Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-22-21, 09:40 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I bought a boat load of new winter gear this year. New backpack, spikes, crampons, ice axe, shell.

In the end I didn't hike at all. I did 125 over six months in 2020, but I trashed my left knee. Riding doesn't hurt it, so I ride right now. We bought my wife some new binoculars so I see more birding trips in my immediate future.

I did decide to skip the May racing. My wife hasn't had a vacation in over a year and she works way way too much (she's in marketing and operations for a hospital network), so since we'll both be vaccinated we're heading to florida to do some camping, birding, dining. I'll race in August and beyond.
My wife and I do a fair amount of bird watching. Great for getting out on a day off the bike. If you are ever in the PNW, we can show you around some good spots. They may not compare to what you get in FL, but if you are into lists you'd probably see a bunch of firsts.
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-22-21, 09:48 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I have a lot of life birds from a retreat I did at Cannon Beach a long time ago.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-22-21, 02:18 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Side note: Listed and sold the williams carbon wheels I had bought last year. I rode them for a year and they were fast and fun but I'm likely going to end up with a disc bike and will get 'fast' wheels when that happens. The wheels rob built for me are good enough for just about everything else.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 03-26-21, 11:43 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I did a thing...

Or a thing finally happened. This bike has been in the works in some way, shape, or form since november when I bought an alu tcx on fb marketplace that turned out to have a cracked chainstay. I'm hoping to be able to ride it soon. It's likely going to end up being my groad bike as ZeCanon would say. Will likely ride road on it the majority of the time as the rim brake roadie sits on the trainer and comes out for group rides etc. I'm stoked.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 03-27-21, 02:12 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Over the years, I’ve slowly added to the equipment I keep in the car, including a selection of tools, baby wipes, toilet paper, pump and shoes.

Now I’ll be adding an extra kit, since I forgot my jersey today. Fortunately, someone had an extra that fit me.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-27-21, 03:08 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Over the years, I’ve slowly added to the equipment I keep in the car, including a selection of tools, baby wipes, toilet paper, pump and shoes.

Now I’ll be adding an extra kit, since I forgot my jersey today. Fortunately, someone had an extra that fit me.
Reminds me of the time I did a group ride in a T shirt.
Old 03-27-21, 05:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I rode my touring bike in Kentucky on a hot, humid day. It was to be a short day so I wore a Campagnolo tee shirt. It was awful, had to peel it off.
Old 03-27-21, 07:34 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

I now carry a go bag around. Has various supplies. Whenever I leave it at home it seems like we need it. I keep adding to it. No cycling stuff yet.

Some stuff includes: Advil, Zyrtec, Pepto, wipes, sanitizer, rain jacket shell, umbrella, couple hats, change of clothes for Junior, a bunch of masks different sizes, drawstring loop end things, eye glass accessories, lighter, pocket knife, toothbrush, lens cleaning cloth, snacks, deck of cards, small first aid kit, insect repellant, rain-x,.. there's a lot more but I can't think of what are in the organizing containers inside the bag.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-27-21, 07:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I did a race once, in the summer, and some guy was riding in brown shorts. I rode near him and realized they were brown corduroys. I couldn't believe it - I wouldn't wear corduroys in warm weather anyway. I figured he was a mountain biker or something.

Well, the break went, two of us went to bridge, he followed... and we both blew up before we could bridge and he made the final move that brought us up to the break. I didn't pull much so I only followed the sprint, got 8th or so, but ends up that was enough for some state medal. Brown short guy I think finished last of the break. I found out later he forgot his shorts so raced in the shorts he was wearing.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 03-28-21, 08:46 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
You might remember the story where RacerEx forgot his shoes and raced in penny loafers and still got third or so.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-30-21, 04:51 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Second shot yesterday. I don't feel terrible, but I don't feel great. Sore arm. Neck hurts. Headache. A bit foggy.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-30-21, 11:05 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Same here. Got my shot in the grocery store right next to the milk and cottage cheese. Definitely can't smash today, even my planned recovery ride @ 55% is questionable.
Old 03-30-21, 12:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Side note: Listed and sold the williams carbon wheels I had bought last year. I rode them for a year and they were fast and fun but I'm likely going to end up with a disc bike and will get 'fast' wheels when that happens. The wheels rob built for me are good enough for just about everything else.
Which Williams? I have the 58mm clinchers and they're great wheels. They just feel like they carry speed.
Old 03-30-21, 12:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I got an appointment for the J&J shot on Friday. Woohoo!
Old 03-30-21, 01:30 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Scheduled for a vaccine tomorrow!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-30-21, 01:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You might remember the story where RacerEx forgot his shoes and raced in penny loafers and still got third or so.
The RacerEx story is total optimization of weigh, equipment and aerodynamics including tunnel testing and testing at Velo Sports Center where he and I did a session together. He is all about minimizing the power required to generate speed under various conditions. And he got into many debates here at BF with racers about how much power it took to generate X speed. He made a lot of power but also generated a lot of speed for not much power - a considerable competitive advantage.

