Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

23 v. 25 vs. 28 mm tire width?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

23 v. 25 vs. 28 mm tire width?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 04:47 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
What's the old saying? "My favorite color is ON SALE"

Originally Posted by urbanknight

I will say though that I am guilty of doing exactly what Tomato Coupe suggested. Every time I plan on buying a 25mm tire for my road bike, I see that the 23mm is on sale for less (no surprise considering the trends) and choose to save $10 or $20 rather than save my butt.
Likes For MagicHour:
Old 05-13-21, 05:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
I'm going to try to put 25mm tires in place of my 4 inch tires on the fat bike.
Yep, that will probably generate the attention you seek.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-13-21, 05:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Especially when he loses traction and slides down the trail.
Old 05-13-21, 06:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
I'm going to try to put 25mm tires in place of my 4 inch tires on the fat bike. that will turn heads.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I run 21 mm tubulars on my fat bike and, yes, it turns a lot of heads. But, that's mostly because there aren't a lot of other cyclists riding fat bikes at the velodrome.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-13-21, 06:31 PM
big john

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I run 21 mm tubulars on my fat bike and, yes, it turns a lot of heads. But, that's mostly because there aren't a lot of other cyclists riding fat bikes at the velodrome.
It brings up the question, is it still a fat bike if it has road tires on it?
Likes For big john:
Old 05-13-21, 11:52 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It brings up the question, is it still a fat bike if it has road tires on it?
I'm gonna say no. If a track bike becomes a "fixie" as soon as it hits the streets, a fat bike should become a... I don't know... skinny bike?
Old 05-14-21, 12:46 AM
motopokep
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I wanna be like the guy on the left below, looks like he's leading because the fat tires make more contact with the road, resulting in more speed

Old 05-14-21, 01:20 AM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, amateurs do races of that length, and longer.

The now defunct Everest Challenge was 120 miles, 14,700' day 1; 85 miles, 12,500' day 2. Spectacular ride.

I don't race but entered the 40+ open race for fun on a 24-lb touring bike, wound up with the jersey.

bro, no offense meant, but if that's really you, your legs are highly disproportionate to your arms. you're in the wrong sport, you gotta retire this bicycle stuff and hit the weightroom and start doing curls and dips to build them bi's and tri's. or skip the weights, I know a guy in Mexico who'll pump up your arms with synthol i mean, my wrists are thicker than your arms they make fun of bodybuilders who often forego leg training and look funny with skinny legs. I see the bicycle community is the opposite, big leg muscles and no arms.

typical amateur bodybuilder:

typical cyclist:

Old 05-14-21, 04:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Pro cyclists actually come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. There are sprinters, climbers, pursuiters, all-rounders etc. They certainly don't all look like Chris Froome!
Someone like Chris Hoy could pass off as a "bodybuilder"

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-14-21, 08:15 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
[Y]our legs are highly disproportionate to your arms. you're in the wrong sport, you gotta retire this bicycle stuff and hit the weightroom.
Thanks for that unsolicited body building advice, motopokep .

The most memorable advice I received was from a bystander who was cheering on our group as we descended a twisty road. When I came into view, he yelled as loud as he could, "Oh my God, eat a SANDWICH!"

Cycling is one of the only sports in which my body type is an advantage.

typical cyclist:

That's no "typical" cyclist, that's Michael Rasmussen, world mountain bike champion and twice-winner of best climber at the Tour de France.

His BMI is 19.5, in the normal, healthy range (as is mine, 18.9).

(Edit: That isn't Rasmussen after all. That's Chriss Froome. My mistake.)

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-14-21 at 04:59 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-14-21, 09:05 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I wanna be like the guy on the left below, looks like he's leading because the fat tires make more contact with the road, resulting in more speed

I loooooong time ago, I was on a training ride chugging along a flat road at about 32 mph enjoying the draft of a 100+ person pack when out of the corner of my eye there was some dude on a full suspension downhill bike passing the pack in the next lane over. It was Tinker Juarez.
Old 05-14-21, 09:54 AM
motopokep
Banned

[QUOTE=terrymorse;22059015]Thanks for that unsolicited body building advice, motopokep .

The most memorable advice I received was from a bystander who was cheering on our group as we descended a twisty road. When I came into view, he yelled as loud as he could, "Oh my God, eat a SANDWICH!"

Cycling is one of the only sports in which my body type is an advantage.

/QUOTE]

Not the only. You'd be good at sprinting, marathons and then also mountain climbing and swimming (for the latter two, your arms would bulk up naturally". I'm just saying that cycling is one of the few sports (not the only though) that doesn't use all 4 limbs, resulting in funny-looking athletes with muscular legs and toothpicks arms. Do 10 sets of curls and 10 sets of dips or tricep extensions every week, rep range from 10, then go heavy all the way down to where you can only do 4-6 reps, go to failure on every set (where you can't do a single rep anymore). Your arms will grow if you get adequate protein intake. You're not gonna be looking like Dorian Yates, but at least people will think twice before knocking you off your bike to steal it
Old 05-14-21, 12:02 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I'm just saying that cycling is one of the few sports (not the only though) that doesn't use all 4 limbs, resulting in funny-looking athletes with muscular legs and toothpicks arms. Do 10 sets of curls and 10 sets of dips or tricep extensions every week, rep range from 10, then go heavy all the way down to where you can only do 4-6 reps, go to failure on every set (where you can't do a single rep anymore). Your arms will grow if you get adequate protein intake. You're not gonna be looking like Dorian Yates, but at least people will think twice before knocking you off your bike to steal it
That'll just make the arms heavier and increase their aerodynamic profile. Why would a road cyclist want to put in extra work to make themselves slower?
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 05-14-21, 12:20 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I'm looking at a tire that comes in two widths, 25 or 23 mm. What is the most widely used tire width for road cycling? I understand the thinner the tire, the less contact with the road = more speed. The thicker the tire = better handling on unpaved surfaces. Why would someone want the "thicker" 25 mm or even a 28 mm tire? I don't imagine having to ride on any gravel or grass, should I go with a 23 mm tire?

