Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 03-25-21, 06:48 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
My Cinelli Caleido. Finished my first century on her(bull bars in background were definitely equipped for that one).

Old 03-25-21, 08:36 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
My Cinelli Caleido. Finished my first century on her(bull bars in background were definitely equipped for that one).

always wanted one of these! Truly gorgeous the way they kept the build design so clean.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 03-26-21, 07:31 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
This was built as a Covid quarantine build. The paint sucked so I stripped it and repainted it
Before

After, the rattle can paint and a different headset. I also moved the chainring outboard on the crankset.

Likes For bwilli88:
Old 03-26-21, 07:57 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Originally Posted by bwilli88
This was built as a Covid quarantine build. The paint sucked so I stripped it and repainted it
Before

After, the rattle can paint and a different headset. I also moved the chainring outboard on the crankset.

really like the clean look that coaster brake gives the build! Nice touch with the alternate fork color.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 03-26-21, 08:24 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Maintenance ride. Shooting for 80+ a week. Old man ****. Still not sure on components. Have a different saddle tI need to install, and looking for a different front caliper option.

Crusty and quick. Similar to it's owner. Except the quick part 😂🤔

Likes For Senrab62:
Old 03-26-21, 09:35 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Senrab62–gorgeous seat clamp construction—always liked that style. Whats wrong with the caliper? You want to go more upscale or a different set up? ...dual pivot, center pull?
Old 03-27-21, 03:03 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Little too much information.....
Old 03-28-21, 05:33 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Senrab62–gorgeous seat clamp construction—always liked that style. Whats wrong with the caliper? You want to go more upscale or a different set up? ...dual pivot, center pull?
That "fastback" style stay treatment is a trademark of Ron Boi (the builder) and many others for that matter. I always have appreciated the look.

Very short reach calipers are needed. Need something shorter, or need to modify the brake arms (slots) to allow more upward adjustment as it's currently set up. A "drop bolt" has also been suggested to me as a possible solution, but the caliper I am using right now is less than mediocre in my opinion.

Ideally, for performance, a modern dual pivot would be perfect. I am trying to keep the look at least fairly period appropriate, if not mid range quality as long as functional. Also, I know of no short reach, nutted dual pivot calipers that are even available. Still looking for the solution!
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 03-28-21, 05:37 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Little too much information.....
Ha!! Sorry for the TMI.

Rough around the edges, like it's owner????
Old 03-28-21, 06:44 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

That "fastback" style stay treatment is a trademark of Ron Boi (the builder) and many others for that matter. I always have appreciated the look.

Very short reach calipers are needed. Need something shorter, or need to modify the brake arms (slots) to allow more upward adjustment as it's currently set up. A "drop bolt" has also been suggested to me as a possible solution, but the caliper I am using right now is less than mediocre in my opinion.

Ideally, for performance, a modern dual pivot would be perfect. I am trying to keep the look at least fairly period appropriate, if not mid range quality as long as functional. Also, I know of no short reach, nutted dual pivot calipers that are even available. Still looking for the solution!
“fastback”...that’s right...yeah, a very nice look. I’ve “shortened” up a caliper reach with careful filing (chainsaw blade sharpening file is the perfect size) but typically the caliper thickens up and the nut doesn't sit right. Many of the latest dual caliper short reach mid range (e.g. 105s) come with really long bolts to accommodate the carbon fork set up...maybe just long enough to clear your older style fork for a nut to go on? Then just strip the anodizing and you’ll be beaut!
Old 03-28-21, 07:39 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Perhaps something like the Aero Gran Compe AGC-300 (37-43mm reach) or Universal AER (38-44mm reach)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
agc-aer-calipers.jpg (120.9 KB, 720 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-29-21, 07:48 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
I've got matching 584x32 tires now

And while we're on the topic of fastback seatstays

Old 03-29-21, 07:57 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Maintenance ride. Shooting for 80+ a week. Old man ****. Still not sure on components. Have a different saddle tI need to install, and looking for a different front caliper option.

Try these,the single pivot(front)brake.

