Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could a child learn to balance, sitting in front of a rider, holding the handlebars

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Could a child learn to balance, sitting in front of a rider, holding the handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 02:10 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

Here is an interesting idea, that may or may not help teach children to ride bicycles. If a child sat in front of the rider, holding the handlebars, would he or she pick up the skill of balancing a bicycle?
Old 05-22-21, 05:04 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
IMHO doubtful. But maybe it would give the child a little confidence. From my experience the biggest hurdle teaching my kids and grandkids to ride a bike has been overcoming the fear of falling. even at that that fear was best assuaged by actually falling and finding it isn't as horrible as it seems.

Old 05-22-21, 06:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
No.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-22-21, 06:32 AM
hanry421

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is risky, but yeah it helps a child to improve his confidence.
Old 05-22-21, 07:42 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Try the experiment. For statistically significant results, you'll need to have at least 20 children, with your spouse's approval, of course.
Old 05-22-21, 07:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Another no for me. IME balance bikes are the best way of learning to ride a bike. Anything that does the balancing part for them is useless.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-22-21, 08:04 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i got both of my kids riding a bike in about 15 minutes. i did this by having them just sit and roll down the steep driveway into the street (a very quiet dead end street). the steepness of the driveway maintained speed which as we know is easier to balance. they first did this with their feet just above the ground then when they felt ready, just putting their feet on the pedals with no peddling. then they started to pedal and shortly they were just riding. my youngest just had trouble steering but after a head over the handlebars crash into a curb she quickly learned.
Old 05-22-21, 08:15 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
When I was a kid, the way we learned was by being laughed at by the other kids on the block until we learned. The kids who didn't have a bike yet, learned on someone else's bike. Now we don't have neighborhoods full of kids, so balance bikes seem like the next best thing.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-22-21, 08:45 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
So you are making the kid sit on the top tube while you sit on your $100+ anatomically perfect saddle?

John
Old 05-22-21, 08:56 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Most little kids (aged 2-3 AND SOME 50 year olds) ride tiny little bikes with no pedals which they move with their feet on the ground. Getting the kids to quickly raise their feet and coast for a second and keep increasing the time would seem to work better since they are not relying on someone else to balance for them and at are such a great height.

Old 05-22-21, 01:30 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
No.
Old 05-22-21, 02:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
No but in the event of a crash you have a fine cushion to protect yourself. I mean I personally wouldn't use my child as a cushion like that but plenty of people think it is just fine. From a population control standpoint it is good idea as well.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-22-21, 03:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No but in the event of a crash you have a fine cushion to protect yourself. I mean I personally wouldn't use my child as a cushion like that but plenty of people think it is just fine. From a population control standpoint it is good idea as well.
I wonder about dog owners that drive with the dog in their lap. What happens to the pooch when hit by that airbag and squished into it's owner's chest?

But I suppose you just plan to have your accident at some other convenient time when the dog is elsewhere. I suppose the OP can do the same.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-22-21, 03:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
It’s not an interesting idea, but thanks for playing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-22-21, 03:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wonder about dog owners that drive with the dog in their lap. What happens to the pooch when hit by that airbag and squished into it's owner's chest?

But I suppose you just plan to have your accident at some other convenient time when the dog is elsewhere. I suppose the OP can do the same.
I plan all my accidents in advance, you folks don't? If you don't plan them they can be quite inconvenient. As it so happens I have one scheduled for 5:03pm tomorrow, I am going to slip on a wet floor...LOL
Old 05-22-21, 05:24 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I think best way is to have a bike which kids can straddle, put right foot on the pedal with the left one still on the ground and they can start riding it like a scooter, eventually they can put lift the left foot and even a bit later put it on the left pedal and from there they are set. For lefthanded kids, in reverse
Speaking of a scooter, maybe that's the best precursor to get into riding anything. It gives you all the automation for balancing a bike.

In the old days, when parents wouldn't buy any bike but kids would find an adult size bike in barn, maybe left behind by their grand parents, they would ride it with their back under the top tube (given their short legs would not reach pedals if seated on the top tube, never mind the saddle. And in time they would grow and be able to ride the bike sitting on the top tube, really standing over it, and after growing up some more, they could finally ride the bike seated. Today's kids are spoiled brats.

When I was growing up, that old bike was woman's style one with drop down top tube, so we could ride it standing on the pedals without having to squeeze under the top tube. Also, parents never taught children these things, we learned with/from our peers.
I learned to swim by standing around in waist deep water in a pool and watching people how they do it, then trying it myself...

Last edited by vane171; 05-22-21 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-23-21, 10:25 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Try the experiment. For statistically significant results, you'll need to have at least 20 children, with your spouse's approval, of course.
You mean, of course, 20 of his own children, to minimize genetic variation in the results.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-23-21, 10:30 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
IMHO doubtful. But maybe it would give the child a little confidence. From my experience the biggest hurdle teaching my kids and grandkids to ride a bike has been overcoming the fear of falling. even at that that fear was best assuaged by actually falling and finding it isn't as horrible as it seems.
this is solved with a balance bike. they can put their feet on the ground and push themselves around. my 3 year old granddaughter has learned this easily once she saw other kids doing it.
Old 05-23-21, 10:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
They make a top tube seat, but I think it is only for toddlers,and probably a little young for teaching to ride a bike.

My nephew was tough to teach to ride a bike. I'm not quite sure why, but I think he was a bit too intellectual, so he had the concept down, but not the riding in practice.

I bought an afterburner trailer bike which at least got him pedaling. It took a couple of days, but once we got it, he took to riding like a fish in water.

I tried a tandem with him, but once he figured out he biking on his own, he hated the concept of a "trailer bike".
Old 05-23-21, 10:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
One could make a dual steering tandem bike.

The risk, of course, would be if the kid did something to drive the thing into the ground, or into a car.

Old 05-23-21, 01:38 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Yeah, but at least the dog is learning to drive.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-23-21, 01:59 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
That picture of the tandem messed me up for a bit the way the chains looked until I realized it was actually hanging.

Old 05-23-21, 02:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Balance bikes are the way to go. My mother ran a nursery school before balance bikes were invented. She had some bikes with the pedals taken off that worked pretty well as a balance bike. If you really wanted to go all-out, you could take off the chain and cranks, but it's not strictly necessary
Old 05-23-21, 04:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Balance bikes are the way to go. My mother ran a nursery school before balance bikes were invented. She had some bikes with the pedals taken off that worked pretty well as a balance bike. If you really wanted to go all-out, you could take off the chain and cranks, but it's not strictly necessary
IMO, No, to answer the OP's question

My wife and I are involved with bike safety for our school district. We work mostly with 5th graders, an hour a day for 2 weeks. There are always a few kids that have never leaned to ride a bike in the classes.

We use the same method as unterhausen's mom did: take off the pedals , and lower the seat so the kid's feet can touch the ground. Most of the playgrounds have a little slope which helps. At the end of the first week the pedals are back on the bike. By the end of the two weeks the kids could ride well enough to go on the "around town" graduation ride including: busy streets, intersections traffic signals, and some gentle hills.

I'm the one who usually works with the "non-riders", and it is a great feeling to see the look on their faces when they finally get it.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-23-21 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-23-21, 05:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
My dad took off the training wheels and ran with me for a little bit in the alley. And I was using clipless pedals. The rest is history. Kids these days are coddled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.