Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What cleats does everyone use?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What cleats does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 09:43 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
the pedal bearing on the axel. Speed plays even have a special grease gun for opening up the cap on the end and pushing new grease through.

Try spinning them with you hand. If it is tough that is because they need new grease.
Originally Posted by notmyke
They're essentially a sealed system, so provided they stay dry and don't get dust working its way past the seals, they could/should last a long time.

I live on the west coast, get caught in the rain more often than I'd like, then have to wash off the bike, so mine do get "dry" (they spin like a top if you give the pedal body a push).
I'll pump some new grease into them a couple times a year (tops), at ~12K km/yr split between two bikes - and a few years ago I let them go a bit too long and then noticed some play in the axle/pedal body.

I haven't bought new pedals in at least a decade, but both sets of pedals have seen new axles (Ti) and bearings in the last couple years.
It's counter intuitive, but when a speedplay pedal spins easily, that means it is time for service. Then after injecting the grease, the pedal should be harder to spin.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-02-21, 10:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectrumTi
Do you use the covers that stay on all the time? Thinking about trying those and curious how well they work.
I've been using the Keep On Kovers.. work great (add some height though to your walking but better that than direct contact with cement or your hardwood floors when you get home :-)
https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S...9605415&sr=8-2

Originally Posted by Nachoman
It's counter intuitive, but when a speedplay pedal spins easily, that means it is time for service. Then after injecting the grease, the pedal should be harder to spin.
Exactly, spinning at all freely is a sign for need to regrease.
Old 01-05-21, 11:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by frischtr
SPDs on mountain bikes and tandem, Time RXS on road bikes...
Exactly the same here - although we don't have the tandem any more
Old 01-05-21, 11:07 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by xseal
And I should add that I switched to Time after trying all the others and having minor knee pain (a few surgeries from football/lax), and the Time pedals are great for people with knee issues.
I use the RXS version and don't really know how they compare to the cleat hook up on the newer models. But what sold me was the feel of the float - metal on metal. It just felt better to me than the SPD-SL I was comparing them to. Plus the cleats are very "walkable" and last very long becuse the working part is metal.
Old 05-19-21, 02:13 AM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Look Keo Easy on road bike, OneUp flats on MTB.

I'm quite new to road clipless (13y ago I used eggbeaters and SPD for some time).
Is there any reason to upgrade my clipless pedals? (I know, weight, haha, and maybe possibility to adjust tension).
better Keos ? maybe SPD-SL ? (shimano, exustar), Crank Brothers ? (my shoes accept 3 and 2 bolts cleats)

I run 20mm axle extender on left axle, because my leg problem (my left foot is rotated ~10* toe out - broken tibia long time ago), and I have 4.5* cleats.
My used Keo Easy came with second-hand bike...

strange feeling with float play - I mean, there is no resistance at all, different feeling than on flats - like not connected to a bike at all.

Last edited by razorjack; 05-19-21 at 03:39 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-19-21, 02:35 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
SPD SL yellow. Just works
Old 05-19-21, 02:38 AM
evildead785

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use SPD all the time, for me there is no alternative yet, since there were no problems.
Old 05-19-21, 05:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
SPD-SL for the road bike (yellow cleats), SPD for the gravel bike.

Tried SPD for the first time last month when I picked up the N+1 and it's OK, but I still prefer the SLs. I feel more stable when my shoes are clipped.
Old 05-19-21, 09:04 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Speedplay Walkable Zeros/carbon sole shoes for the fast bike; SPD (standard black ones) for the "all road" bike. No racing (except occasionally on Zwift) and mostly do solo rides. If the shoes are comfortable and adequately stiff out on the road either system works well however:
  • More leisurely ride with stops or walking?: SPD shoes
  • Faster ride, workouts, trying to best a PR or Zwifting (every watt counts!): Speedplay + road shoes
Old 05-19-21, 11:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
SPD-SL yellow cleats here (Shimano 105 pedals). Faultless for road use. A bit of a pain to walk in.
For mountain biking I used Cranks Bros cleats for a long time (Mallet pedals mainly), but switched to flats about 6 years ago and never went back. I don't feel like I lose any power on climbs and much easier to dab in tech sections. So I think any advantages of being clipped in for power transmission are a bit over-stated. For me the main benefit is consistent positioning and no risk of slipping.
Old 05-19-21, 05:06 PM
cbuddy2005

Bikes: old GT avalanche, Ribble Ti Endurance disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I ride SPD with mountain bike shoes so I can walk around
Likes For cbuddy2005:
Old 05-19-21, 08:04 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
SPD-SL yellow cleats here (Shimano 105 pedals). Faultless for road use. A bit of a pain to walk in.
For mountain biking I used Cranks Bros cleats for a long time (Mallet pedals mainly), but switched to flats about 6 years ago and never went back. I don't feel like I lose any power on climbs and much easier to dab in tech sections. So I think any advantages of being clipped in for power transmission are a bit over-stated. For me the main benefit is consistent positioning and no risk of slipping.
I'll agree that flats are probably a good choice for many MTBers. But I assume you're limiting the bolded claim to mtb only right? Or do you feel like there is no significant power advantage on road either?

I guess I'll chime in despite this being a zombie thread. I've used SPD-SL yellow cleats for the past 4 years. Always hated the shimano float, nay, slop system. So this week I bought shimano blue cleats. Maybe I'll eventually go red. I'll report back if my knees shred themselves.
Old 05-19-21, 09:04 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
SPD-SL for the road bike with yellow cleats
PD-M520-SPD for the mountain bike
Old 05-20-21, 04:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I'll agree that flats are probably a good choice for many MTBers. But I assume you're limiting the bolded claim to mtb only right? Or do you feel like there is no significant power advantage on road either?
It was more of a response to any subtle differences in power transmission between SPD and SPD-SL cleats as mentioned in the original post. I would never ride flats on my road bike and I think there would be a significant loss in doing so, but I doubt I could tell any difference between various cleat types in terms of power.
I don't notice any obvious loss in power riding flats on my mtb. I just find flats more comfortable and convenient for casual trail riding, especially technical slippery, rooty singletrack. If I was racing XC around a field I would probably go back to my Crank Bros cleated pedals.
Old 05-20-21, 08:33 AM
mruneedahelmet

Bikes: Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 (2017), Concorde Prestige (199?)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
SPD-SL blue. Like most I started on yellow but the generous float on them wasn't conducive to good pedaling form. The blues give me just the right amount of float to be comfortable, without allowing my knees and ankles to splay and develop bad habits. Haven't tried the reds but imagine those would be too unforgiving.