Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Used bike price police

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Used bike price police

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 08:18 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
For the record here, I'm not actually saying there is a any crime in selling a bike just some fun with those words. Anyone dumb enough to pay those prices for the product being sold, well shame on you. Capitalism? this is just insanity when people pull some garbage out of the pail and try and flog it on the market as if it had value because they are taking advantage of a trend. I am not lying when I say that bikes that should have been walked down to the curb are selling at outrageous prices.

Regarding the bike price police, they do exist around here on a FB marketplace group called Toronto Road/Cx Bike Classifieds where people mostly sell used modern bikes or bike parts and if someone tries to sell a used bike over what the initial MSRP suggested value was, they get called out big time in the comments.
Do you wring your hands this much when a seller under-prices their bike?
Likes For iab:
Old 06-08-21, 08:47 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Here's some nice bikes at decent prices, down in OSU town:

https://www.bikeforums.net/22094069-post62053.html
Old 06-08-21, 09:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I have previously posted 'response' ads pointing out serious problems or misinformation in for-sale ads, such as a bike with obvious but not mentioned fork and frame damage from a front end collision.

But if someone wants to ask $4000 for a rusty Huffy that's just the free market at work. Monetary value is set by what people are willing to pay. I'd like to think people are smarter than that (like smart enough to google a bike before buying so they know it's worth $89 new instead of whatever crazy price someone is asking), but if they don't it's not my responsibility to hold every single person's hand and make sure they don't spend too much.
a rash of reversed forks I have seen
now, I know these are not motorpacing bikes.
really wonder about the reversed suspension forks... that trick bike, tap the front brake and fly forward over the bars!
Old 06-08-21, 09:25 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
It seems to be alright around here, you just have to be quick to get a deal. I’ve picked up a handful of bikes recently that were priced well under what they were worth.
Old 06-08-21, 09:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Regarding pricing strategies, here's what a bike flipper I bought a couple of good used bikes does: He sets a fair but firm price. No dickering. If the bike doesn't sell he gradually reduces the price over a period of weeks or months, however long it takes.

A couple of times I figured a bike he had wouldn't sell, so I gambled on that and didn't buy at his first asking price. But someone else did. So I missed out on a second 1989 Centurion Ironman, nearly identical to the one I bought from him in 2017, but in even better shape... for only $200. Very fair price, but I'd seen other Centurions sit around for months unsold. But apparently someone else recognized a fair value for a very good bike and snagged it.

Same with a nice mid-1990s Kona Lava Dome Race Lite, all rigid (no suspension fork), in beautiful emerald green, great shape. A pawn shop was asking $350. The price tag had a schedule for price decreases, one per month, until it bottomed out at $100. I figured I'd wait a couple of months and buy it later. My neighborhood is very low income and getting poorer all the time, so I figured there was no way any local would pay more than $50 for a bike. Welp, I was wrong. Someone snagged it for more than $200. My loss.
Old 06-08-21, 10:59 PM
rob_ralph

Bikes: 92 GT Richter 8.0, 01 Schwinn Homegrown, 91 Alpinestar Cro-Mega DX, 92 GT Karakoram Tequila Sunrise, 91 GT Karakoram, 91 GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Lot's of that here in So Cal too. When surfing through CL I select wheel size in the filter on the left side, that will eliminate all those kids bikes. The deals are less frequent now for sure but still out there. A Bridgestone MB-1 posted in LA for $150 a few weeks back and I recently picked up an '87 DB Apex for $20
Likes For rob_ralph:
Old 06-08-21, 11:49 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Seeing that this discussion is all about perceived value and going prices in different markets...shouldn't it be in the Valuations subforum?

Yes, I know exactly what I'm doing. 😈

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-09-21, 12:59 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-09-21, 05:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Why do you hate capitalism?
One other also brought up this term. You really mean to say "free market" or "unrestricted market" where buyer and seller agree upon a price.

You don't really mean capitalism, where private entities control the means of production and determine where investment may be directed to optimize return to those who bear the risks of investing.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-09-21, 06:09 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
For the other side of the coin, I don't bother trying to sell my old stuff because of cheapskates. It is a huge waste of time.

List some immaculate Gen 1 Panto Campy C record stuff, and they want a NOS seatpost for 50 bucks. Try buying a high end, new seat post for that. Or an ultra rare 180 mm crank in good shape, they want it for 75 bucks. Or a rare 50 year old italian bike fully Campy with $300 of new tubies on it, they want it for 900 bucks.
Old 06-09-21, 06:23 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Seeing that this discussion is all about perceived value and going prices in different markets...shouldn't it be in the Valuations subforum?

Yes, I know exactly what I'm doing. 😈

-Kurt
As this is a rant thread, and not a thread about a speciific bike with an appraisal inquiry, it doesn't need to be moved to the Appriasals forum.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-09-21, 06:48 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by cb400bill
As this is a rant thread, and not a thread about a speciific bike with an appraisal inquiry, it doesn't need to be moved to the Appriasals forum.
Oh, I know it, Bill - it was all /s.

Just needling the audience

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-09-21, 07:22 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
When I sell, I like high prices.
When I buy, I like low prices.

The real question is why does anyone really need more than one bike?

