Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Giro

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pinarello Giro

Old 07-08-21, 04:59 PM
Berko

Bikes: Pinarello x4, Merida, Parkpre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Pinarello xxx: Help needed to identify a Pinarello

I need help to identify my bike.

So I bought this rather sorry looking, tatty old Pinarello frameset off ebay, I got it fairly cheap.

The seller believedt it is a Giro, which I can not find any information about, apart from an old ad from steel vintage dot com

Well, this was white, at some point. And a Pinarello. But that is pretty much it, comparing mine to the only one I can find.

If anyone cares to have a look this is my only reference:

Now. The seller claims my bike was made 93 or 94, as sort of a hommage for the wins by Franco Chioccioli. Fair enough.
Anyone know when this model ”Giro” was produced?

It has 130mm rear O.L.D which contradicts, by what I have learned so far - looking at different Pinarellos from the alleged 90’s era;
Campagnolo dropouts, front and rear.
Fully chromed fork with just the GPT pantogram at the top of the blades.

Some of the original decals were barely visible through the ”restauration paint” some previous owner sprayed with, it had PInarello on all 3 tubes, the 80’s font, that has slightly wider letters, with a little softer edges,
and another one on the chainstay. Or the other side, can’t remember which now, I removed all the paint from it.

Chainstay is chromed.

Furthermore, it has flush bottle cage mounts on the seat tube. Initially I thought someone made them in their garage, until I learned from this forum, it was quite normal.

Integrated rear brake cable routing, going in and out on top of the tube.

It did have the chrome Olympic head badge (sticker)

Double P logo sticker on the DT, just above the shifter bosses.

The rear brake mount is not the round tube, rather the sculpted one, with pinarello stamped across it.

Others have looked at the pictures and said it was one of the expensive models. Idk, I bought it vecause it is a Pinarello, and I have gathered a bit of a collectuon of them now. (4)

Until I can post pictures, I hope to attract the interest of an helpful expert.

oh yeah, the frame is a 58cm ctc, and I weighed it about 1940g. (Not entirely accurate, weighed on a kitchen scale. It is good for my wife, while baking cakes, but apparently not so good for weighing dirty old bike frames on) (when she caught me ”in the act”, all I could think was s-1) but she was cool.

No frame material sticker has survived. I could see remnants of glue, so I have an idea about where they sat.

Oh, and the cables run over, or under, the bb shell, there is a piece of metal to guide them, so they can wear out the last L in Pinarello.

the frame number is G4089, frame and fork.

I don’t doubt the seller, I only want confirmation, and I would be really pleased if I was shown a few photos of what the bike looked like when new, along with any other information. Spec sheets, correct decals, etc. Anything.

I am not rebuilding it to be fully original, I am going 18 speeds and ergolevers, and other Campy stuff, because it is what I have in the garage. Like a tasteful makeover, with custom paint and color scheme.

Much appriciate any advice.

Last edited by Berko; 01-31-22 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Changing topic title
Old 07-08-21, 05:29 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
If you can upload some pictures to your album, a friendly forum member will be able to post them for you.

There's not much Pinarello documentation available post 1990, so it gets a bit tricky identifying models and years.

There's this one on SVB: https://steel-vintage.com/pinarello-...ng-bike-detail

And another one: https://vintagevelore-cycling.com/pr...inarello-giro/

This is allegedly '94 with Columbus EL-OS tubing: https://www.carousell.sg/p/pinarello...94-1063509377/

130mm OLD sounds right, the 90's heralded the 8 speed era, which required 130mm spacing.

Last edited by P!N20; 07-08-21 at 05:36 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 07-09-21, 08:48 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
IIRC, Pinarello switched over to dropouts that had the Pinarello name stamped on it (Not Campagnolo), around 1988 or 89. Which leads me to think that your frameset might be older than what the former owner thought it to be. Maybe the rear triangle was cold set wider from 126 to 130?
Old 07-09-21, 11:30 PM
Berko

Originally Posted by Chombi1
IIRC, Pinarello switched over to dropouts that had the Pinarello name stamped on it (Not Campagnolo), around 1988 or 89. Which leads me to think that your frameset might be older than what the former owner thought it to be. Maybe the rear triangle was cold set wider from 126 to 130?
I found another clue yesterday. I added some photos to my album. The remnants of the fork sticker says ML 34, so apparently the bike is made by Oria ML 34 tubing. Fork and frame numbers match.