Edit: Campagnolo Skeleton
Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 03-29-21, 07:58 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Sneak peak.....
Old 03-29-21, 09:27 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Very interesting! Where’s the rear end? BTW, if you are going to have huge welds, they might as well be attractive. 😏
Old 03-29-21, 10:40 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Very interesting! Where’s the rear end? BTW, if you are going to have huge welds, they might as well be attractive. 😏
I'm still sanding it. You're right about the welds. I'm a welder/fabricator by trade and I'm embarrassed for the person that welded this.

Edit: BTW, I left the headset cups in on purpose. They will come out when I do the final sanding and cleaning of the frame before paint.

Last edited by BoozyMcliverRot; 03-29-21 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-01-21, 05:57 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by abshipp
I've got matching 584x32 tires now

And while we're on the topic of fastback seatstays

LOOOOOVE this bike. Considering the 650b conversion for the red bike. How do you like it so far. How did it impact geometry/feel? Any regrets? 23mm max tire width is not ideal.

Build looks great and good to see it out in the wild!
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 04-02-21, 08:12 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

LOOOOOVE this bike. Considering the 650b conversion for the red bike. How do you like it so far. How did it impact geometry/feel? Any regrets? 23mm max tire width is not ideal.

Build looks great and good to see it out in the wild!
Thanks so much!

Here's a bit of a novel, but hey, you asked

I barely ever rode this with 700c wheels so I don't have too much of a frame of reference regarding how it feels with 650b vs 700c.

With references to my other bikes I do have some context though -

I don't know the exact geometry of this bike, but assuming it's typical track geo with a 74° HTA and a measured fork offset of 20mm, the front end trail with 584x32 tires is the highest out of all my bikes at 73mm.

That high of trail plus the wide supple tires make the front end very stable. The bike is always on rails and it takes a decent amount of effort to turn the bars. Riding no-hands is super easy.

Comparing this to my Trek 710 with 38mm 650b tires, 63mm offset fork and 33mm of trail is like night and day - the Trek has the lightest steering effort of all of my bikes. Riding no-hands takes some concentration but you get used to it

Max tire clearance is limited by the fork at 23mm. A 622x23 tire has a calculated diameter of 668mm and a 584x32 tire has a calculated diameter of 648mm, so the conversion dropped the bottom bracket by 10mm. Really not a huge deal for me since it's already got a high BB and I'm not racing crits on the thing I haven't checked toe overlap with the 32mm tires but when I had a 40mm actual width tire on the front there was barely a hint of overlap on 170mm cranks and clipless shoes with the cleats pretty far back. So just like the BB dropped 10mm, I gained 10mm of toe clearance as well.

Overall no regrets - thankfully nothing I've done is a permanent change so if in the future I want to run 700c I can. I don't really see any reason to, though.

Regarding tires themselves, they are Grand Bois Cypres 650b x 32mm standard casing, mounted on a Velocity Synergy (17mm internal/23mm external) at the rear and a Velocity Atlas (20mm internal/25mm external) at the front. On initial installation they only measured at 28mm but after a few rides the rear is right at 32mm and the front is 33ish. They might grow a little bit but I don't expect a whole lot of that.

Tires in this size aren't exactly the easiest to find, however. You can order them from Grand Bois in Japan but shipping can get pretty expensive - I had been on the hunt for them for a while and just kept searching eBay. I lucked out and found 3 of them new in package. I run brakes on my fixed gears so they should last a while.

Oh and also - I think it's silly to skid on nice tires anyways - but I think you will find that with the contact patch so much larger on 32mm vs 23mm tires there's so much more traction that skidding is just hard in the first place!
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-02-21, 08:37 AM
abshipp 

In other news + pretty pictures, our local park finally opened for mountain biking so I got to take this out again for the first time since December

Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-02-21, 08:45 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by abshipp
Thanks so much!

Here's a bit of a novel, but hey, you asked

I barely ever rode this with 700c wheels so I don't have too much of a frame of reference regarding how it feels with 650b vs 700c.

With references to my other bikes I do have some context though -

I don't know the exact geometry of this bike, but assuming it's typical track geo with a 74° HTA and a measured fork offset of 20mm, the front end trail with 584x32 tires is the highest out of all my bikes at 73mm.

That high of trail plus the wide supple tires make the front end very stable. The bike is always on rails and it takes a decent amount of effort to turn the bars. Riding no-hands is super easy.

