Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I not “racy” enough?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I not “racy” enough?

Old 06-30-21, 06:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Though the point of the thread eluded him, Mr'bent popping in made me wonder. Would seeing a 'bent trigger a flat bar/hybrid/mtb racer?
Seeing a 'bent usually makes me wonder...
- what physical issue does the person have that keeps them from riding an upright bike.
- why so many 'bent riders wear goofy hats and clothing(ironic, given what have on when riding).
- if the rider is quirky and therefore chooses the bike style or if the bike style makes them quirky.

I dont think a 'bent has ever triggered anyone to want to race. Just get to the next hill and a 75yo walking will beat the 'bent up the hill.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-30-21, 06:40 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Though the point of the thread eluded him, Mr'bent popping in made me wonder. Would seeing a 'bent trigger a flat bar/hybrid/mtb racer?
Only time I want to be ahead of the bent or a tand is when the light is red. They are typically positioned in a manner along the crosswalk staging area that blocks any other ped traffic from flowing. The lights do not permit much time to cross, & by the time they "clip" in, it's flashing don't walk.
Old 06-30-21, 06:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
No disrespect, but the flat-bar/hybrid assassins must sense you are a tri-geek and are afraid you'll crash in front of them or try to pee off the bike or something.
Post of the day.
Old 06-30-21, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- what physical issue does the person have that keeps them from riding an upright bike.
- why so many 'bent riders wear goofy hats and clothing(ironic, given what have on when riding).
- if the rider is quirky and therefore chooses the bike style or if the bike style makes them quirky.

I dont think a 'bent has ever triggered anyone to want to race. Just get to the next hill and a 75yo walking will beat the 'bent up the hill.
I think you get a free "Foreign Legion" flap cap with each 'bent purchased.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-21, 07:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
The first rule of Bike Race Club is: You do not talk about Bike Race Club. The second rule of Bike Race Club is: You do not talk about Bike Race Club. Third rule of Bike Race Club: Someone yells "Stop!", bonks, flats out, the race is over. Fourth rule: Only two guys to a bike race...one must be riding a flat-bar.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-30-21, 07:08 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,826 Times in 4,621 Posts
I think you get a free "Foreign Legion" flap cap with each 'bent purchased.
And a free AARP membership.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-30-21, 07:22 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Only if you have a beard and aerobelly. Of course, the hormones embedded in the seat of the 'bent get you to growing yours rapidly upon purchase if you lack either, and, once you can document both are fully grown, you are eligible for your free cap.
Old 06-30-21, 08:24 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Only thing that triggers me is an E-Bike. If I see an E-Bike I have to drop it. Maybe keep the racing kit, but start riding an E-Bike?
Old 06-30-21, 08:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Every morning (almost literally) I wake up, put on spandex, and go out riding one of my “Tour de France-type” drop bar bikes. Every day I pass flat bar bikes of all sorts - mountain, hybrid, whatever. Not one of them has ever tried to race me. None has ever passed or dropped me. Do I just not look racy enough to get them fired up, or is there something else I’m missing about all these stories here from flat-bar riders?
It's rationalization. Even when folks are plenty happy doing what they do, they still tend to have little mental snippets about "why" they do something.

Part of that rationalization for a small subset of that group is going on the internet to tell those stories. Part of that rationalization for "shaving legs" for roadies might be a plethora of "road rash, culture, looks". Instead of just saying "because I like it"

The #1 time I actually come across this "race you" thing is when I'm running. I run for some "balance" to my exercise. I'm not remotely quick at it at all, but given the bike racing I'm not super slow either. I'll typically do a 10k in the 8:30/mi range for some "sweetspot/tempo" running. It never fails you go to pass that one Boston runner who's on more of a "volume" run in the slower range and they can't resist dialing up the stupid to 11 for a 1/2 mile to show you up. I just let em go. I've also been running up some of the hills where some folks not gifted at climbing on bikes will give themselves a heart attack to prevent you as a runner passing them up a hill.

It's super rare I "give in" because doing so would typically ruin a planned workout. And I'd rather win my TT than beat some schmuck on a training ride.
Old 06-30-21, 09:12 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Wrong on most counts. Nothing triggers a racer boy than seeing a bent ahead of him. Locally I have caused them to bust a gut so to speak, riding up a hill into a 35 mph wind.
Old 06-30-21, 09:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 3,387 Times in 1,714 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Only thing that triggers me is an E-Bike. If I see an E-Bike I have to drop it.
How does that work out for you?

You may have awesome anaerobic power, strong competitive spirit, and grit.

But an E-Bike has a button.

