Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How much pressure to press down on the chain checker tool?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-05-21, 07:04 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

How much pressure, if any, do you put on your chain checker when checking chain wear?

I have the Filzer chain checker (below). If I just place the checker tool on/in the chain, the chain reports 50% wear. But if I apply a little pressure, the chain checker drops down to 75% wear.

So I'm curious. Do you just place the checker in the chain and let gravity do the rest, or do you help it along?

Thank you.

Old 04-05-21, 07:32 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 722 Posts
Measure a 12" length of chain with a good steel rule and you will know for certain. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html#measure
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-05-21, 07:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,826 Times in 4,621 Posts
Checking chain wear?

Oh, geez, you've opened a can of worms.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-05-21, 08:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
Carry that checker with you on rides with friends and ask to check their chains to begin to gather more data points. I know of no pounds of pressure spec when using a checker, but I also haven't read each manufacturer's instructions. IME far less pressure that a wheel's QR needs to seat, maybe close to or a bit less then a classic Campy NR brake caliper QR needs. Andy
Old 04-05-21, 08:20 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
In my experience, if i can push the .75% wear down into the gap between rollers with only a bit of pressure, it is time to install a new chain. If the .75% drops in with gravity alone, it might be time to also replace the cassette along with the chain.
Old 04-05-21, 08:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

On further thought one could devise a small weight that hangs off the checker's tabbed end to make the insert pressure consistent. With a gage (and a checker is not a measuring device it's a go/no go gage) it's all about doing the procedure the same each time. Andy
Old 04-05-21, 11:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Checking chain wear?

Oh, geez, you've opened a can of worms.
How many chains can you check before the chain checker itself needs to be replaced? We need a chain checker checker!

But as for how much force to put on that particular gauge... I'd say unless you're bending the tool or bending the chain link... more force = more accurate.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 04-06-21, 03:13 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I always put the chain checker on the upper part of the chain and press with my hand on the pedal. If it drops to 0.75, I replace the chain.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 04-06-21, 04:46 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I use the Park tool chain checker and I wait until the chain is nearly 1.00 and then I change the chain and cassette. I find when the chain is between 0.75 and 1.00 bicycles still perform well without any problems shifting and I do not get any skipping when pushing hard pedaling. These type of issues may begin to occur when the chain is > 1.00 so at that point I change it and the cassette.
Old 04-06-21, 05:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,826 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
How many chains can you check before the chain checker itself needs to be replaced? We need a chain checker checker!
That subject will probably get its own thread. With a poll.
Old 04-06-21, 08:03 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thanks for the response everyone. A little bit of pressure on the chain checker it is!

SalsaShark Your comment about the chain checker dropping down at 75% by gravity alone meaning it is time to replace the cassette and chain is bang on. On one of my other bikes I checked the chain and the checker dropped easily down to 75%. When I replaced the chain, it was skipping all over the place and I had to replace the cassette too.
Old 04-06-21, 08:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

On even further thought when a checker is used with a spring loaded chain tensioner (a der as example) it's the spring's tension that initially controls the amount of pressure one can apply to the checker. IME this spring tension falls within a relatively small range. Press on the checker so the tensioning device has some "play out" but doesn't bottom out. This will control the pressure on the checker to a fairly narrow range. Andy
Old 04-06-21, 09:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
It's probably worth checking the chain that started this thread with a tape measure or ruler. If the chain turns out to be "really" worn out, you need to press down hard with that checker.
Old 04-06-21, 11:29 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
It's probably worth checking the chain that started this thread with a tape measure or ruler. If the chain turns out to be "really" worn out, you need to press down hard with that checker.
Exactly - apply the amount of force necessary to give the result you want.
Old 04-06-21, 11:56 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
That checker is a candidate for the recycle bin. Either use a ruler and replace at 1/16" wear or a good quality checker like the Pedros or park look-a-like. Amazon.com : Chain Checker Plus II, Black : Sports & Outdoors