Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic cassette hub spacer hack

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-22-20, 07:38 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts

Thought I’d share this in case someone recognizes this as a blunder. I bought a used set of Mavic Aksium Elite wheels and tried to install a Shimano 9 speed cassette. I was missing a spacer. I read that the appropriate spacer is a 1.75 mm Mavic supplied spacer.

I have a spare 10 speed cassette with 15 tooth sprocket plate that measures approximately 1.6 mm. I used that sprocket plate as my spacer. The cassette tightened like it should on the hub. I think the hack worked. Any thoughts?

My initial thoughts were to use the temporary spacer to keep my build going and ASAP get the correct spacer but now I’m thinking what’s the hurry. Someday someone will wonder what happened to the missing sprocket plate.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-20, 08:29 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It's actually supposed to be 1.85 mm but a couple of .1's don't make much of a difference as you've seen.
Old 12-22-20, 09:21 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have used a loose cassette cog modified to the correct spacer width installed behind the cassette before - worked just fine. I see no issues if everything tightened down properly and you have good thread engagement on the cassette lockring.
Old 12-23-20, 03:42 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
Notches

The Mavic supplied spacer has a three notches in it. The notches stop the rivets on the back of the cassette from being crushed when mounting the cassette and provide for a stable mount to the hub.

Does it matter.... no idea.

Barry
Old 12-24-20, 10:06 AM
Sjtaylor

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
The cassette runs true on the hub and tightened up fine so I think the hack is good. I bought those Mavic wheels used and had to repair a few dents along the braking surfaces. I was able to true the wobble from both rims but there is a tiny bit of hop in both rims that I didn’t remove. I doubt I’ll feel any of it when I ride. As for the durability of the rims now I’m not sure but I put 32c tires on them and may go to 35c. The extra cushion will hopefully avoid further rim damage.
Old 12-26-20, 10:43 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
It's actually supposed to be 1.85 mm but a couple of .1's don't make much of a difference as you've seen.
Originally Posted by Barry2
The Mavic supplied spacer has a three notches in it. The notches stop the rivets on the back of the cassette from being crushed when mounting the cassette and provide for a stable mount to the hub.

Does it matter.... no idea.

Barry
I’m often full of useless information and the below is much along those lines.

The ‘old’ Mavic cassette spacer was a flat washer, 2mm thick, adjusting their freehubs down from 37mm to 35mm to accept Shimano cassettes. Shimano spacers meant to adapt 11 speed hubs to accept 8/9/10 speed cassettes are 1.85mm and have the notches to properly clear the rivets on some cassettes. I recall ages ago buying a riveted Performance Forte cassette and not being able to use on it on my Mavic Cosmos wheels due to the interference issue with the rivets.

I still have those wheels, now mounted on my 1984 Trek 660 with a Shimano 5800 11 speed cassette. Old, older, and new working nicely together.

Perhaps Mavic did make some notched spacers but I’ve never seen one.