after I get time in the garage.
Old 03-22-21, 11:40 AM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
+1

Before you/OP makes any adjustments. Squeeze the front brake and try rocking the bike forward and backward. If the headset is loose, you'll feel the bike/fork rock back and forth.

Check the web for proper tightening. You can load the headset too much.
brilliant - will do
Old 03-22-21, 11:41 AM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

tire pressure was not an issue. Thank for the suggestion to consider!
Old 03-22-21, 11:43 AM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I really do not understand what you describe as "forward-backward rapid rocking motion", are you saying that there is flexibility in how the handlebars and stem feel? Or are you saying the bike itself it rocking? Or something else.

If the headset issues do not solve this, please describe in more precise terms what the symptoms are.
rocking as in the whole bike feeling like it is rocking fore and aft without an obvious cause from me or conditions (aside from less than smooth pavement and higher speed). I’ll report back after adjusting headset.
Old 03-22-21, 11:46 AM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb

great point. The local shop that sold me has still a first re-adjustment visit and I can tack this on to witness the tasks.
Old 03-22-21, 11:50 AM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Re headset tightness, a mechanic I trust was going over my bike wheels before a trip, checked out everything quickly and recommended I tighten the headset a smidge, I have lots of spacers, he suggested tight until you can't twist the spacers anymore. Said that for cartridge bearings and touring, that tight is better. I had adjusted it just a bit looser than he suggested, but still with no play with rocking.

just thought I'd mention this, I've ridden toured a lot on this bike like this, and it appears fine, no stiffness etc
thanks!
Old 03-22-21, 01:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Pacme74
rocking as in the whole bike feeling like it is rocking fore and aft without an obvious cause from me or conditions (aside from less than smooth pavement and higher speed). I’ll report back after adjusting headset.
After checking headset, Try it on fairly new smooth pavement, then the bike should ride perfectly smooth.

Otherwise it could be a frame problem or perhaps something odd with the saddle or seatpost. In that scenario, unlikely that we can provide much help on this forum. Or a tire problem, but I think that would be noticeable from looking at the tire.

Anything else I can think of would likely cause some side to side motion that you did not mention.
Old 03-22-21, 01:57 PM
djb

And yes, check out the Parks Tools YouTube mechanic series, excellently made.
Will give you an understanding of headset adjustment etc, and their info is solid and generally very well explained
Old 03-22-21, 03:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
Another hint if you ever think you will have to ship your bike. If you have cantilever brakes, use your front brake cable hanger to lock your setting in after the headset is adjusted. If you have V-brakes or disc brakes, use a locking headset spacer. This will allow you to remove the stem and not worry about securing the fork and adjusting the head set when unpacking your bike. If you have a LHT, it comes stock with cantilever brakes so changing the stem should not have affected your headset adjustment. If it is loose, it came that way.

the stem can be removed from my wife's bike to facilitate packing, and the headset is secure with a locking headset spacer.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-22-21 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 06:13 PM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
After checking headset, Try it on fairly new smooth pavement, then the bike should ride perfectly smooth.

Otherwise it could be a frame problem or perhaps something odd with the saddle or seatpost. In that scenario, unlikely that we can provide much help on this forum. Or a tire problem, but I think that would be noticeable from looking at the tire.

Anything else I can think of would likely cause some side to side motion that you did not mention.
thanks. My first thought was frame problem, but not because I know enough to diagnose. I’ll try to recreate the conditions again. It’s felt very smooth on smooth pavement so far.
Old 03-22-21, 06:15 PM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
And yes, check out the Parks Tools YouTube mechanic series, excellently made.
Will give you an understanding of headset adjustment etc, and their info is solid and generally very well explained
that smooth-talking gentleman with the almost-handlebar ‘stache is reason I’m where I am! 100% agree.
Old 03-22-21, 06:16 PM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Another hint if you ever think you will have to ship your bike. If you have cantilever brakes, use your front brake hanger to lock your setting in after the headset is adjusted. If you have
V-brakes or disc brakes, use a locking headset spacer. This will allow you to remove the stem and not worry about securing the fork and adjusting the head set when unpacking your bike. If you have a LHT, it comes stock with cantilever brakes so changing the stem should not have affected your headset adjustment. If it is loose, it came that way.

the stem can be removed from my wife's bike to facilitate packing, and the headset is secure with a locking headset spacer.
interesting. That’s gonna make more sense to me after I watch more Park Tool videos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.