Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carrying a bike while trailering???

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-08-20, 12:21 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts

We have an Airstream travel trailer, a 25 foot Flying Cloud. The "authorized" rack for the back of the trailer is a Fiama bike rack. We ordered one, but there is a constant flow of complaints about failures in the Fiama structure that have made me gunshy. THE QUESTION IS: WHAT ALTERNATIVES DO I HAVE?

Here are some of the parameters I'm working with. We both have 30lb Trek bikes (2 x 30 = 60, the Fiama limit is 70). I'm mid 60s with a bad back, so lifting those bikes into a rack on top of my tow vehicle or on top of the bed is going to be a non-starter. We have a flush bed cover, so either that will have to be open if the bikes are in the back, or the bikes will need to go in a rack over the bed cover (again, back hurts just thinking about lifting 30 lbs over my shoulders).

Surely there are some alternatives? Here's what I've identified so far:

1. Put the bikes inside the trailer (these are big bikes!) where they'll bounce around and wreak havoc.
2. Put a hitch receiver on the back of the trailer for my existing platform bike rack (my trusted hitch guy said he won't do it because of "liability") (???)
3. Get a different (non-Fiama) rack installed on the AS
4. Get folding bikes that will either lighten the load on a bike rack or fit more easily inside the trailer or the bed of the truck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old 09-08-20, 12:31 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Is there an option for a hitch receiver on the back of the Airstream?

Edit: If hitch receiver is an option to tow, then it should be a viable option to secure a hitch rack.

I've been looking at Airstreams too. Me personally, I would put a hitch receiver on there (if that is a legitimate option to tow) and put my OneUp hitch rack on it.
Old 09-08-20, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
See Rinko , Japan only lets bikes on trains in a bag, so people who like their road bikes take them apart to be more manageable..

going to put a hitch receiver on back bumper get it very secure ,
I, on my bicycle , stopped pulled a whole family's bundle of bikes on a rack behind their trailer, out of the middle roadway
when the welding job failed & the whole rack fell off .

I heard it hit the road behind me.. someone else pulled along side them on the highway to tell them it fell off ..

Old 09-08-20, 12:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
We usually put our bikes on the tailgate. Sometimes we bring my wife’s Vespa, and then put them in the aisle. I suppose we could also put them on a roof rack

Old 09-08-20, 12:44 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
https://formufit.com/blogs/news/adju...pipe-bike-rack

Build something like this so you can roll the bikes into the trailer and tie them down.
Old 09-08-20, 12:48 PM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
What do you pull the trailer with? We have a front receiver on our pickup truck, pleased with it.
Likes For John Foster:
Old 09-08-20, 12:51 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
We had a travel trailer for a few years. Tremendous fun and great way to vacation. And we could bring our dogs with us.

Another idea: Install a hitch on the front of your truck and put a bike rack there. Check etrailer.com to see if one is available for your truck. I put a front hitch on my F250 so that I could back my boat into our garage. It was pretty easy to install.

A front hitch bike rack would be very easy to load. The main downside is that the bikes are fully exposed to the wind, so they're going to get dirtier, maybe a paint chip. But it seems like you'll have to compromise something in your situation.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 09-08-20, 01:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think I like the idea of finding a way of securing them inside the camper. They'd be less exposed to the elements that way. Unfortunately we just have a popup camper so no good way to carry bikes except in the back of the pickup.
Old 09-08-20, 01:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
I'd be installing a receiver to the rear of the trailer or front of the truck.

Possibly this if rated high enough and room.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...iABEgLivfD_BwE
Old 09-08-20, 02:45 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Elbeinlaw I see why your hitch guy might be a little gun-shy; that Airstream bumper is more of a 'roll pan' than the box-beam you find on the back of most travel trailers. It'd be a custom job, and not every shop wants to take that on.

