Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early Alu Track frames, rare?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 08:55 AM
WillBradley1

Bikes: Sid Standard Superbe (1981) - Benotto Modello 1700 Pista (1976) - DBS damesykkel (1960)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi there,

Ive recently taken a curiosity into early aluminium frames for a new project and in the end I had found a Peugeot Comete which I bought, very excited for it to arrive. But while searching Ive noticed that early aluminium track frames seem very rare, with only a couple of Vitus 979 examples showing on an initial search. Im assuming lots of people can prove this wrong!

Would love to see any examples if people have them, or maybe know why they seem quite rare?
Old 07-07-21, 10:17 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
the Vitus piste frames were rare enough.
The majority of track frames were for sprint or mass start races.
Frames like the Vitus were probably best for pursuit work, a much smaller market.

Cannondale did some later, and MAYBE Klein.
Old 07-07-21, 01:21 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts

Alan Pista, brochure from 1983. I'm sure some years before these were used on the track.
Old 07-07-21, 01:28 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by WillBradley1
or maybe know why they seem quite rare?
I don't think Alu frames were NJS certified. That alone would limit numbers.
Old 07-07-21, 04:16 PM
WillBradley1

Bikes: Sid Standard Superbe (1981) - Benotto Modello 1700 Pista (1976) - DBS damesykkel (1960)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Frames like the Vitus were probably best for pursuit work, a much smaller market..
What makes aluminium frames less suited for the sprinting? + suited for pursuit and the more common aluminium road frames?
Old 07-07-21, 04:18 PM
WillBradley1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice! Im surprised there arnt more of these type of frames around, I guess is was a small window before innovation moved onto carbon?
Old 07-07-21, 07:14 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by WillBradley1
What makes aluminium frames less suited for the sprinting? + suited for pursuit and the more common aluminium road frames?
The comment was made in reference to the Vitus frames which used standard diameter metric tubing, The resulting frames were quite whippy., which is not the characteristic you want in a sprint fame. It reduces responsiveness to both pedal and steering input. Oversize aluminum frames solve this issue and are in a different league.
Old 07-08-21, 06:29 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Whippy?....Aluminum frames from the 80's can certainly perform just as good or better than steel frames......
Just ask Sean Kelly, one of the best pro sprinters in the field in the 80's, did it on Vitus 979s......
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 07-08-21, 07:28 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Yes, they're rare, if for no other reason than that when aluminum breaks, it usually can't be fixed.
To fix something, it’s gotta first be made. To me it’s a matter of money. How many track frames are made annually vs road? For a big makers, why tie up expensive tooling on your lowest volume product? For a small maker, aluminum would likely be a non starter for any frame due to cost , and space limitations.
Old 07-08-21, 12:44 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Whippy?....Aluminum frames from the 80's can certainly perform just as good or better than steel frames......
Just ask Sean Kelly, one of the best pro sprinters in the field in the 80's, did it on Vitus 979s......
don't ya know, the bike "planed".
Old 07-08-21, 12:52 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The comment was made in reference to the Vitus frames which used standard diameter metric tubing, The resulting frames were quite whippy., which is not the characteristic you want in a sprint fame. It reduces responsiveness to both pedal and steering input. Oversize aluminum frames solve this issue and are in a different league.
It has been a while, but I recall the Alan frames being equal to standard diameters, the Vitus as I recall had a standard diameter seat tube, an oversized top tube and I forget on the downtube.

They did flex more. though less than the Alan.
On the track, I was so happy when I moved to steel bars and stem. Just felt more secure, not faster per se, but no anxiety that I was going to break something during a jump. no creaking. assurance.
My favorite track bike used PS tubing and the 24mm fork blades. Don't ask what it weighed. I did not want to know. Still don't.