Aside from performance, how does width affect stability and durability (in terms of getting flats)? Also, will a 23 mm tire fit all standard 700cc rims that come with a 28 mm stock tire?
Since this thread has gone sideways (as usual), I will try to put it back on the right path.

25mm is the ''standard'' and 28mm is on the edge of taking its place. Many race bikes come with 28mm tires nowadays. Personally, I like 28mm because I can lower the pressure (more comfortable) without having the increased rolling resistance.

Last edited by eduskator; 05-14-21 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-14-21, 12:34 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Since this thread has gone sideways (as usual), I will try to put it back on the right path.

25mm is the ''standard'' and 28mm is on the edge of taking its place. Many race bikes come with 28mm tires nowadays. Personally, I like 28mm because I can lower the pressure (more comfortable) without having the increased rolling resistance.
It's gone sideways due to the nature of the OP and the initial intent to turn into another troll thread.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-14-21, 12:43 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
That's no "typical" cyclist, that's Michael Rasmussen, world mountain bike champion and twice-winner of best climber at the Tour de France.

His BMI is 19.5, in the normal, healthy range (as is mine, 18.9).
My wife and I can pick him out of the peloton by his elbows/arms alone (we call him "Praying Mantis arms"), and that Sir, is Chris Froome, 4 time winner of the TdF, as well as the winner of Vuelta, and Giro.

Last edited by Riveting; 05-14-21 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-14-21, 12:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
My wife and I can pick him out of the the peloton by his elbows/arms alone (we call him "Praying Mantis arms"), and that Sir, is Chris Froome, 4 time winner of the TdF, as well as the winner of Vuelta, and Giro.
Ah, you're right of course! I should have taken a closer look.

That is Chris Froome (6'1" 146 lbs, BMI 19.3), winner of 7 grand tours.

When he's kitted up in yellow and climbing hard, Rasmussen does bear a passing resemblance:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-14-21, 01:29 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Ah, you're right of course! I should have taken a closer look.

That is Chris Froome (6'1" 146 lbs, BMI 19.3), winner of 7 grand tours.

When he's kitted up in yellow and climbing hard, Rasmussen does bear a passing resemblance:

Similar yes, but c'mon, those are CLEARLY not Froome's biceps
Old 05-14-21, 01:30 PM
big john

"For seven hours and 12 minutes, Emge battled fellow racers and his own wide tires to finish the 112-mile bike portion of the triathlon. He clocked an average speed of 15.49mph, putting him at 1,854th of 2,671 total athletes for that segment (as well as 78th of 160 athletes in the 55-59 division)—an especially impressive finish considering his choice of gear."

I'm thinking he could have done better without the ridiculous bike choice.
Old 05-14-21, 02:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Not the only. You'd be good at sprinting, marathons and then also mountain climbing and swimming (for the latter two, your arms would bulk up naturally". I'm just saying that cycling is one of the few sports (not the only though) that doesn't use all 4 limbs, resulting in funny-looking athletes with muscular legs and toothpicks arms. Do 10 sets of curls and 10 sets of dips or tricep extensions every week, rep range from 10, then go heavy all the way down to where you can only do 4-6 reps, go to failure on every set (where you can't do a single rep anymore). Your arms will grow if you get adequate protein intake. You're not gonna be looking like Dorian Yates, but at least people will think twice before knocking you off your bike to steal it
This suggestion makes as much sense as many of your other ideas. At least you're consistent.
Old 05-14-21, 02:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Curls are a junk exercise.
Old 05-14-21, 02:25 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Curls are a junk exercise.
I used to do the 12 ounce curls but it made my belly grow.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-14-21, 02:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Aerobelly! Helps smooth turbulent flow behind the stem. Some people pay big money for belly fairings. You'll see them fund raising in front of grocery stores in December, wearing red and white to be conspicuous, usually they're practicing their bell ringing skills to be in shape for MUP racing season.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-14-21, 02:47 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
"For seven hours and 12 minutes, Emge battled fellow racers and his own wide tires to finish the 112-mile bike portion of the triathlon. He clocked an average speed of 15.49mph, putting him at 1,854th of 2,671 total athletes for that segment (as well as 78th of 160 athletes in the 55-59 division)—an especially impressive finish considering his choice of gear."

I'm thinking he could have done better without the ridiculous bike choice.
Maybe it was a case of "ride with what brung you."
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 05-14-21, 02:53 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Chinghis
Maybe it was a case of "ride with what brung you."
I thought about that and he's obviously a strong guy to do what he did. Just seeing clip on aero bars on a fatbike would be unusual.I suspect he might enjoy beating people on the thing, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.