Comparing this to my Trek 710 with 38mm 650b tires, 63mm offset fork and 33mm of trail is like night and day - the Trek has the lightest steering effort of all of my bikes. Riding no-hands takes some concentration but you get used to it

Max tire clearance is limited by the fork at 23mm. A 622x23 tire has a calculated diameter of 668mm and a 584x32 tire has a calculated diameter of 648mm, so the conversion dropped the bottom bracket by 10mm. Really not a huge deal for me since it's already got a high BB and I'm not racing crits on the thing I haven't checked toe overlap with the 32mm tires but when I had a 40mm actual width tire on the front there was barely a hint of overlap on 170mm cranks and clipless shoes with the cleats pretty far back. So just like the BB dropped 10mm, I gained 10mm of toe clearance as well.

Overall no regrets - thankfully nothing I've done is a permanent change so if in the future I want to run 700c I can. I don't really see any reason to, though.

Regarding tires themselves, they are Grand Bois Cypres 650b x 32mm standard casing, mounted on a Velocity Synergy (17mm internal/23mm external) at the rear and a Velocity Atlas (20mm internal/25mm external) at the front. On initial installation they only measured at 28mm but after a few rides the rear is right at 32mm and the front is 33ish. They might grow a little bit but I don't expect a whole lot of that.

Tires in this size aren't exactly the easiest to find, however. You can order them from Grand Bois in Japan but shipping can get pretty expensive - I had been on the hunt for them for a while and just kept searching eBay. I lucked out and found 3 of them new in package. I run brakes on my fixed gears so they should last a while.

Oh and also - I think it's silly to skid on nice tires anyways - but I think you will find that with the contact patch so much larger on 32mm vs 23mm tires there's so much more traction that skidding is just hard in the first place!
Appreciate the thorough explanation.

I don't skid either, and never wanted to. Bikes look cleaner w/o brakes, especially track bikes, but skidding ruins tires and is inefficient as eff. Not worth it in my book and makes my bike less capable. There is no benefit.

I reeeeally want to do the conversion, but will have to wait. Don't mind the overlap as much, but the narrow tires and lack of clearance is a bit unnerving. Too many pots (projects) simmering. Can't justify the expense! First world problems 😂
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 04-02-21, 09:19 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Last month I bought several bikes from a former trackie's estate. He had several track bikes that he was still road riding in his 70s, among them this Raleigh. I need to either lace up a set of silver wheels or glue some tubbies to the OG wheels so that I can repurpose these to another of his frames.

1972 Raleigh Professional track
Old 04-02-21, 09:26 AM
abshipp 

Appreciate the thorough explanation.

I don't skid either, and never wanted to. Bikes look cleaner w/o brakes, especially track bikes, but skidding ruins tires and is inefficient as eff. Not worth it in my book and makes my bike less capable. There is no benefit.

I reeeeally want to do the conversion, but will have to wait. Don't mind the overlap as much, but the narrow tires and lack of clearance is a bit unnerving. Too many pots (projects) simmering. Can't justify the expense! First world problems 😂
Anytime!

Agreed regarding brakes. I've gotten a little more comfortable and confident in my ability to ride without needing to use them but it's just not the smartest idea when you could lose all braking ability from a single point of failure. I've got two braking mechanisms on my road bikes (front and rear calipers) and I've got two on this track bike (front brake and backpressure) which is an important risk mitigation, even where I ride out in the sticks!

Plus, the fork was already drilled for one. The rear isn't and I'll probably leave it that way even though I don't particularly like having a brake lever not hooked up to anything. At least it doesn't rattle. An added benefit is having the hoods there for some alternate hand positions
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-02-21, 09:33 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Last month I bought several bikes from a former trackie's estate. He had several track bikes that he was still road riding in his 70s, among them this Raleigh. I need to either lace up a set of silver wheels or glue some tubbies to the OG wheels so that I can repurpose these to another of his frames.

1972 Raleigh Professional track

Beautiful! How does it ride. Looks spectacular!
Old 04-02-21, 10:16 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
BB and I are getting settled into our new home in Texas. Looks like most of the good riding in my new hood is dirt, so I might throw the risers back on, get some fatter tires, and go full tracklo with it.

Old 04-02-21, 01:04 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

How I got it a month ago for $30 of BookFace vs. now

gonna finish the build tonight.

26" ain't dead yet lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.