Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike storage from joists

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike storage from joists

Old 02-05-21, 12:20 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Bike storage from joists

Hi- I know there’s a number of solutions for using bike hooks that are screwed into floor beams or walls. I’m looking for opinions on the idea of using pre-existing holes (formerly for plumbing) as shown in these pictures near the concrete wall of the basement.

These joists are 2x9&1/4, and are holes are 3 joists apart (each joist is 16” from the next one, but the two joists with the holes are 48” from each other).

Ideas on what type of hooks or strap I could employ to hang one bike from those holes? Concerns re: safety using those? Thoughts on whether it’d be worth it?

Old 02-05-21, 01:52 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Run a length of tubing through the hole, hang bikes by their saddles.
Ah, interesting- I was thinking only of horizontal hanging, not vertical. Thing is that the boards on between do NOT have those holes, so I can’t run something straight through from one to the other. But you think no concerns re: capacity for weight given where/how big they are?
Old 02-05-21, 02:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have always wanted to try one of these....https://www.amazon.com/flat-bike-lif.../dp/B00MJ26IS0
Old 02-05-21, 02:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
I think I would hang a pipe from those two holes (pipe below the joists). And then have hooks on the pipe to grab the front wheels.

Is this a rental where extra holes would be a problem?
Old 02-05-21, 02:30 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Ah, interesting- I was thinking only of horizontal hanging, not vertical. Thing is that the boards on between do NOT have those holes, so I can’t run something straight through from one to the other. But you think no concerns re: capacity for weight given where/how big they are?

If you ran a strap through the hole, and you and your buddies stood on it and bounced, it would be fine,

so hanging a bike will also work.
Old 02-05-21, 02:34 PM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think I would hang a pipe from those two holes (pipe below the joists). And then have hooks on the pipe to grab the front wheels.

Is this a rental where extra holes would be a problem?
Correct- would like to avoid more drilling
Old 02-05-21, 02:36 PM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by woodcraft
If you ran a strap through the hole, and you and your buddies stood on it and bounced, it would be fine,

so hanging a bike will also work.
thanks
Old 02-05-21, 02:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You could just run some simple nylon webbing through the hole, leaving a few inches below the bottom of the joist, and use that to hang the bike by the nose of the saddle.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-05-21, 02:41 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Anything that crosses the joists that close to the flooring above will make hanging parts of the bike on it very difficult. You could try using an inexpensive pulley hoist like this one sold by Harbor Freight Tool (SKU 99758 $16) to hoist the bike and hold it safely in place. Mount a section of pipe between the two joists and hang the pulley hoist from the pipe. The only thing left is to figure out what to use between the hoist and the bike and where to attach it on the bike. The advantage of this hoist over a standard bike lift is that both sides go up at the same time. My standard bike hoist is a PIA since one side always goes up before the other.

Old 02-05-21, 04:36 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Hi- I know there’s a number of solutions for using bike hooks that are screwed into floor beams or walls. I’m looking for opinions on the idea of using pre-existing holes (formerly for plumbing) as shown in these pictures near the concrete wall of the basement.

These joists are 2x9&1/4, and are holes are 3 joists apart (each joist is 16” from the next one, but the two joists with the holes are 48” from each other).

Ideas on what type of hooks or strap I could employ to hang one bike from those holes? Concerns re: safety using those? Thoughts on whether it’d be worth it?

couple of metal straps, 1” diam. pipe spanning the joists. You could hang and many bike as will fit. No problem
Old 02-05-21, 04:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
put a few u-locks thru the holes & ratchet strap the bicycles in place.
Old 02-05-21, 05:06 PM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by Troul
put a few u-locks thru the holes & ratchet strap the bicycles in place.
Interesting!
Old 02-05-21, 06:01 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I know that you stated that you wanted to avoid putting more holes in the wood (because it’s a rental?) but I can’t imagine that there’d be an issue with drilling a 3/16” or 1/4” pilot hole (or two) into those joists to allow you to screw in a couple of coated hooks to allow you to hang your bike.
Likes For sovende:
Old 02-05-21, 06:06 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I know that you stated that you wanted to avoid putting more holes in the wood (because it’s a rental?) but I can’t imagine that there’d be an issue with drilling a 3/16” or 1/4” pilot hole (or two) into those joists to allow you to screw in a couple of coated hooks to allow you to hang your bike.
Maybe the OP doesnt want to invest in the tools to make additional holes?
Old 02-05-21, 06:12 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Maybe the OP doesnt want to invest in the tools to make additional holes?
In soft pine, he wouldn’t even need to drill pilot holes! Everybody’s over thinking this project!
Likes For sovende:
Old 02-05-21, 06:31 PM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
Just use the P-Trap over on the left...
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 02-05-21, 08:01 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

you can find a large hook made for this. Extra bit of weight will not harm the joist in any way.
Old 02-05-21, 08:23 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I have always wanted to try one of these....https://www.amazon.com/flat-bike-lif.../dp/B00MJ26IS0
That's pretty cool

Old 02-05-21, 09:06 PM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by P.L.Jensen
Just use the P-Trap over on the left...
LOL, now that’s an idea!

