Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 04:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I don't know what you're talking about, The original statement came in post 122 my response was post 123, and the clarification in post 130.
Your assertion was disproved. Take your medicine and stop wasting our time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-06-21, 04:15 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Your assertion was disproved. Take your medicine and stop wasting our time.
My assertion that a lighter bike will be faster on level ground because of a decrease in rolling resistance? OK.
Old 07-06-21, 04:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,285 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Except that you could be dramatically faster over non-hilly courses by adding weight.
​​​​
Specifically, by riding a fully faired recumbent.
No, no, no, no, no. You do not get faster by adding weight -- you get faster by improving the aerodynamics, the cost of which is (likely) to be a higher weight.
Old 07-06-21, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

My assertion that a lighter bike will be faster on level ground because of a decrease in rolling resistance? OK.
Okay, since nobody disputed that, what are you talking about?
No, your assertion that anyone disputed that.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 04:19 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
you get faster by improving the aerodynamics, the cost of which is (likely) to be a higher weight.

Water is wet, film at 11
Old 07-06-21, 04:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It's briefly entertaining to watch someone who has staked out an untenable position as they twist and turn and act smugly condescending trying to brazen their way out of it. But only briefly.

Old 07-06-21, 04:32 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Okay, since nobody disputed that, what are you talking about?
No, your assertion that anyone disputed that.
"Riding on nominally flat terrain I wouldn't expect to pick up any time on a lighter bike."
Old 07-06-21, 04:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

"Riding on nominally flat terrain I wouldn't expect to pick up any time on a lighter bike."
I cannot believe you tried to pull that s*** again after being called on it.

YOU CANNOT EXTRACT A SINGLE SENTENCE FROM A POST TO CLAIM THE POSTER DENIED AN ASSERTION WHEN HE AGREES WITH THE ASSERTION IN THE SAME POST. It makes your entire point self-refuting.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 04:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

So are you withdrawing your "clarification" that you knew the person who posted that did not mean that there was no speed difference?

​​​​ You already got busted doing this out of context quoting, now you're just making an ass of you by repeating it.

So would this drive you nuts? "It was absolutely dark in the room. There was a small red LED glowing on a charger but it wasn't bright enough to see anything."

I'm sure you'd post several times scolding the writer that that wasn't absolute darkness because there's some light, and how dare he contradict himself.

Seriously, that's the absurd level you're arguing at.
Old 07-06-21, 05:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My bike weighs 30-35 lbs depending on what I am carrying.

I wish it weighed 15 lbs.

You ride 1220km on a 30-35 lb bike?? Maybe you should START obsessing about bike weight.
Old 07-06-21, 07:08 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
You ride 1220km on a 30-35 lb bike?? Maybe you should START obsessing about bike weight.
Maybe you should re-read the part where they specifically said it depended what they were carrying, then think about what it would make sense to bring on a 1220 km ride.

If it's going on the ride it counts - being part of the bike vs strapped to it vs worn by the rider vs part of the rider only really matters if the location adds a specific extra cost. Most seem to feel weight on the frame beats weight on your back for example.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-06-21 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-06-21, 07:21 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Are you saying your Giant FCR3500 weighs 15kg?
Yep. Just checked it again this morning to confirm. Including the rack, handlebar and trunk bag, and fenders, it's pretty much spot on 15kg.
Old 07-06-21, 07:31 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I have to ride a recumbent nowadays due to age related spine issues. They are pigs. The basic bike is close to 30 pounds but my CdA is down around 0.150-160 m^2......that is where the real savings are.....imagine how fast such a bike is.....you'd think GhostRider himself blew by you.....LOL. Light weight is nice on hills. The video model is a bit of joke but it is true, weight isn't as important as we would like to think. My upright bikes weigh 16-18 lbs but it isn't all that hard to get an upright down to 15 lbs with money
Old 07-06-21, 09:56 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have to ride a recumbent nowadays due to age related spine issues. They are pigs. The basic bike is close to 30 pounds but my CdA is down around 0.150-160 m^2......that is where the real savings are.....imagine how fast such a bike is.....you'd think GhostRider himself blew by you.....LOL. Light weight is nice on hills. The video model is a bit of joke but it is true, weight isn't as important as we would like to think. My upright bikes weigh 16-18 lbs but it isn't all that hard to get an upright down to 15 lbs with money

Yeah I've ridden with some recumbents where I had to work to keep up. I imagine there's some energy savings from a more supported body position as well.
Old 07-06-21, 11:18 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
Yep. Just checked it again this morning to confirm. Including the rack, handlebar and trunk bag, and fenders, it's pretty much spot on 15kg.
When people compare bike weight, they are usually referring to just the bike, and don't include any add-ons like the rack, handlebar and trunk bag, and fenders.
Old 07-06-21, 11:36 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 245 Posts
When people compare bike weight, they are usually referring to just the bike, and don't include any add-ons like the rack, handlebar and trunk bag, and fenders.
Not sure why. If you're riding with them they add to the bike's weight. Regardless, such things barely add 2kg to my bike's weight - it's hardly a featherweight even completely 'naked'.

