Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could a child learn to balance, sitting in front of a rider, holding the handlebars

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Could a child learn to balance, sitting in front of a rider, holding the handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 05:46 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Parents? Classes? I stole my big brothers second hand Murray tank bike and set off down the street all wobbly. Had no clue how to stop so rode up into a lawn at the end of the block and crashed in the shrubs. After a few of those training evolutions I had it pretty well figured out. That bike became mine after my brother got hit by a car for the second time. (No serious injuries either time) But he sorta lost interest in riding it.
Old 05-25-21, 06:34 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
... If a child sat in front of the rider, holding the handlebars ..
if you're referencing the neighbor's brat (you know the one), it would be worth trying. But it it MY child, then NO. Don't try it.
Old 05-25-21, 06:50 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It would not be difficult to make it safe. For example, fixing a seat to the bar in front of the rider, in a position where the child can hold the handlebars.

But the question is, would a child pick up balance, maybe even to some extent.

In S E Asia, it is common for an older child to ride a bike sitting on the rear rack, and have a younger child on the seat.
Old 05-25-21, 06:52 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
It would not be difficult to make it safe. For example, fixing a seat to the bar in front of the rider, in a position where the child can hold the handlebars.

But the question is, would a child pick up balance, maybe even to some extent.

In S E Asia, it is common for an older child to ride a bike sitting on the rear rack, and have a younger child on the seat.
i highly doubt it. there is no need for them to balence becasue you would be. they would just be there for the ride. my opinion of course.
Old 05-25-21, 11:45 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
For little kids learning with bike, you need to impress on them what happens if they stick fingers into spokes of a moving wheel, same thing as teaching not to touch hot stove. Even in my small circle of experience when growing up, I remember nails that had to regrow, luckily no lost finger.