A front receiver on the truck is probably the most off-the-shelf option. All bolt-on, nothing to figure out. It would also help the weight distribution on your tow vehicle. Our club SAG driver has a Sprinter with racks on both ends so he can carry more bikes, but the same thing applies. Downside is that your bikes are out in the wind, catching the bugs. (just like a roof rack)
Old 09-08-20, 03:12 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Would one of these dual hitch extenders work?+
Old 09-08-20, 05:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
As I Recall what looks like a back bumper, really is where the hose for the sewage hook up or holding tank emptying was stowed..
Old 09-08-20, 06:19 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Wife and I have a small travel trailer , a Casita, and have some experience. I'd not recommend a rack that grabs the rear bumper of an RV. Those bumpers are usually not meant to hold racks although some have removed them and reinstalled heavy bumpers welded or bolted to the frame. I bought a separate receiver/hitch that I bolted to the frame and holds lots of weight. Then bought an RV rated 2 bike rack to fit in the receiver. All good for one 2 month trip. Following year the rack just got fatigued and couldn't support the bike wheels, wheels were way out of true when we made it south.. Roads in the US are in very bad shape and there's a whole lot of shaking going on at the rear end of a travel trailer. I've a carbon bike so rack needs a tray for the wheels, can't be one that grabs the top tube. We finally decided to buy an Arvika rack that fits just forward of the trailer along the a frame. Painful , as its $600 plus, but I can see the bikes in my mirror and there's a lot less sway and bouncing now, as opposed to when they were in the rear. Other ideas are good also, front of tow vehicle, inside trailer etc., every thing is a compromise. One last thing, if you get the bikes off the rear of the trailer, then brake/directional signals are more visible to those behind you.
Old 09-08-20, 06:19 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
You could also use a Ladder rack With the bike attachments and instead of lifting them over your shoulders just get a 3 or 4 step ladder. I use a Thule rack that I lower almost down to the top of the bed sides. If I cut the rack a litttle it could be as low as the bed sides.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...per+cab-_-9Sd4
Old 09-08-20, 06:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
He'd need a heavier duty one than 4000#. Maybe this one at 7500#.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45810
Old 09-09-20, 09:20 AM
Elbeinlaw

Bikes on the tailgate

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We usually put our bikes on the tailgate. Sometimes we bring my wife’s Vespa, and then put them in the aisle. I suppose we could also put them on a roof rack

This may work for us. But I can't tell from the picture … is the front fork hanging over the tailgate? How do you keep the bikes from bouncing? How do you keep them upright? How do you keep the trailer stuff from hitting the bikes or viceversa? (By the way, your camping organization in the bed of the pickup looks a lot like mine.)
Old 09-09-20, 09:23 AM
Elbeinlaw

Lifting

Originally Posted by Bmach
You could also use a Ladder rack With the bike attachments and instead of lifting them over your shoulders just get a 3 or 4 step ladder. I use a Thule rack that I lower almost down to the top of the bed sides. If I cut the rack a litttle it could be as low as the bed sides.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...per+cab-_-9Sd4
Thank you for the suggestion. Man, I wish I could do that. But … I'd still have to lift these 30 lb bikes over my shoulders AND do it standing on a ladder. I already have a herniated disk. I don't do ladders any more unless I can do the old sailor's "one hand for the ladder.".
Old 09-09-20, 09:28 AM
Elbeinlaw

Pop ups and bike racks

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
popup camper
I loved my popup--so easy to pull, so much room, so much fresh air, and such a brilliant design. BUT … that winding. Sheesh. At my age I already have cranky hips and knees. Shoulders are all I have left. We graduated from a popup to a travel trailer the day that I was winding up the top and I realized that it was hurting my shoulder. I went looking for a trailer the next day.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that I've seen people use the over-the-bad-cover bike racks fastened to the top of their popup shell. I think the construction might be tough, particularly if you have one of those plastic shell tops that Coleman used to (still does?) use. But I would think it's possible, properly anchored. Of course the problem is height if the bikes are vertical. And half the time I'd probably forget to take the bikes off before I cranked the thing up. But it might work for you.
Old 09-09-20, 09:29 AM
Elbeinlaw

the Airstream faux bumper

Originally Posted by fietsbob
As I Recall what looks like a back bumper, really is where the hose for the sewage hook up or holding tank emptying was stowed..
You are 100% correct.
Old 09-09-20, 09:32 AM
Elbeinlaw

Front hitch

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
front receiver on the truck
"Ironfish" and Virginia Beach. Submariner?

I think the front hitch receiver might be the way to go. Thank you to everyone who suggested it.
Old 09-09-20, 09:34 AM
Elbeinlaw

Front hitch

Originally Posted by John Foster
What do you pull the trailer with? We have a front receiver on our pickup truck, pleased with it.
We pull with a 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost. Great tow vehicle, by the way. At least, compared to my old Tacoma.

I'm thinking that the front hitch is the way to go. But let me ask you some questions. Is your front hitch bolted to the frame? Is there any downside, other than the dirt and the bugs and having to look at the darn things as you're driving? Does it actually effect the balance of the rig when towing?
Old 09-09-20, 09:37 AM
Elbeinlaw

Dual hitch extender

Originally Posted by kingston
No, for two reasons. One, I'm going to have to avoid lifting this big heavy bikes over my shoulders, and with the bike rack up above the hitch, I'd have to not only lift but twist. My orthopedist would point out that he could use the business, so go ahead and lift heavy objects over my shoulders and twist.