Regardless, I have no desire to go lighter. My bike rides perfectly well as is, is reasonably fast, and I don't have to worry about carbon fibre's much greater likelihood of getting damaged even by minor incidents as compared to aluminum / steel.
Old 07-07-21, 07:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

And therein lies a bunch of fallacies about the importance of bike weight. Obviously, the heavier the add-ons, the less important differences in the weight of the actual bikes as that difference is a smaller percentage of the vehicle's gross weight (rider + bike + add-ons).
Old 07-07-21, 08:06 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Not sure why (it's common to quote bike weights without add-ons).
Because it then becomes easy to compare different bikes.

When you go for a medical checkup, do they weigh you wearing clothes, shoes, jacket, and carrying keys + wallet?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-07-21, 10:49 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

You should do you, and I should do me.

I obsess over weight on more than just bicycles. I obsessed on weight on the van build. I obsessed over weight on travel trailer. I obsessed with weight on backpacking equipment.
I wear work boots some days, I wear running shoes some days. I definitely do not like running in heavy work boots. I definitely do not like hiking in running shoes. But for a lightweight over of ankle supporting boots for hiking, I will obcess.

Go green. Lighten your load. Use less fuel!
Old 07-07-21, 10:53 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
I don't have to worry about carbon fibre's much greater likelihood of getting damaged even by minor incidents as compared to aluminum / steel.
Why would you worry about something that is non-existent?
Old 07-07-21, 10:59 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts

On flat ground, the lighter bike will have lower rolling resistance and so will be faster. Is the difference significant? That depends on each person's definition of significant. However one defines it though, the difference is there.

Yep, 30 seconds every 100 miles and I would wager that most of that 30 seconds was from the elevation change on that route (500 m) because of course it wasn't perfectly flat. That's the great thing about physics. You don't have to guess whether or not something is worth having. Remember this is dropping 2kg off your bike, not some trivial amount. So just to be clear I would NOT expect to pick up any SIGNIFICANT time on a flat course with a lighter bike. Is that more reasonable for you?
Old 07-07-21, 11:52 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Ondrej Sosenka set a Merckx-style (conventional handlebars, no aero equipment) hour record in 2005 on a velodrome while riding an unusually heavy track bike. It's likely that the heavier bike proved to be faster than lighter versions in test rides. Otherwise, why use it?

From this page:

"In his attempt, Sosenka was using a 54 x 13 gearing, a 3.2-kg (7-pound) wheel and 190-mm cranks, with his bike weighing a total of 9.8 kg (21.6 pounds). The reason for the heavy wheel was that although it was harder to get up to speed, it was easy to maintain it."

By the way, I suspect that whatever benefit was conferred by the use of the heavier wheel, the effect would have been the same regardless of whether the wheels were heavier than usual or not, as long as the overall weight of the bike was still 21.6 pounds. Or maybe not. No idea whether the flywheel effect is significant at the rotational speeds and weights encountered in such circumstances.

Last edited by Trakhak; 07-07-21 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 12:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Ondrej Sosenka set a Merckx-style (conventional handlebars, no aero equipment) hour record in 2005 on a velodrome while riding an unusually heavy track bike. It's likely that the heavier bike proved to be faster than lighter versions in test rides. Otherwise, why use it?

From this page:

"In his attempt, Sosenka was using a 54 x 13 gearing, a 3.2-kg (7-pound) wheel and 190-mm cranks, with his bike weighing a total of 9.8 kg (21.6 pounds). The reason for the heavy wheel was that although it was harder to get up to speed, it was easy to maintain it."

By the way, I suspect that whatever benefit was conferred by the use of the heavier wheel, the effect would have been the same regardless of whether the wheels were heavier than usual or not, as long as the overall weight of the bike was still 21.6 pounds. Or maybe not. No idea whether the flywheel effect is significant at the rotational speeds and weights encountered in such circumstances.
From my own non-scientific experience with some heavy areo wheels I borrowed from a friend many years ago, and used for a few crits, the flywheel effect felt pretty real. Those wheels were a bit sluggish to get spinning, but when speeds got north of 30mph, they just wanted to keep going. Winding them up to a full sprint at 40+mph was super fun. I liked them if there was a good long drag to the finish line. If the final corner was less than 200m from the line, I preferred something that felt a little quicker to accelerate.
Old 07-07-21, 12:55 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
From my own non-scientific experience with some heavy areo wheels I borrowed from a friend many years ago, and used for a few crits, the flywheel effect felt pretty real. Those wheels were a bit sluggish to get spinning, but when speeds got north of 30mph, they just wanted to keep going. Winding them up to a full sprint at 40+mph was super fun. I liked them if there was a good long drag to the finish line. If the final corner was less than 200m from the line, I preferred something that felt a little quicker to accelerate.
Yep, a bit like ummmm.. a flywheel!
Old 07-07-21, 03:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,285 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
There's no maybe -- it's not the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.