Seriously, I was thinking the large hook over & through the holes method (like the kind of things that hang over a door, not the screw-in kind) and maybe the rope or strap with hooks on it idea...
hadn’t considered the pipe type solutions- like unterhausen said, hang a pipe from the holes and hang bikes on the pipe. That might be good.

It wouldn’t be a big problem to screw/drill normal holes for attaching typical bike hooks (like the Elfa rack/hook setup) either into one joist or the concrete wall (though I’d rather not buy an impact driver)... but it seemed to me like, these holes are already there, unused- why add more?
I’ll measure some more & shop around to narrow it down.
Old 02-05-21, 09:51 PM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
What about screwing a 2x4 to the underside of the joists as a starting point...???... Lots of options after that...
Old 02-06-21, 07:06 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Two lengths of pipe, insert one into each hole, couple them together in the middle.
Better yet 2 couplings in the middle with an additional nipple between them. That will allow the outside pipes to span a complete joist space.
Piece of dowel or similar to determine max length you can insert, measure space between, add a little for couplings, go to home store and get 2 threaded one end and the short threaded both ends.

I do something similar in the garage. House came with a length of 2" pipe in the garage rafters. I bent 3/8" rebar into S hooks, covered the ends in rubber hose and hang bikes, snow shovels, pretty much anything I can hang on a hook.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-08-21, 05:02 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 286 Posts
Lots of good suggestions. Perhaps a little field trip to a store where they have bikes hung that way(take pictures) would give you a frame of reference to evaluate them all.
Old 02-08-21, 08:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
LOL, now that’s an idea!

Seriously, I was thinking the large hook over & through the holes method (like the kind of things that hang over a door, not the screw-in kind) and maybe the rope or strap with hooks on it idea...
hadn’t considered the pipe type solutions- like unterhausen said, hang a pipe from the holes and hang bikes on the pipe. That might be good.

It wouldn’t be a big problem to screw/drill normal holes for attaching typical bike hooks (like the Elfa rack/hook setup) either into one joist or the concrete wall (though I’d rather not buy an impact driver)... but it seemed to me like, these holes are already there, unused- why add more?
I’ll measure some more & shop around to narrow it down.
So, maybe I'm missing something and didn't read carefully enough.... But you're worried about putting a similar hole in the undrilled middle joist so you could span a pipe through it and the two existing holes, but you'd consider putting holes in a concrete wall?

What's wrong with just screwing utility hooks into the underside of the joists and hanging the bike(s) by the wheels, which is the first thing that comes to mind when one sees joists and needs to store a bike?

And if they really need to be horizontal (I guess that means flat against the joists?), hang from the wheels, and swivel the bike up against the joists and just hold the saddle up there with a loop of bungee or a scrap of rope or web strap, whatever you happen to have.

You're too intent on using those holes, I think.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-08-21, 09:41 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
There are hooks designed to hold a ladder from a rafter. Should work with that hole in the joist, but might need to slightly modify the top to fit through the joist. They come in different widths so should work with fat tires if you need.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 02-09-21, 08:08 AM
Charliekeet

Originally Posted by Camilo
So, maybe I'm missing something and didn't read carefully enough.... But you're worried about putting a similar hole in the undrilled middle joist so you could span a pipe through it and the two existing holes, but you'd consider putting holes in a concrete wall?

What's wrong with just screwing utility hooks into the underside of the joists and hanging the bike(s) by the wheels, which is the first thing that comes to mind when one sees joists and needs to store a bike?

And if they really need to be horizontal (I guess that means flat against the joists?), hang from the wheels, and swivel the bike up against the joists and just hold the saddle up there with a loop of bungee or a scrap of rope or web strap, whatever you happen to have.

You're too intent on using those holes, I think.
That may be true. What I was thinking was not flat against the joists, but spanning them, sort of flat parallel to the WALL.
Honestly, re: the screwing upward hooks into the undersides... I just didn't think it was the most secure way to do it! I've never used those before and thought it would be more secure to use a loop of material to go through the hole than to trust the screw threads in the wood. Needless to say, I'm not an engineer, and It sounds like everyone who knows does it and trusts 'em.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.