Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Homemade Chain Lube

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Homemade Chain Lube

Old 04-24-21, 03:10 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Automatic Transmission fluid (ATF) is a good sub for chain lube. It cleans well and leaves a very thin film with excellent lubrication qualities.
I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, its as good a chain lube as you can buy anywhere over the counter, and its a bargain when you consider how much you get for what you pay. I've been up and down with chains, cleaning them, lubing them, wax on - wax off, the whole bit, and nothing compares to the effectiveness, ease of use, and economy of ATF. For what its worth, I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, and dispense it out of a NAPA pump oil can, right onto the chain that's mounted to the bike. Wipe thoroughly and I'm riding in five minutes or less. The older I get the less complicated I want things to be lol.
Old 04-24-21, 03:32 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
kerosene or paraffin oil or diesel fuel or jet fuel or stoddard solvent or mineral spirits or paint thinner for oil paint will all work the same as a thinner for your purposes. 1st oil choice: Gear oil or 2-cycle oil or non-detergent motor oil have more oil in them than detergent motor oil (regular motor oil). 2nd choice: Regular motor oil, ATF, hydraulic oil. Anything you mix up with any of these thinners + oil will work fine for a bike. Drip on, 50 turns of the crank, wipe off the chain. The best SR-71 NASA super juice isn't enough better to matter.

Last edited by grizzly59; 04-24-21 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-24-21, 04:22 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I'm soo boring, been using Tri Flow for decades. If it's good enough for Chris Horner, good enough for me.
On the other hand, I just might try some ATF for giggles.
Thanks.
Old 04-24-21, 07:52 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I'm soo boring, been using Tri Flow for decades. If it's good enough for Chris Horner, good enough for me.
On the other hand, I just might try some ATF for giggles.
Thanks.
you know robot, I’ve been really happy with triflow for many a year also, but disappointed that the larger, more economical bottles just can’t be found anymore.
Old 04-25-21, 01:26 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Twelve-year-old thread.

Nothing much has changed on this topic since OP in 2009. My thoughts on this subject.

There was a resurgence of chain waxing a few years back, custom wax mixed with PTFE, etc, some claims of reduced friction based on actual measurement. IIRC some of the these evaluations failed to consider the very real effect of significant contamination of the wax coating by road debris thrown up constantly from the front tire onto the chain as it rounds the chainring. This slowly turns the wax lube into an erosive grinding paste, more than would occur with oil chain lubes, since wax has adhesive properties, and obviously also increases bicycle drivetrain friction losses - which are probably insignificant compared to tires, pannier drag, full touring loads and wind.

I still mix DIY lube 1 part oil to 4 parts solvent, by volume, in a dispensable bottle.