Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Headset cap and bolt disappeared while on bike rack

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-26-20, 09:07 PM
Captain_Canada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi! had a bizarre experience for my Giant TCR headset cap/bolt. Somehow the headset bolt and cap worked their way off and fell off during a trip on my car bike rack (kuat).

Has anyone had this happen?

The spacer above the stem was still on there. So strange. I did lower the stem/put a spacer that was below the stem above it maybe 500 miles ago. I think I did everything right (fingertight on the headset cap first, then tightened the stem bolts with torque wrench).

Think there's any chance I lost anything else? I forget what it looked like without the cap. I can see a bearing and the hole where the bolt goes.

I'm seeing a number of stem caps/bolts available for sale online-any recommendations?
Old 12-26-20, 09:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Sounds like someone stole your baby bike bolt.
Old 12-26-20, 10:40 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Well, if your top cap was only on finger tight, it probably rattled loose from riding and fell off when the bike was turned and tilted while lifting it up at some point. I imagine your headset is probably loose also, if you did not properly add preload with the top cap after you moved the spacers around.
Old 12-26-20, 10:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7621 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
I tho0ught I might be the first with stollen baby bolts, but ....
Old 12-27-20, 04:30 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 363 Posts
Top cap bolt should be tight enough that there is no play but not so tight as to cause binding. Is there a little play in the fork now?

Once your stem is correctly torqued the top cap does nothing, apart from holding that the extra spacer.
Old 12-27-20, 09:53 AM
Captain_Canada

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sounds like someone stole your baby bike bolt.
Beware the Baby Bike Bolt Bandit

I'm sure it was on there when I loaded it on the bike rack. I drove 400 miles though and it must have worked itself loose. Thankfully looks like a cheap fix!
Old 12-27-20, 01:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
Sounds like you didn't have enough load on your topcap, which means it's actually good that it fell off: if you kept riding it like that, something might have been damaged.

Get a new stem cap and bolt, and read up on proper headset adjustment.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-27-20, 02:18 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Top cap bolt should be tight enough that there is no play but not so tight as to cause binding. Is there a little play in the fork now?

Once your stem is correctly torqued the top cap does nothing, apart from holding that the extra spacer.
The bike or headset will have a torque spec. If you loosen the stem to adjust the bars the cap maintains that torque spec until you tighten down the stem bolts again.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 12-27-20, 04:01 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 261 Posts
Um. After I tighten my stem I alway tighten the top cap bolt a bit. Was afraid it would come loose. Guess I made the correct choice. I just have to remember to redo the headset bearing preload if I loosen the stem for adjusting.
Old 12-27-20, 04:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
The bike or headset will have a torque spec. If you loosen the stem to adjust the bars the cap maintains that torque spec until you tighten down the stem bolts again.
No, the headset will not have a torque spec. The stem bolts and bar clamp bolts will. The only bike that has a torque spec for the headset is the Trek Domane w/ front Iso Speed.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-27-20, 04:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Um. After I tighten my stem I alway tighten the top cap bolt a bit. Was afraid it would come loose. Guess I made the correct choice. I just have to remember to redo the headset bearing preload if I loosen the stem for adjusting.
No. That is not the correct choice.

Loosen stem bolts, adjust headset with the topcap bolt, then torque the stem bolts. That's it.

Plenty of online tutorials which explain how to adjust the topcap bolt.
Old 12-27-20, 04:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit

Correct.

OP, if your bike was set up properly you can ride it as is. Get a replacement stem cap and bolt, unlikely you lost anything else if spacers are intact.

And the jokes about stollen baby bike bolts is a bit of BF history/pop culture.
Old 12-27-20, 05:10 PM
Captain_Canada

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Update for closure: I got a new cap and bolt for $8 from my bike shop. The mechanic showed me how tight the cap/bolt should be, and it was tighter than I thought fingertight was. Nothing was missing other than the cap and bolt.

Very happy that this lesson only cost me 8 bucks and a drive.
Likes For Captain_Canada:
Old 12-28-20, 08:29 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No, the headset will not have a torque spec. The stem bolts and bar clamp bolts will. The only bike that has a torque spec for the headset is the Trek Domane w/ front Iso Speed.
Chris King specifies a torque for the NoThreadSet top cap - it’s pretty low - 10-12 in.lb, IIRC.
Old 12-28-20, 03:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Chris King specifies a torque for the NoThreadSet top cap - it’s pretty low - 10-12 in.lb, IIRC.
It's 6-15in lbs. It's also step 2 of a 4 step process that ends w/:
4) C h e c k h e a d s e t f o r p r o p e r a d j u s t m e n t . W h e n p r o p e r l y a d j u s t e d , t h e fo r k w i l l ro t a t e smoothly without play or restriction. Some settling may occur after a few rides; readjust if necessary.

There are no torque values on bearing preload. You adjust 'properly' and that's it. They give a 6-15in lb value when initially putting everything together then finish w/ 'adjust it properly'. You might get away w/ somewhere in between 6 and 15 but you just don't know. I've been at this a looooong time and the only headset I've put a torque wrench on is the Domane Iso Speed.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-30-20, 07:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
It's 6-15in lbs. It's also step 2 of a 4 step process that ends w/:
4) C h e c k h e a d s e t f o r p r o p e r a d j u s t m e n t . W h e n p r o p e r l y a d j u s t e d , t h e fo r k w i l l ro t a t e smoothly without play or restriction. Some settling may occur after a few rides; readjust if necessary.

There are no torque values on bearing preload. You adjust 'properly' and that's it. They give a 6-15in lb value when initially putting everything together then finish w/ 'adjust it properly'. You might get away w/ somewhere in between 6 and 15 but you just don't know. I've been at this a looooong time and the only headset I've put a torque wrench on is the Domane Iso Speed.
6-15 in lbs = somewhere in the vicinity of 1Nm ? At that low of a value, I'd be guessing anyway as I lack a torque wrench that measures in this area.