The other reason is that the Airstream has a big shiny box for the propane containers and a tall jackstand just aft of the ball coupler. So there's no room.

But thank you for the thought. I appreciate it.
Old 09-09-20, 09:52 AM
Elbeinlaw

Airstreams

Originally Posted by jadocs
Is there an option for a hitch receiver on the back of the Airstream?

Edit: If hitch receiver is an option to tow, then it should be a viable option to secure a hitch rack.

I've been looking at Airstreams too. Me personally, I would put a hitch receiver on there (if that is a legitimate option to tow) and put my OneUp hitch rack on it.
First: hitch receiver on the back. My hitch guy, whom I have used for years and I trust as a true mechanic, not just a technician, says they won't do it. Someone earlier in this string pointed out why: the "bumper" is kind of illusory. Given what I've learned about putting a receiver there, I won't do it. I don't always follow professionals advice, but I've watched my hitch guy work through problems and I like the way he thinks. If he says there's too much risk, there's too much risk.

Second: Airstream racks. If you read reviews of the Fiama Bike Rack, which is Airstream's pet rack, there is a plethora of complaints about structural failures. That's what's made me rethink getting one. I realized that if I'd read this many negative reviews on Amazon I'd never buy the thing. Of course you can always say "1000 faults is pretty small compared to 100,000 sold" or whatever. But I'd rather have a solution where there is less possibility of disaster. Some reviewers who have had catastrophic failures say they've contacted Fiama company and they've said "Oh, that's a known defect." WTF? If it's known why are you selling it without fixing the defect?

Third: Airstreams are great. I love mine--and this is my second. Three pieces of advice:
(1) Don't buy anything until you spend lots of time on the Airforums site. You'll get a real education.
(2) Don't assume that because they're shiny and look high tech that they are perfect. They aren't. They're still travel trailers, and they are no longer manufactured by a small company that built with pride. They're better built than most anything else out there, but they are not perfect. That's not a downside, but I think some people go into it with too great a level of expectation, and then are disappointed when they have to start repairing things from day 1. Anyone who's ever owned a boat or another trailer knows this. Airstreams are not immune. I'd almost say that if people do not enjoy the challenge of always using their toolbox on every trip, they should not buy a travel trailer.
(3) Buy used. The new ones (all I've bought, so I don't follow my own advice) are way more expensive than they should be. The listed prices are typically about 10-20% higher than the actual purchase price. But a well cared for used Airstream that has a previous owners upgrades is a much better deal. Particularly if, like I said above, you're willing to do your own maintenance.
(Bonus advice): Check to see where your nearest authorized Airstream dealer is. Very very few RV dealers will work on an Airstream. When they do, they don't always know what they're doing. Even if you do all of your own maintenance, there are just some things that are too much. For example, I like to do my own work, but when we had to repair a fitting on a toilet, the space was just too small for me to fit into to do a relatively simple plumbing repair. That went to a dealer for repair. But someone had to be close enough for me to take it to them.

You can PM me with any questions.
Old 09-09-20, 09:59 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw

Third: Airstreams are great. I love mine--and this is my second. Three pieces of advice:
(1) Don't buy anything until you spend lots of time on the Airforums site. You'll get a real education.
(2) Don't assume that because they're shiny and look high tech that they are perfect. They aren't. They're still travel trailers, and they are no longer manufactured by a small company that built with pride. They're better built than most anything else out there, but they are not perfect. That's not a downside, but I think some people go into it with too great a level of expectation, and then are disappointed when they have to start repairing things from day 1. Anyone who's ever owned a boat or another trailer knows this. Airstreams are not immune. I'd almost say that if people do not enjoy the challenge of always using their toolbox on every trip, they should not buy a travel trailer.
(3) Buy used. The new ones (all I've bought, so I don't follow my own advice) are way more expensive than they should be. The listed prices are typically about 10-20% higher than the actual purchase price. But a well cared for used Airstream that has a previous owners upgrades is a much better deal. Particularly if, like I said above, you're willing to do your own maintenance.
(Bonus advice): Check to see where your nearest authorized Airstream dealer is. Very very few RV dealers will work on an Airstream. When they do, they don't always know what they're doing. Even if you do all of your own maintenance, there are just some things that are too much. For example, I like to do my own work, but when we had to repair a fitting on a toilet, the space was just too small for me to fit into to do a relatively simple plumbing repair. That went to a dealer for repair. But someone had to be close enough for me to take it to them.

You can PM me with any questions.
Great advice, thank you!
Old 09-09-20, 11:00 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I have a 17ft. Casita travel trailer. I put two bicycles in the trailer and shock cord them to one of the tables in the trailer. Works well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.