Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

People not saying hi

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

People not saying hi

Old 07-06-21, 10:45 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Generally I wave or say hi to other riders and even pedestrians when o0n MUPS. ON streets, when I am close enough to riders or pedestrians I also say hi or wave. Some respond, some do not. I like to be friendly but I gather that not everyone likes to be. I do meet some riders who look so serious or grim that they do not invite a greeting at all. Some pedestrians even look a bit hostile, as if they would be damned if they would greet me. I like being friendly and feel good when I meet others who are. But, each to his own.
Old 07-06-21, 10:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12637 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
There's reported & unreported crime. When I say the crime is worse now than before, I am not talking across the nation. My concern for crime is based on a few factors; where I spend most of my time, where I reside, where I work, where I ride, where I vacation, locations I may have interests in etc etc.

Just because someone that is a time zone away from me chooses not to lock there doors, doesn't mean I'll base my doors being locked on there perceived or statistical data. Out of habit & where I came from, I'll continue to secure my belongings.
Increased door locking could be a contributor to decreasing crime rates so keep locking your doors, but at the same time don't go all Chicken Little about crime rates. And the 1950s in the USA probably weren't as idyllic as you imagine them to have been, but slightly better than the 1970s according to stats.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-06-21, 11:10 AM
Jskirbyman

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've found that once I got a spurcycle bell, I ended up ringing it and saying "hello" to most bike riders I pass. So a vote for a bell for me!
Likes For Jskirbyman:
Old 07-06-21, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
A week before Christmas of 2010 we forgot to lock our front door. Someone stole my irreplaceable Robert Beckman custom racks along with the bike they were attached to. While we were home and awake in bed watching the late news. In 1998 those racks and panniers cost not much less than what I paid for the stolen bike in 2008. The panniers only work with the racks I no longer have.
Old 07-06-21, 11:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 12:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
I generally wave to most cyclists going the opposite way, and offer a verbal greeting to those going my way as I go past them.

Shirtless guys with homemade aero bars on their hybrid scare me, though. I try to keep my distance and avoid eye contact.
Old 07-06-21, 01:24 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Why do so many people not greet riders they pass? It seems like 4/5 of the time when someone passes me they do it without even acknowledging my presence, and when they do acknowledge me its usually with something like "on your left" which takes longer than just saying hi. I salute to riders coming towards me 9 out of 10 times, and verbally greet every rider I pass even if I'm redlined sprinting. It triggers me when this happens, I wonder if its because I look like a commuter not a roadie, I always chase them down and see how their day is going when people do this to me.
You're not in Ohio anymore Toto.

LA city folks are always mad about something,'
Old 07-06-21, 01:27 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
If you're walking down the sidewalk do you say hi to everyone you pass? Probably not. While you may think that you are part of a special group and feel like you should acknowledge others, you should accept that not everyone thinks that way. It's not a put-down or slight, they just don't see it as something that has to be shared.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 07-06-21, 04:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
Actually, the plural of anecdote is data.

I said ‘The plural of anecdote is data’ some time in the 1969-70 academic year while teaching a graduate seminar at Stanford. The occasion was a student’s dismissal of a simple factual statement — by another student or me — as a mere anecdote. The quotation was my rejoinder.

--
Raymond Wolfinger

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-06-21 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-06-21, 05:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
There's reported & unreported crime. When I say the crime is worse now than before, I am not talking across the nation. My concern for crime is based on a few factors; where I spend most of my time, where I reside, where I work, where I ride, where I vacation, locations I may have interests in etc etc.

Just because someone that is a time zone away from me chooses not to lock there doors, doesn't mean I'll base my doors being locked on there perceived or statistical data. Out of habit & where I came from, I'll continue to secure my belongings.

That's the reason I don't wave. I'm afraid if I take one of my hands off of the bars, someone will steal the bike right from under me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-06-21, 05:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Actually, the plural of anecdote is data.

I said ‘The plural of anecdote is data’ some time in the 1969-70 academic year while teaching a graduate seminar at Stanford. The occasion was a student’s dismissal of a simple factual statement — by another student or me — as a mere anecdote. The quotation was my rejoinder.

--
Raymond Wolfinger

Not in my business.

Old 07-06-21, 05:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Actually, I don't wave at cyclists, I wave at their bikes.

Now, what happens when you counter-steer while waving?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-06-21, 05:52 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I generally wave to most cyclists going the opposite way, and offer a verbal greeting to those going my way as I go past them.

