Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

This is absolutely disgusting!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

This is absolutely disgusting!

Old 03-09-21, 05:29 PM
invalid.user
*bows*

Bikes: Giant Fastroad Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This is close to where the accident occurred. Just found the snapshot interesting. Apparently they give the google car a wide birth that they don't afford cyclists.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8688...7i16384!8i8192

I am pretty sure the ghost bike rests against this tree off on the right side of the road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8688...7i16384!8i8192
Thanks for getting links to the area. That road is plenty wide too. This whole case angers me so much. I hope his family gets some kind of closure or something. I honestly don't even know how I'd react in their position. What an absolute miscarriage of justice. The judge strikes me as a psychopath for reading that line about some people finding the judgment too harsh in front of the victim's family. Who thinks a year of curfew and not driving for 3 years is "too harsh" compared to a father of 3, husband, etc. losing his life at such a young age. Even judge aside, the crown (in Ontario, the crown deals with criminal charges on behalf of victims) was only asking for 6-8 months of jail time. If she had gotten 4 times that, I would still be upset and think that it is too lenient! I don't believe for a second that the victim learned anything from this, and her speech about wishing to be in the victim's place is so superficial and fake, it makes me more upset.
Likes For invalid.user:
Old 03-09-21, 06:36 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Agree, I use discretion myself! I see some riders riding a road with no shoulder and 50 mph traffic while there is a road that parallels that same road for the entire 10 mile distance one block away with SUPER wide shoulders and plenty of 4 way stops to slow traffic.

I see plenty of cyclists riding across Rt 66 heading into the sun wearing black kits and no lights at sunset. I keep left driving knowing this. I ride north and south to avoid putting myself in that situation.

I ride at night fully lit up and honestly, it seems that I am better seen than during the day. Never ever once had an encounter with a car over the years. 2 front lights, 2 rear lights, reflector ankles. I don't like the ankle bands but I feel safer with them on.

As mentioned, I have had more encounters on the MUP than any other place. No accidents but too many non attentive cyclists.
There's a similar road here. The posted is either 35 or 40, I don't recall offhand, but 50+ is typical. No shoulder, the lanes themselves (4 lane) are ridiculously narrow for even 35; and often pot hole ridden so cars are constantly shifting position to avoid the potholes or the moose antler truck mirrors. Still I see a cyclist occasionally riding the road while a perfectly good under-utilized MUP runs parallel.
Likes For gear64:
Old 03-10-21, 09:01 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
She fled the scene, so no way to prove she was under the influence when she hit the man. However, if her IG pics are an indication, there likely was still alcohol in her system at the time of the collision. I was hit by a driver at 6 AM on a Monday morning. He was drinking the night before and he was charged with DUI.

It is a ridiculous punishment. I ride by the area all the time. There used to be speed-curbing measures on that road in the form of what resembles chicanes, which may have caused the driver to under or over steer and plow into the cyclist. These chicanes have since been removed. They were stupid features to begin with.

Likes For mcours2006:
Old 03-11-21, 09:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Again the family needs to get a good lawyer and sue the living hell out of the girl and her family and insurance company.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-16-21, 10:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by trailangel
Some always says .. if you want to kill somebody, buy them a bike....... then run over them.
I have stated that many times.
Old 03-17-21, 12:25 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Welcome to the "hug a thug" approach to crime in Ontario now. Hell even gang members are out the same day in Toronto with a gun charge. Makes me so angry.
Likes For blue192:
Old 03-21-21, 02:37 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again the family needs to get a good lawyer and sue the living hell out of the girl and her family and insurance company.
Remember that this is in Canada and not the United States. Getting big awards from private lawsuits is much less common and more difficult.
Old 03-22-21, 09:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Viich
Remember that this is in Canada and not the United States. Getting big awards from private lawsuits is much less common and more difficult.
Dont they have "wrongful death" cases in Canada?
Old 03-23-21, 08:54 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Dont they have "wrongful death" cases in Canada?
So yes, but far less prevalent - quite a number of conditions need to be met, and there is no 'punitive damages' part of awards, it's based only on actual costs and lost wages.

We have a lot fewer lawyers.
Old 03-23-21, 02:48 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Viich
So yes, but far less prevalent - quite a number of conditions need to be met, and there is no 'punitive damages' part of awards, it's based only on actual costs and lost wages.

We have a lot fewer lawyers.
Hey---------------------We have lots down here below you. We could send you tens of thousands. It would work for both countries.
Old 03-24-21, 10:10 AM
Viich
Hack

Hey---------------------We have lots down here below you. We could send you tens of thousands. It would work for both countries.
All good, we have enough already. Thanks for the offer.
Old 04-02-21, 09:28 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
The solution is simple, if you kill or severely injure another road user when it was easily preventable, you shouldn't be allowed to operate a motor vehicle ever again.

After a few years, most of the idiot drivers won't be on the road anymore.

Insurance companies love this racket though, so it will continue.
Old 04-04-21, 06:57 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
A Jersey barrier would have prevented this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8689...7i16384!8i8192
Old 04-06-21, 05:55 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
A Jersey barrier would have prevented this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8689...7i16384!8i8192
Notice how the old lane markings directed drivers to move close to the curb and then come back out again. The city almost immediate got rid of this stupid feature after the collision with the cyclist.
Old 04-10-21, 02:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by invalid.user
Agreed. I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but I almost never bike on streets without protected bike lanes in the suburbs. I'll take my chances on the sidewalk; they're almost always empty anyways. At least then it's at my discretion, and I can be more careful when it comes to intersections/entrances. That story is just sad. I hope his family is doing ok, although I'm sure they're not.
I gave up 99% of road riding when motorists added smart phones and dashboard TVs to their driving menus along with alcohol and drug abuse. Every passing car is a game of Russian Roulette.
Old 04-10-21, 06:08 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I gave up 99% of road riding when motorists added smart phones and dashboard TVs to their driving menus along with alcohol and drug abuse. Every passing car is a game of Russian Roulette.
I’ve yet to see anyone dashboard tv-ing, and I suspect you haven’t either.

p.s. After you gave up, in the before times, I rode your roads of death. I did not die.