So then. Which Pinarello was made by Oria ML 34 tubing, had integral brake cable, entry and exit on top of the tube, Campy dropouts, that Pinarello brake brace, and possibly 130 OLD?
Oh, and Pinarello stickers on all 3 main tubes, only one Pinarello signature decal, double P on the HT and another Pinarello decal opposite the chainstay?

Oria ML 34 points toward a Banesto Pinarello. which would be cool, in a way, since I already have a genuine pro team Paris.
But I wanted to, at last, have a Pinarello in my favourite color. Which is not white.
Old 07-10-21, 03:32 AM
P!N20

Likes For P!N20:
Old 07-10-21, 03:45 AM
P!N20

More pictures here if anyone's interested: https://bikeforums.net/g/album/21873937

Certainly appears to be from the Banesto era. The serial number is in a different format than the 80's Pinarellos. A lot of the Banesto bikes had a fully chromed rear triangle - but I guess that doesn't mean there weren't some exceptions. Strange that the dropouts are stamped Campagnolo instead of Pinarello, but I guess it's a small detail.

Great frame, interested in seeing what you do to it.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 07-10-21, 08:45 AM
Berko

Thanks! . Much appriciated.

Well I will put some love into it, and equip it with what matches the frame type, and my wallet. I.w. No carbon.

i havw gathered most of ehat I need. Just need to clean, polish and tlc everything, so they work as well as they did when new.

I need to order some stickers, I will go custom color on them. I will order replacements for what was on it, but the Oria stickers will be different. He doesn’t have the square stickers.

i will get then from cyclemondo.
Likes For Berko:
Old 07-11-21, 09:18 AM
Berko

Originally Posted by P!N20
More pictures here if anyone's interested: https://bikeforums.net/g/album/21873937

Certainly appears to be from the Banesto era. The serial number is in a different format than the 80's Pinarellos. A lot of the Banesto bikes had a fully chromed rear triangle - but I guess that doesn't mean there weren't some exceptions. Strange that the dropouts are stamped Campagnolo instead of Pinarello, but I guess it's a small detail.

I updated my gallery with the last pictures of howit looks before the paintjob. I gave it to a local guy who is a talented painter, we’ll see what the end result will be. I hope I picked the right color, it is difficult to imagine already how it will turn out
it will not be a standard Pinarello color, similar to what they have used, but with a personal twist. May as well, because I probably can’t ever sell the bike anyway. (It will be way too expensive)
Old 07-12-21, 06:16 AM
Chombi1 

I'm guessing that they maybe just found a few left over Campy stamped dropouts in one of their frame parts bins and decided to use them up?
As for not having a fully chromed rear triangle. After 1988, the amount of chrome on Pinarellos seemed to have started to lessen, just like they had been for many othe bike manufacturers, so seeing less chrome on this early 90's bike is not really that unusual. My 1988 Montello has both a chromed fork and rear triangle. It was made pretty much when Pinarellos had the most chrome on them.
Old 07-17-21, 07:16 AM
Berko

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I'm guessing that they maybe just found a few left over Campy stamped dropouts in one of their frame parts bins and decided to use them up?
As for not having a fully chromed rear triangle. After 1988, the amount of chrome on Pinarellos seemed to have started to lessen, just like they had been for many othe bike manufacturers, so seeing less chrome on this early 90's bike is not really that unusual. My 1988 Montello has both a chromed fork and rear triangle. It was made pretty much when Pinarellos had the most chrome on them.
could be. But a brand like Pinarello doesn’t strike as the ”let’s see what we can find in the scrap bin, and cobble them together” kind of a brand, does it?
As for the amount of chrome, well I don’t know. Chrome isn’t especially expensive, so wether anyone uses more or less of it, isn’t really a budget breaker.

Look at all the Ching-Pow Knockoff anythings. Loads and loads of chrome. The more chrome one can see on any one of those products, when it is not needed, the further one should get away from them.

That’s way OT.