But yes, he forgot his cycling shoes, raced in loafers and did quite well in an NRC stage race.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-30-21 at 01:54 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-30-21, 01:54 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by caloso
Which Williams? I have the 58mm clinchers and they're great wheels. They just feel like they carry speed.
System 45 or whatnot. I used them for a season and got 250 more than I paid. I'm likely just going to ride/race my psimets till they die and retire the rim brake bike to the trainer after that.
Already planning on using the giant above for the majority of my riding... though.... toying with selling it because I'm pretty convinced the build is cursed. I think that bike would also likely get about 200-300 more than I paid for it, but on the flip side ain't no one getting a new groad bike for that price point so why even bother.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 03-30-21, 02:06 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I've got 2 subscribers to my youtube channel, I'm ready to start #influencing
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-30-21, 02:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I forgot to like it. Oh well, it is hard to be an influencer.
Old 03-30-21, 02:20 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I forgot to like it. Oh well, it is hard to be an influencer.
Indeed lol Just waiting now for all the offers to do paid reviews so I can then be accused of being a shill!
Old 03-30-21, 02:52 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Good luck, its a ton of work. I have about 15 TB of data from my Tahiti Vacation and was going to make them into a series, then realized the amount of work it would take for a decent edit and I was like nah.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-31-21, 03:28 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I have a buyer lined up for the project car I built up in med school... Like every other project, I know I'm going to get as much for it as I put in, but still feels low. I figure I'd get more if I waited or if I parted the car but I don't have the time, energy, or patience for it right now. Plus it looks like the owner to be is interested in doing more stuff with it and making it legit track worthy which will be cool.

The hunt for a new daily continues. Still looking at the CRV/RAV4, but have started kindaaa thinking about something like the highlander so I can build a platform and dirtbag it for very short overnight trips where I just need some food and some snowboards. Could be kinda nice for cycling as well. Will have to figure out the numbers. All the stuff I've seen from folks who've done that with the Rav/CRV tend to either be smaller people or tend to not actually have any sports gear they carry. I can't see how you can sleep in a rav4... just doesn't seem long enough but I'll do more research. Good times.

Regardless, this will be the most money I've ever spent on a car at once. Feels weird. I almost feel like I should just be buying a 2010 highlander with a buncha miles on it to drive for a few years and then move onto the next thing when I have a better job. Makes me a bit nervous to spend a buncha money on a car as a resident... but need decent transport etc. Would be one thing if it was only to go to work and back but needing a car to work well for 800 mile round trips in the dead of vermont winters ups the ante a bit.
Old 03-31-21, 06:33 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I'm kicking myself for turning down a pretty darn decent offer for my car last week because I had what I thought was a serious buyer willing to pay more coming yesterday. Yesterday guy never showed. Had some lame excuse about running out of cell data and something else.

Not sure what to do now except hopefully wait for the right buyer since I'm not technically in a rush (other than my own impatience we don't have a need to sell it).
Old 04-01-21, 08:27 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm kicking myself for turning down a pretty darn decent offer for my car last week because I had what I thought was a serious buyer willing to pay more coming yesterday. Yesterday guy never showed. Had some lame excuse about running out of cell data and something else.

Not sure what to do now except hopefully wait for the right buyer since I'm not technically in a rush (other than my own impatience we don't have a need to sell it).
I assume you already tried to contact the person that gave you the offer last week? Maybe its still on the table.
Old 04-01-21, 11:11 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
I assume you already tried to contact the person that gave you the offer last week? Maybe its still on the table.
Yeah, I actually regretted it just a few hours later that evening after talking with my wife, but he'd already bought another one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.