Last edited by fender1; 06-09-21 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-09-21, 07:37 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Other side of the coin... reminds me of an instance when some guy responded to one of my Craigslist offerings about a dozen years ago. I was listing a fully overhauled 198x Schwinn Traveler for $80.00. Without mentioning any objection beforehand, he showed up and tried to tell me that he had done his homework and found some reliable price guide online and insisted it wasn't worth more than $65.00. I was civil with him, but it was in nice shape and I didn't appreciate his attitude. I wished him good luck and sent him on his way.
Old 06-09-21, 09:56 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I certainly understand and appreciate the rant, which I think is applicable across all categories of used items and not just bicycles. I guess all you can do is shake your head and roll your eyes. People can try to sell their stuff for whatever they want and what do I care? However, what I do find a little more obnoxious is the people who keep posting the same items over and over in high volumes for long periods of time with no change in price. I'm referring to people who might have 50 or 60 items (or even more) that have been posted for many weeks. It isn't so much that they are posting their items for sale but more that it tends to be items of little or no value and it can be cumbersome to sort through all of it to find something of actual interest. I also appreciate the occasional cynical post that pokes a little fun at the overpriced items, such as this one https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8644499606176/

Likes For fettsvenska:
Old 06-09-21, 10:19 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by fettsvenska
I also appreciate the occasional cynical post that pokes a little fun at the overpriced items, such as this one https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8644499606176/

Hahaha, "pavement princess."
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-09-21, 10:24 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
One other also brought up this term. You really mean to say "free market" or "unrestricted market" where buyer and seller agree upon a price.

You don't really mean capitalism, where private entities control the means of production and determine where investment may be directed to optimize return to those who bear the risks of investing.
Well, the "free market" or "unrestricted market" are only places where capitalism is conducted. The placing a bike on that market is controlling the means of production. The promotion (the CL ad) is the directed investment to optimize return.

The supply chain comes in many forms.
Old 06-09-21, 10:33 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 218 Posts
A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

That said, raising the price of a listing after the fact (because of lots of interest) is just a crappy thing to do. Best way to handle it is to just ignore those sellers.

Plus I bet a sizable chunk of overly-priced bicycles aren't meaningfully for sale...it's just a way to get the seller's partner off their back
Old 06-09-21, 10:53 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Used upper-end models were always in short supply. Most people, when purchasing a new bike, go for entry-level stuff. Some will purchase the better quality upper mid-level stuff. A.limited few will go for the expensive, top-of-the-line stuff. Getting a bike sounds like a fun idea, but it takes a certain amount of physical effort to make it go. There is also a certain level of commitment needed to maintain it. Alot of people just get caught up in "bicycle mania" whenever a periodic bike craze rolls in. Most bikes will sit unused in basements and garages for years, rusting and and rotting, until they finally get tossed out. A few will wind up for sale by people who think they will cash in on a bike craze. In my area that was last year. The news hasn't gotten out around here that that ship has sailed, so overpriced bikes are stranded on the dock. You need only one great bike, or maybe a few (dozen) if you're a BF person. Better to find one or two good choices than many bad ones. Parts can be pricey, and your time is also worth something. Plus, some bikes will simply drive you "nuts". PATIENCE. Good things (at "bargain besement" prices) come to those who wait (for the right deal).
So that's why I can't get my stupid bike do.go anywhere
Old 06-09-21, 10:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
whe i sell, i like high prices.
When i buy, i like low prices.

The real question is why does anyone really need more than one bike?
What devilry is this? BURN, HERETIC!!!!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-09-21, 10:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
A bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

That said, raising the price of a listing after the fact (because of lots of interest) is just a crappy thing to do. Best way to handle it is to just ignore those sellers.

Plus I bet a sizable chunk of overly-priced bicycles aren't meaningfully for sale...it's just a way to get the seller's partner off their back
A few years ago, I saw a listing on Ebay for a Hamilton watch, with a Buy It Now price of $5000. There was one picture with the listing, just a blurry photo of a really generic watch that could have been anything. I checked the sellers sold listings and that same listing showed up as 'Sold' several times, for that price, in the previous couple months. I figured it was money laundering or other nefarious transfer of money using the listing for legitimacy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-09-21, 11:25 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

...a good rant thread is priceless anyway.
Old 06-09-21, 11:29 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...a good rant thread is priceless anyway.
Did I hear $3.50?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-09-21, 11:57 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Well, the "free market" or "unrestricted market" are only places where capitalism is conducted. The placing a bike on that market is controlling the means of production. The promotion (the CL ad) is the directed investment to optimize return.

The supply chain comes in many forms.
First of all, I very much appreciate your vintage bike contributions on BikeForums. And you have my unquestioned respect.

I think that you are having some misapprehension between individual buyer/seller behaviors and economic systems that enable them to a greater extent. The private buy-sell transaction that a bicycle represents is not governed by the capitalistic structure under which it may have been previously manufactured, distributed, and sold. This is simply a free market exchange. A critical element of free market exchange is, of course, the degree that the buyer and seller possess perfect information about the item in question and it's market environment.

Again, political economic theory is a separate aspect, like the theater sets and lighting, but not the dominant characteristic of the drama as it unfolds.

We should probably just talk bikes.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-09-21, 12:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
We should probably just talk bikes.
I concur

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.