Anyone recognise this frame?
Old 07-17-21, 02:04 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by Berko
could be. But a brand like Pinarello doesn’t strike as the ”let’s see what we can find in the scrap bin, and cobble them together” kind of a brand, does it?
As for the amount of chrome, well I don’t know. Chrome isn’t especially expensive, so wether anyone uses more or less of it, isn’t really a budget breaker.

Look at all the Ching-Pow Knockoff anythings. Loads and loads of chrome. The more chrome one can see on any one of those products, when it is not needed, the further one should get away from them.

That’s way OT.

Anyone recognise this frame?
I think what really killed chrome off steel bikes was the highly polluting/toxic process it takes to produce it. You still maybe see it on cheap steel bikes most likely because they come from countries will less strict anti-pollution laws.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 07-17-21, 02:42 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,104 Times in 1,954 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing the paint job!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 07-18-21, 09:00 AM
Berko

Can’t decide. Black handlebar ok? There won’t be anything else black on the bike.

Oh, yes. I will fit Lugano 2 on it. I know they are not very good. I had them collecting dust, and they look the part, don’t they?

Last edited by Berko; 07-18-21 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 10:21 AM
Berko

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I am looking forward to seeing the paint job!
​​​​​​​

Base paint finished. Waiting for stickers, got to fill in some black details. Decals, clearcoat, assembly and hang it on the wall.

Last edited by Berko; 07-25-21 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-11-21, 05:55 AM
Berko

Dang it. Got the seat tube sticker a bit askew. What would you lot do? Tear it off (possibly along qith some paint) or pretend it didn’t happen and clearcoat the frame.

Not centered 100%

Chrome signature...
Old 09-11-21, 06:31 AM
Berko

Double post
Old 09-11-21, 07:24 AM
Berko

Originally Posted by onyerleft
I wouldn't touch the askew Pinarello sticker. If anyone notices, just say, "eh, those Italians, you know!"
😂 You are right. I doubt anyone but me will even notice if I don’t say anything.
Old 09-11-21, 07:15 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by Berko
Dang it. Got the seat tube sticker a bit askew. What would you lot do? Tear it off (possibly along qith some paint) or pretend it didn’t happen and clearcoat the frame.
Doesn't look too bad from where I'm sitting, which probably means it's not going to be detected on the road. @onyerleft is right, plenty of crooked decals came out of the factory.

Like the colour combo.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 09-11-21, 09:16 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Funny, but the frame looks a lot like my Gavia. Course that’s TSX, no chrome fork and chrome on both chain stays. Lugs and BB cluster look identical though.
Old 09-12-21, 01:28 AM
Berko

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Funny, but the frame looks a lot like my Gavia. Course that’s TSX, no chrome fork and chrome on both chain stays. Lugs and BB cluster look identical though.
I have been trying to figure out what model it is, but nothing. Came here for help about that.
Misleading topic title, but I am not able to change it, Originally I did believe the claim it was a Giro, but I don’t think so anymore.
Someone here must know a lot more.

I only know it is no older than about 1994, since the frame and fork are made out of Oria ML34 tubing. (Original sticker on fork leg) Not many models of Pinarello were made of ML34. It is not a Banesto replica, What really throws me off is the fact it has Campy dropouts. Apparently Pinarello didn’t use them after 80 something. Must have been one hell of a parts bin scavenge hunt.

Last edited by Berko; 09-12-21 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-12-21, 01:41 AM
Berko

Doesn't look too bad from where I'm sitting, which probably means it's not going to be detected on the road. @onyerleft is right, plenty of crooked decals came out of the factory.

Like the colour combo.
Thanks. I like the way it turned out too. I didn’t see any of the colours in person beforehand, only photos of the blue. Decals are custom made by Greg at Cyclomondo. Top guy, I was not an easy customer, I could only describe what I wanted and he sorted me out. He went out of his way to mix and match, email back and forth, to meet my wishes.

I wish I can present it properly when it is finished. It really is gorgeous.

The yellow is a metallic found on some Italian supercars. I believe it is called FLY, but my paint guy had it mixed so that it shifts towards blue, rather than green.

Last edited by Berko; 09-12-21 at 01:50 AM.