I tried to pace a 'bent rider up a climb recently. Soon, I was at my "can't keep this up much longer" pace. He just casually pedaled away.

Turns out, he recently had added the power option to his 'bent (hard to tell by looking at it, all 'bents look weird). At the regroup, I asked him how much power it could generate.

His answer: "Anything from 0 to 800 watts".

Might as well have been chasing a car.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-30-21 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-30-21, 09:28 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Part of that rationalization for "shaving legs" for roadies might be a plethora of "road rash, culture, looks". Instead of just saying "because I like it"
How it started, how it's going...you've encapsulated it perfectly.
Old 06-30-21, 10:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Wrong on most counts. Nothing triggers a racer boy than seeing a bent ahead of him. Locally I have caused them to bust a gut so to speak, riding up a hill into a 35 mph wind.
Nope. This hasnt happened.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-30-21, 10:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Part of that rationalization for "shaving legs" for roadies might be a plethora of "road rash, culture, looks". Instead of just saying "because I like it"
'cause my legs are ******' sexy.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-30-21, 10:13 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Whilst posted as a humorous suggestion to the OP, most E-Bikes I encounter seem to cut out assist about 20 mph. Although it takes a bit of effort, it is not that difficult to leave one behind. The ones that assist up to 28 mph or are unregulated, however are a different story!
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 06-30-21, 10:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts

I have chased cars, it almost never works out, but I keep hoping one of them will watch me in their mirror and crash into a tree.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-30-21, 11:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have chased cars, it almost never works out, but I keep hoping one of them will watch me in their mirror and crash into a tree.
Very interesting you mention this. Just this morning while getting in some miles, I decided to just hammer it from a green light. A 2nd gen Equinox that was sitting at that light didn't seem to like eating a cyclists dust, so they nailed it. As they passed, I could see the driver's face as they were mirror driving after a 2' passing of me. With a slight curve in the road, the driver came really close in doing a curb check.
Old 06-30-21, 11:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts

You may have awesome anaerobic power, strong competitive spirit, and grit.

I tried to pace a 'bent rider up a climb recently. Soon, I was at my "can't keep this up much longer" pace. He just casually pedaled away.

Turns out, he recently had added the power option to his 'bent (hard to tell by looking at it, all 'bents look weird). At the regroup, I asked him how much power it could generate.

His answer: "Anything from 0 to 800 watts".

When I encounter one, I attempt to drop it as fast as I can. Those things are heavy! I can get it up above my head to put it on a roof rack, but not for long. It will come crashing down.
Old 06-30-21, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
a racer boy.
Are you saying females can't race or how about those not gender affiliated or someone Trans like Molly Cameron (a CX racer and bike shop owner who is trans)? Why do they have to be boys all the time? The future is female. But hey yeah race up the hill and beat all the "racer boys" that you encountered in your imagination while the "racer girls" and those who race and do affiliate with gender are going to be at the top not feeling the need to race a barcalounger on wheels.
Old 06-30-21, 10:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,365 Times in 2,797 Posts
You have to understand that probably less than 2% of cyclist think that racing is a big deal.
Yeah, the second most popular sport in Europe, behind soccer, is cycling. Amazing to go to bars there and seeing them packed with people watching cycling. Watching the TdF this year and the crowds are back. They must be the less than 2%. And exactly where do you get your figures from? I am guessing it is a very dark place.

Old 06-30-21, 10:16 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
...Do I just not look racy enough...
What makes you think they even see you?
Old 06-30-21, 11:28 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
What makes you think they even see you?
He's not riding a 'bent.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-01-21, 12:17 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 427 Posts
The other day two roadies tried dropping me on my gravel bike (I had gravel slicks on), so I upp'ed my cadence and drafted them for a few miles until we hit a stop sign, at which point they looked gassed out and I just kept on going. Actually I was also gassed out keeping up with them and burned energy I was planning to save for a hill climb! On my way to the hill, a roadie on a titanium bike left me in the dust, since I was still recovering from racing the other pair of roadies!

Nothing is more fun than imaginary bragging rights! Lol
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 07-01-21, 04:00 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I have been following cycling professionals for 40 years. To enjoy the sport you need to learn the sport and follow the riders. In today’s world it’s easy with YouTube and Twitter and Instagram.
I enjoy watching riders at the top of their game. I will never be able to ride as fast as they do but I do ride the courses on Rouvy. So I know the effort requires to ride up the climbs and roads in the tour.
Old 07-01-21, 05:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
^^^ Is Rouvy like Zwift in that the "climbs" are about half as difficult as real life? Even if that's the case, it's cool to get even a taste of what they experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.