Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Herniated disc on same steep climb

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-07-21, 07:16 PM
jojoma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

15 months ago on an 18% section of a climb grinding in the saddle, I herniated (I think) a disc in my lower back. The pain was so sharp and intense I had to stop immediately and go home. After about a month of rehab and recovery, things were fine and the past year has been ok. Lots of training, but no back blowups. I even got over the mental issue of fearing my back might go out. Until today. In a dejavu moment, on the same stretch of climb, the same thing happened. A bomb went off in my lower back, in I'd say the L4/L5 area, causing me to immediately unclip and stand motionless for about three minutes. Good thing I was close to home and it was all downhill.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Should I pursue surgery?

Thanks a lot for any insight.
Old 03-07-21, 07:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 6,319 Times in 3,658 Posts
We aren't doctors on here. I suggest that you talk to one about surgery or other options.

Old 03-07-21, 07:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Don’t rush into surgery, because it is no panacea and there is the potential for complications. I herniated a disc about 4 years ago and was immobile for about a month. Reduced activity for a year, but with the right physical therapist, I am back to 95% with little to no pain. Before I couldn’t walk stairs and could barely go 15 feet with crutches, the pain was so excruciating. What I learned was that I would never again do what I did which caused the injury (carrying 300 lbs of wet dirt in a wheel barrow down a very steep incline and then walking it about 300 yards down another incline to dump it. I learned my lesson and with that kind of pain (morphine in the ER did NOTHING).

All injuries are not alike but good therapy and knowledge about what hurts you might serve you well. You can and probably should seek medical attention but keep in mind not every surgeon will turn away potential profit unless they are highly ethical. I would find friends in your area that have had back injuries for recommendations of an ethical and principled surgeon. I’m sure glad i did.

Old 03-07-21, 07:43 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I blew out a disc when I was in my mid-40's working for Uncle Sam in a foreign country. Adrenaline got me through the moment, but then I crashed. Pain brought tears to my eyes and I couldn't breathe or stand up. I never had the surgery and on rare occasions it will still flare up on me, but I haven't jumped out of a plane since then either. I'm 71 now and still going strong, despite living foolishly. Do what you feel is best for you, but like someone else mentioned, surgery isn't a panacea. Good luck.
Old 03-07-21, 07:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
if your seat is set to high, it will rock the hips & your body will follow. Make sure you are not rockin while you're rollin.

Slow steady stretches always something that helps sooth a back issue when it pops up.
ymmv
Old 03-07-21, 09:40 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Bad back from my 20's due to hard manual labor jobs. As I got older these hard labor jobs finally made my back so bad that I had to change professions. I've blown out my back a bunch of times, crawled on the floor to go to the bathroom. All the highlight moments of treating your back like toilet paper. Discussed surgery a couple of times with doctors. Doctors told me I was better off letting it heal and stop doing whatever I was doing to hurt myself. In my late 60's and my back is not real good but I work all the time and it doesn't hurt day in and day out. I keep all my physical output within the limits my back sets. As rsbob also noted, I can't do what I once did at all. I don't miss the back pain either.
Old 03-08-21, 01:22 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I had a bad L4-L5 experience a few years ago (near fatal seizure which cause my back to collapse and etc.).

My wife is a surgical nurse who works with orthopedists. Want to know what my experience taught me that could be relevant to you? You'd be crazy to take medical advice from strangers on a bike forum. It's nice that we can share experiences, and perhaps gain some hope for recovery / treatment. But any problem with your back that causes you pain like that means you see a doctor. And not the country general practitioner type, either.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 03-08-21, 03:34 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Hmmm, last time I hit my hand with a hammer, it really hurt. Wonder what will happen this time, dang, ouch f... me that hurt.
If there's one thing I've figured out with backs, if something hurt my back last time, there's a damn good chance it'll do the same again, so just don't do that thing any more. If you insist on riding up that hill, change your gearing so you don't need to grind up, you need to change something in the configuration of the activity so the results aren't the same.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 03-08-21, 05:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
What does your orthopedist recommend?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-08-21, 06:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by jojoma
I herniated (I think) a disc in my lower back.
Since you don't actually know what is going on, I'd suggest seeing a doc before you cut on anything.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-08-21, 07:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Get a MRI could be a Bone Spur. I have Both Problems..

Old 03-08-21, 07:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
Don’t take the medical advice of some some internet forum as the last word.

Be sure to get a second opinion from another internet forum as well.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-08-21, 07:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Don’t take the medical advice of some some internet forum as the last word.

Be sure to get a second opinion from another internet forum as well.
Or ask your Bike Mechanic.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-09-21, 12:59 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
I herniated two or three disks when I was 21, now 43, from a motorcycle accident. While I have dealt with back related issues over the years, one thing that really helped me was realizing my hips were out of alignment too. I would get my back cracked from a chiropractor only to be back a few months later. My hips being out of alignment did not allow my back stay in its proper position. I chose physical therapy instead of surgery. If I were you, I would get an MRI and see a physical therapist/osteopath/massage therapist/chiropractor that deals with sports related injuries.

just recently my back feels like it popped back into place, a good thing, and I attribute it to riding my bike more. I only started riding a bicycle weekly 6 months ago. I’m still pretty new.

Also, get pants the next size up, make sure your underwear is not tight and buy some suspenders.

Belts and tight pants = pain
Old 03-09-21, 01:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
You trying to climb that 18% grade in the 53 front and 11 rear?<this is exaggeration and maybe sarcasm if you need to be clued in>

Usually that blows out knees, but if you already had back issues and are hunched up trying to pedal a ridiculously high gear ratio, then I might can see a herniated disc happening.
Old 03-09-21, 01:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Or ask your Bike Mechanic.
Good suggestion to ask a professional.
Old 03-09-21, 07:06 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10069 Post(s)
Liked 5,753 Times in 3,092 Posts
Herniated discs don’t hurt locally. They press on nerves and cause pain and weakness in the places where those nerves go.

The only legitimate purpose of disc surgery is to fix well defined nerve problems when conservative treatment is unlikely to succeed. It is never appropriate for “back pain.”
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-09-21, 09:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Hmmm, last time I hit my hand with a hammer, it really hurt. Wonder what will happen this time, dang, ouch f... me that hurt.
If there's one thing I've figured out with backs, if something hurt my back last time, there's a damn good chance it'll do the same again, so just don't do that thing any more. If you insist on riding up that hill, change your gearing so you don't need to grind up, you need to change something in the configuration of the activity so the results aren't the same.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-09-21, 10:53 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Sounds like you pulled or tore a muscle maybe?
Perhaps climb a different hill....
Old 03-10-21, 02:09 AM
totheDude

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Most of all, DON’T GO BACK TO THAT SAME HILL.
Old 03-10-21, 06:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I’d try that hill a third time just to be sure.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-10-21, 08:56 AM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Surgery is the action of last resort.
get it properly diagnosed and start with the most conservative treatment - which is probably rest and mild physio. Chiropractors are quacks.
be sure to follow any recommendations regarding prevention.