Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mount rack needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-21, 01:42 PM
U.Go.Zooma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mount rack needed

I drive a 2016 Ford Escape and need advice for mount rack for 2 bikes
Old 07-10-21, 03:13 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Go to Saris, Yakima, Thule. And others. All have .com and search based on vehicle.
Old 07-10-21, 06:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by U.Go.Zooma
I drive a 2016 Ford Escape and need advice for mount rack for 2 bikes
Find someone who can install a hitch (Curt, Stealth, B&W...) and then I would look for a good rack. If non-fendered bikes I would highly suggest the Küat NV 2.0, it is not a lightweight rack but super sturdy well built and easy to use plus that TrailDoc is pretty neat. If I have fendered bikes or e-bikes I would probably go with Thule EasyFold XT which is super easy to use and move around. If you are using the rack very occasionally Saris makes some less costly racks some of which are decent quality and some could use improvement but generally at least pre-COVID they were easy to reach and get warranty support for so you had help when you had issues.

Thule, Küat and Yakima would be my top choices but hear good things about 1UP all the time (though not a fan of look of their racks but that don't matter) I would certainly avoid the cheapie brands because keep in mind these are safety items not a place to save money. You want something sturdy and that won't come loose easily and can hold the amount of bikes, weight per bike and have the overall handling capacity for what you need if not a lot more. Keep in mind as well what the PER BIKE weight is, the overall weight is important but you CANNOT exceed the PER BIKE weight especially if you are traveling on highways and places you might hit more speed or bumps.

I would avoid a trunk rack unless that is the only option that exists for the vehicle and in that case I would buy the best trunk rack possible and really check those straps often and really make sure I followed the instructions to the letter. If it is being held on with 2 or 3 straps I would avoid they really should have at least 6 straps and they should be from a reputable manufacturer. Again not a place to save money I have heard enough stories of failed trunk racks to always be leery. Trunk racks DO NOT fit all vehicles and one should not assume that many modern cars have spoilers and other things that could prevent a trunk rack from working and many decent manufacturers will have a list of things you need to do to make it usable on your specific car. Saris, Thule, Yakima all have car fitment guides where you put in Year, Make and Model and they can recommend what racks may work. However still try the hitch option first.

Before you leave shake the rack and try and move it put some pressure on it. If it is going to fail better it fails before you leave then on the road on potentially hurt someone or wreck your bike or both.

Also if you get a hitch you can get one of these: https://rubiconep.com/hitch-tent-rack-system (PS: they also make a cool hanging rack for bikes but haven't test either or seen them in person so just mentioning)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-10-21, 07:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
1UP racks are the bomb

Old 07-11-21, 02:28 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Kuat Sherpa. Possibly one of the best designed and easiest to use hitch racks out there.
Old 07-11-21, 04:18 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Choose a rack, or at least narrow down your options, before choosing a hitch, because hitches come in at least 2 sizes, and having to use an adapter is an inconvenience. If you're a skilled DIY'er, you might be able to install your own hitch. I've installed hitches from www.etrailer.com for a minivan and a newer SUV.
Old 09-29-21, 11:41 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Mount racks are available at the more extensive bicycle retailers, especially ones that specialize in touring bicycles. Some trusted brands to look for are Racktime and Tubus.
Old 09-29-21, 01:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
just strap the sucker on the front bumper! ;-)

just kidding. I have a hitch on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee & I really like having hitch mounted racks. I have a small one for just me, or me & Wifey & a big one for carrying 4 bikes. not crazy about mine, so I won't suggest them. but that old 2001 Ford Escape was a trooper!