-mr. bill
Old 04-11-21, 12:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I can't imagine where around New Orleans that I'd want to ride on the road either. It's not really got a lot of roads that aren't going to be bumper to bumper all the time. Those that don't have so much traffic will be stop and go all the time.

That doesn't mean that riding on the road is bad or too risky for others of us elsewhere.
Old 04-11-21, 04:20 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I can't imagine where around New Orleans that I'd want to ride on the road either. It's not really got a lot of roads that aren't going to be bumper to bumper all the time. Those that don't have so much traffic will be stop and go all the time.

That doesn't mean that riding on the road is bad or too risky for others of us elsewhere.
So, which roads didn’t you ride in NOLA?

-mr. bill
Old 04-11-21, 05:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

-mr. bill
Hell, I even rode on Magazine Street. I lived on it.
Old 04-12-21, 07:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by mr_bill

-mr. bill
I haven't rode any roads on a bike in New Orleans. I have ne reason to. I've been to N.O. quite a bit. I enjoy it... but I can't imagine riding a bike there the way I like to ride.

I like to ride were I can go for miles without having to stop. New Orleans is in the middle of a swamp or at least low lands.. Because of that, there aren't many roads coming in and out of it. I don't know any roads coming out of New Orleans that aren't bumper to bumper traffic. When in New Orleans I don't know of any roads that go for more than a few blocks without crossing busy intersections that require a stop. Roads that do go for a distance with out stops are also bumper to bumper traffic.

Therefore the reason for my previous statement that prompted you to quote me.

Though I suppose it's just big city life and you get used to it and there are probably things I don't know about. I left the big windy city up north when I was four y.o. So big city life is mostly foreign to me.

If you have something to add about where I could ride my bike in NOLA for 20 to 40 mile rides, then let me know. Probably won't help me, but might help some other.
Old 04-13-21, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I haven't rode any roads on a bike in New Orleans. I have ne reason to. I've been to N.O. quite a bit. I enjoy it... but I can't imagine riding a bike there the way I like to ride.

I like to ride were I can go for miles without having to stop. New Orleans is in the middle of a swamp or at least low lands.. Because of that, there aren't many roads coming in and out of it. I don't know any roads coming out of New Orleans that aren't bumper to bumper traffic. When in New Orleans I don't know of any roads that go for more than a few blocks without crossing busy intersections that require a stop. Roads that do go for a distance with out stops are also bumper to bumper traffic.

Therefore the reason for my previous statement that prompted you to quote me.

Though I suppose it's just big city life and you get used to it and there are probably things I don't know about. I left the big windy city up north when I was four y.o. So big city life is mostly foreign to me.

If you have something to add about where I could ride my bike in NOLA for 20 to 40 mile rides, then let me know. Probably won't help me, but might help some other.
Think you're into apples and oranges here. Basically, you have no reason to single out NO, you just don't like city riding.
Old 04-13-21, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by JoeyBike

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Think you're into apples and oranges here. Basically, you have no reason to single out NO, you just don't like city riding.
The member making the comment that prompted my post is from New Orleans. I probably should have quoted them originally and maybe my reason for singling out New Orleans will have been more clear.

Since we seem to stay on that though, I will say that I did walk their MUP or whatever it is that goes along the south edge of Lake Pontchartrain. It would have made a nice bike ride, but almost 10 years after Katrina, it still was cut up in sections and even walking I couldn't go far. Even the municipal boat marina that I started from still looked much as it did soon after Hurricane Katrina. Where ever all the money went, it wasn't for fixing things from the storm.
Old 04-13-21, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The member making the comment that prompted my post is from New Orleans. I probably should have quoted them originally and maybe my reason for singling out New Orleans will have been more clear.

Since we seem to stay on that though, I will say that I did walk their MUP or whatever it is that goes along the south edge of Lake Pontchartrain. It would have made a nice bike ride, but almost 10 years after Katrina, it still was cut up in sections and even walking I couldn't go far. Even the municipal boat marina that I started from still looked much as it did soon after Hurricane Katrina. Where ever all the money went, it wasn't for fixing things from the storm.

If you know the history of the poster, he was definitely talking about giving up urban riding, but not important. The fun of riding in New Orleans is primarily in where you get to stop--it's fun riding around to the different clubs and places to eat, definitely short-hop. Keep in mind that the weather there is really not conducive to the long uninterrupted riding you and I like to do, cold and damp in the winter, and like riding in a sauna full of pollens in the summer..
Old 04-14-21, 09:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you know the history of the poster, he was definitely talking about giving up urban riding, but not important. The fun of riding in New Orleans is primarily in where you get to stop--it's fun riding around to the different clubs and places to eat, definitely short-hop. Keep in mind that the weather there is really not conducive to the long uninterrupted riding you and I like to do, cold and damp in the winter, and like riding in a sauna full of pollens in the summer..
Well that is a slightly more useful comment to off set my experience which is mostly very light urban and into the sticks. It will have made a much better counterpoint to my remark than any of the simple bashing and non informative comments.
Old 04-14-21, 10:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well that is a slightly more useful comment to off set my experience which is mostly very light urban and into the sticks. It will have made a much better counterpoint to my remark than any of the simple bashing and non informative comments.

Guess I don't see where you've been bashed here. You made a comment, and someone asked for clarification.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.