Shirtless guys with homemade aero bars on their hybrid scare me, though. I try to keep my distance and avoid eye contact.
Lol you would have gotten a kick out of my rear wheel if you saw it in the group ride yesterday. Crazy out of true, one of the worst ive ridden in a while,I think it sketched a few people out especially because the back brake was off, but I think they were more surprised than scared. I told them I was just riding off the back, attacked the peloton a few times and got cheered on, but didn't get in the group and let people draft me. So I didn't do anything wrong IMO, if my back wheel failed I wasn't in a position to take others out. Skipped the ride today though to play it safe
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-06-21, 05:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Lol you would have gotten a kick out of my rear wheel if you saw it in the group ride yesterday. Crazy out of true, one of the worst ive ridden in a while,I think it sketched a few people out especially because the back brake was off, but I think they were more surprised than scared. I told them I was just riding off the back, attacked the peloton a few times and got cheered on, but didn't get in the group and let people draft me. So I didn't do anything wrong IMO, if my back wheel failed I wasn't in a position to take others out. Skipped the ride today though to play it safe
If somebody passed me with a wheel wobbling so badly he had to open up the rear brake, I think I'd drop WAY back so if he ends up hitting the deck I don't have to use my crappy bunnyhopping skills to avoid him!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 06:52 PM
LarrySellerz

If somebody passed me with a wheel wobbling so badly he had to open up the rear brake, I think I'd drop WAY back so if he ends up hitting the deck I don't have to use my crappy bunnyhopping skills to avoid him!
One girl was like "woah your back brake cable is very loose!!" and I was like "yeah I took it off 500 miles ago, check my back wheel!" shes very cute and thinks im sick, was planning on asking her out until this guy a year older than my father pulled up next to me when I was on a solo ride and introduced himself with "hi larry (he knew my name lol) im racergirl's boyfriend." so I bet he sensed I was going to make a move hahaha. he is a BEAST, rides 400 miles a week according to strava and is constantly at the front of one of the fastest rides in the area, at 57 years old!

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-06-21 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-06-21, 06:58 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Violent crime is down even more than property crime, so I think that's not really true, either. People consistently overestimate the crime rate, and think it's worse now than it was 30 years ago, when exactly the opposite is true. Even the rising murder rate last year didn't even come close to the murder rate back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Starting about 1960, there was a steady rise in the rate of all crimes, for 30 years, up to a peak in about 1993 or so. Nobody knew why, though of course EVERYBODY had an opinion. Then, still with no explanation, the rates for all crimes started falling, and fell for the next 30 years. You'd think people might celebrate that, but for some reason 1) people don't seem to know it, and 2) they won't believe you if you tell them.
This has been attributed to the phasing out of leaded petrol. Contrapoints has a really good video talking about redlining in Baltimore, where she talks about black kids growing up amongst flaking leaded paint in neglected rental properties being a huge contributor to the crime/poverty merry-go-round.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-06-21, 06:59 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Saying hello forsure if passing or getting passed
I nod and/or smile

gm
Old 07-06-21, 07:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Actually, I don't wave at cyclists, I wave at their bikes.

Now, what happens when you counter-steer while waving?
you summons the waive wave.
Old 07-06-21, 07:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Kimmo
This has been attributed to the phasing out of leaded petrol. Contrapoints has a really good video talking about redlining in Baltimore, where she talks about black kids growing up amongst flaking leaded paint in neglected rental properties being a huge contributor to the crime/poverty merry-go-round.
Yep, and the concentration of lead containing emissions highest in poor neighborhoods, just like the greatest concentration of flaking lead paint. It costs a lot to be poor.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 11:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
You're exactly the kind of rider I get away from as quickly as possible. I suspect the group ride wasn't cheering you on, but mocking your comically pathetic behavior. Bad bike maintenance is not something to boast about.
Old 07-07-21, 04:35 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
When they don’t return even a nod I give a sarcastic loud HI!! It makes me feel good. 😅
Old 07-07-21, 06:32 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
It seems like 4/5 of the time when someone passes me they do it without even acknowledging my presence,
A good rule of thumb in most situations is that 4/5 of people are doing something and you are not, THEY are not the odd ones. I never understand why people walking down the street yelling into their phones and involved in other similar behaviors don't get that. I generally try not to naturally fall into aligning myself with the clueless part of the population!

Last edited by mdarnton; 07-07-21 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 07:08 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Eric F
You're exactly the kind of rider I get away from as quickly as possible. I suspect the group ride wasn't cheering you on, but mocking your comically pathetic behavior. Bad bike maintenance is not something to boast about.
They were cheering me on when I was attacking the peloton, they think im crazy but to racers in the end its speed that talks. If most of them didn't want me there I doubt they would have offered me a free road bike + full team kit (former Olympic pro owns a team and offered to hook me up.)Besides, I didn't get in the middle of the pack, just rode off the back for the most part.

No offense man but you sound a little slow, no fast rider gets passed by a fred on a hybrid and slows down for their own safety, thats just weak. If you meant you would drop my ass, then sorry I didn't mean to call you slow

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-07-21 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 07:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
There's a haiku thread currently running in C&V. It might help you get your "Hi" fix.

Man passes on bike.
He has no shirt or helmet.
Should I wave or nod?

Last edited by seypat; 07-07-21 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 08:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Should I wave or nod?
Look away.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.